Author Topic: Collaborate on Project  (Read 9533 times)

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Collaborate on Project
« on: March 11, 2015, 07:56:43 AM »
Is anyone interested in collaborating on a project?

I don't have a specific project in mind. I'm more curious if anyone else here feels some motivation to do something, and would like to work with other people. I don't expect any kind of skills, but simply a willingness to try learning new things. Learning by doing is usually the best approach anyway, and everyone needs to start somewhere. I don't expect any commitment at this point. I just want to know about interest.

Please reply if this post stirs something positive in you.

If you have any specific projects in mind that you feel motivated by, don't hesitate to include that too.

Offline Lukc

• http://lukc.upyum.com
Re: Collaborate on Project
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 04:19:18 AM »
Yes sir, I might be interested!

I’m mostly interested in OP1-related stuff, however. I’m also pretty annoying with technical choices. :(

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 03:26:33 AM »
I'm generally interested... But I'm already working on a few things that I'd like to finish, first. Furthermore, I often have ideas that no one else understands which might be frustrating for both sides.

Offline Lukc

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 03:57:19 PM »
OP1 was more about surviving against a hostile universe and not about fighting other people on a hostile world. I guess I’m more a fan of difficult management games than of strategy games.

The fact that it was turn-based was also a great plus, it gives you time to think things through before making a decision. But OP1 lacked many features, so…

I’ve done mostly CLI tools programming or Linux sysadmin stuff. I’m familiar with C and Lua mostly (and the various *sh, if you can even consider that a set of languages…), though I’ve contributed to projects in other languages, like Python. I’ve also tried doing bits of web in the past, but I’m not a big fan. Of course, it’s way more acceptable to me than Java, for example.

I started writing a OP1-like a few years ago (that long, uh?) in Lua, and I initially came back to the forums a few days ago because I’ve been trying to find the motivation to restart the project.
Well, I already have some code that I could show you (and host, or put on Github, or whatever) if you’re interested, but I’m willing to trash everything if you/we decide it’s best to do something else. :p

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 05:28:21 PM »
Hooman, do you have documentation for the double unit limit hack? I can't find it anywhere, and I kinda need to know exactly what was changed in order to start looking into the unit linked list bug :P

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 10:21:21 AM »
Yeah I am interested as always but am also working on some of my own projects and such and time is limited these days. A good question might be what would be the best thing for us to work on as a community or what do people want to see?

Intresting bug Arklon!

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 12:59:45 PM »
Lukc, an Outpost 1 like game would be cool. Maybe you could work on that project in parallel with something else. I'm trying to think up something simple that could be done to get some momentum going. Something really basic. Once people are in the habit of working on one simple project, maybe the effort will spill over into additional projects.

Arklon, I had a text file detailing all changes to the binary, but I don't know where it is now. I thought it was in SVN somewhere, but I can't find it. It may have been distributed in the game package at one point. It might also have been part of the set of text files that was posted with the OllyDbg .udd file. As a long shot, I also checked the ForcedExports project. As many text files in the package detailed internal game structures, that information was incorporated into the ForcedExports project. Unfortunately, none of those locations in the SVN seem to have the text file I'm thinking of.

Leviathan, maybe the community needs to evolve away from obsessing over a 20 year old game and come up with something new. It's hard to attract new people to something so old. I think maybe we can focus on the core values and theme that people like, and try to produce something new along the same lines, but original. Also, technology has changed since Outpost 1 & 2 were released. Maybe we need to think a bit more about smart phones and browsers. I've never much liked them for games, since they don't provide as immersive of an atmosphere, but they are mass market, and good for simple games that are quick to play.

A simple game that impressed me was Sean O'Connor's Slay. I'm thinking a game that simple could be made to run in a browser. I wouldn't want to clone his game, even though it's awesome, but I'd like to create something new of a similar complexity. The rules are fairly basic and easy to learn, but they create some surprisingly intricate game play.

Perhaps a simple turn based game that can be played on a map small enough to fit on one screen, with only a handful of rules to learn and implement, and not much variety of graphics required. If it's browser based, then I think a level should take no more than a few minutes to complete, up to maybe a maximum of one hour. That also eliminates much of the need for saved games and such.

Offline Lukc

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 02:42:17 PM »
I’m pretty sure I’ll have university projects to work on in parallel. :/

And things can be made to work both on a desktop, smartphone and browser, now. (although the browser part tends to be a bit hacky)

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 02:15:20 AM »
Ahh, the life of a student.  ;)

I found if a project interested me, I found the time, but occasionally to the detriment of my grades. Of course I later found out that employers cared more about the projects I worked on here than about my grades, which were still pretty good anyway.

