Author Topic: Source Code Availability  (Read 7257 times)

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
Source Code Availability
« on: January 22, 2016, 10:22:35 PM »
I'm sure this has been talked about at some point in the past but I'm not coming up with anything.

Is the source code to the OP2 Mapper available anywhere? Are there any plans to update it any further?

If it is available, I'd like to take over development. If it's not, I'm seriously considering building a new application to do the job.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Re: Source Code Availability
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 05:07:17 AM »
Yes, it's available. BlackBox created a thread here: BlackBox's Megathread of Goodies
In the first post there is a link to a folder of archives: OP2 Goodies

You'll want the OP2Mapper2.rar and OP2Editor.rar packages. The First package is the VB6 source code for the front end, which implements the user interface. The second package is the C++ backend, which handles saving and loading of data.

Edit: Just went and added the OP2Editor DLL project to SVN. I'd been meaning to add it for ages.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 07:53:58 AM by Hooman »

Offline dave_erald

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 09:42:11 AM »
Well snap.

Ask and ye shall receive.
-David R.V.

-GMT400 fan
-OPU Influencer

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 01:33:34 PM »
I know who I need to go to from now on. 0.0

But woot! I like that the binary stuff was written in C++ -- will make porting it easier if I need/want to.

Will take a look at the front end and see if I can't make some improvements.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 06:18:09 PM »
Mapper2.res is missing from the Mapper2 vb6 project. Yay. Can't upgrade using VB.Net. Can't find a seeded torrent for VB6. Woot.

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 12:11:46 AM »
Just curious, has anyone looked into how far along the Outpost Mapper V3 that BlackBox started that used solely C++?

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 07:25:42 PM »
A bit but it uses several libraries that I hate (GUIChan in particular) so I gave up on it real fast. Plus it's built with Code::Blocks instead of Visual Studio and I really am not prepared to try to build a new project out of it. But that's just me.

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 09:03:24 PM »
Leeor,

You might consider checking out Tiled for some ideas. It is written in C++ and leverages Qt. I had great success using it to design maps on an old 2D game project of mine. It has a lot of features include a terrain tool that can help automatically chose border tiles where two different types of terrain meet.

You can find the latest builds on the website: http://www.mapeditor.org/download.html.
You can find the source code at: https://github.com/bjorn/tiled.

Offline dave_erald

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 09:15:24 PM »
Yeah there is that one and then this one

http://tide.codeplex.com/

Somewhere here there has to be enough usuable code to get the OP2Mapper working nicely
-David R.V.

-GMT400 fan
-OPU Influencer

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 09:36:44 PM »
Tiled is terrible. I will never use it.

Part of it is it's just plain bad. The other part is I know the programmer and he's a dick.

Plus I'm not trying to build a generic map editor -- I've already done that. I wanted to build something specifically tailored toward Outpost 2... mostly really it's just an iterative development of the efforts of OP2Mapper2.

Somewhere here there has to be enough usuable code to get the OP2Mapper working nicely

There is. What I'm effectively doing is developing a cleaner UI in a more modern version of Visual Basic with some updated tools but ultimately the underlying code (OP2Editor.dll) does exactly what we need it to do.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 09:42:48 PM by leeor_net »

Offline Vagabond

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 12:44:20 AM »
Leeor,

How far did you make it with developing a new map editor? I'm guessing this is it: https://github.com/OutpostUniverse/op2-landlord.

Hooman and I were trying to ferret out a bug in OP2Editor (the backend). If your project is far enough along to display the minimap, we could look at using it to test OP2Editor.dll against.

-Brett

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2018, 09:23:06 PM »
Yes, that's the editor I started working with.

I don't know how close the map loading code is compared to everything else. I rewrote a bunch of it to work with virtual file streams (e.g., NAS2D's FileIO functions built on top of PhysicsFS), modified some of the interfaces and cleaned up some of the code that I considered broken. I don't remember exactly what I changed, it's been awhile since I really looked at it (September me thinks?).