Browsers always struck me as a bit hacky, and with a rather perverse foundation, but in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really amount to a whole lot of different. Plus, these days the hackyness isn't nearly so bad. Some of the libraries out there actually look half decent now. It's also hard to deny that web development skills are in high demand now, so it never hurts to know something about it.

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 08:54:45 PM »
Arklon, I had a text file detailing all changes to the binary, but I don't know where it is now. I thought it was in SVN somewhere, but I can't find it. It may have been distributed in the game package at one point. It might also have been part of the set of text files that was posted with the OllyDbg .udd file. As a long shot, I also checked the ForcedExports project. As many text files in the package detailed internal game structures, that information was incorporated into the ForcedExports project. Unfortunately, none of those locations in the SVN seem to have the text file I'm thinking of.
http://forum.outpost2.net/index.php/topic,3413.msg64138.html#msg64138 I have no idea how I missed this the first time I tried searching :P

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 12:25:22 AM »
Did _A_ show up to the new IRC channel ?

She was working on a project to recreate OP2 from scratch. She got far enough that she made a small demo that could be played - though somewhat limited about what could be done. But it was working.
That was a couple of years back - probably she has gotten further on her project now.
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2015, 02:14:23 AM »
Glad to see you found that Arklon. I still don't know where the text files I was talking about are. I had one detailing all the other patches. They were smaller patches, so they were all in one file. Plus, there were text files with details on internal game structures. It'd be nice to take a look through them again. Mind you, most of that information is now in the ForcedExports project.

I haven't seen _A_ in a long time. I remember she was working on a project, and it was actually moving along, but I don't think I ever saw it myself.

Last night I tried taking a look at some of the ScStub derived classes in OllyDbg. I managed to figure out a good chunk about the structure of the Group class. I haven't looked too much at the further derived classes yet. I'll update the ForcedExports project with new information soon.

Has anyone taken a look at Slay?

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2015, 01:39:35 PM »
Did _A_ show up to the new IRC channel ?
She showed up on the OLD irc channel few months ago, but didn't share anything interesting (afaik).

Nice to see you, Highlander!

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2015, 10:08:56 PM »
Glad to see you found that Arklon. I still don't know where the text files I was talking about are. I had one detailing all the other patches. They were smaller patches, so they were all in one file. Plus, there were text files with details on internal game structures. It'd be nice to take a look through them again. Mind you, most of that information is now in the ForcedExports project.
http://forum.outpost2.net/index.php/topic,3650.0.html I think you are referring to this?

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2015, 06:55:52 AM »
Thank you Arklon, that was indeed what I was looking for. I thought I'd put a copy in the SVN, but I guess not.

I've been poking around the code in OllyDbg these last few days. I've added a number of notes concerning ScStub and derived classes (Group, BuildGroup, MineGroup, CombatBase). I looked a little into waypoints too. I haven't found the cause of the heap corruption, but the additional information might help.

I've added files to the ForcedExport project to detail some of the ScStub fields and functions I've been able to figure out.

I haven't yet added anything on waypoints. There are a few different structures regarding waypoints, each with their own memory layouts. The big one, identified in the problem, and pointed to by the Unit class, seems to be more of a tile by tile path than a simple waypoint. I probably gave it a bad name. I knew for a long time it was waypoint related, but I'd never investigated it enough to know exactly what it was, or how it was structured. It's this structure that is walked to display unit paths, when that debug feature is enabled. I've been looking through the path display code to help figure out the structure.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2015, 12:27:23 AM »
I just split some posts concerning Arklon's bug into a separate thread. Sorry if moving the posts makes the thread a little harder to follow.

There's been some interesting work on level projects this last month. There have also been some additions and updates to the SVN, including some SDK updates.

If anyone has their own projects they want to work on, feel free to commit them to SVN. You don't need to ask first. (But you do need write access, which Leviathan can set you up with, so PM him if you're curious). You also don't need a finished or polished project. The SVN is meant for works in progress.

I'm currently looking into some bugs, and updates to existing projects. I'll also take a look at any new code people commit, and see where I can help out.

I still think it'd be neat if we started some kind of web based project.

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2015, 06:29:58 PM »
Leviathan, maybe the community needs to evolve away from obsessing over a 20 year old game and come up with something new. It's hard to attract new people to something so old. I think maybe we can focus on the core values and theme that people like, and try to produce something new along the same lines, but original. Also, technology has changed since Outpost 1 & 2 were released. Maybe we need to think a bit more about smart phones and browsers. I've never much liked them for games, since they don't provide as immersive of an atmosphere, but they are mass market, and good for simple games that are quick to play.
Hooman yes I do agree with you, without a newer game the community is not going to go far. Overall I think we need a project that can be something we can all contribute. A simple yet fun strategy builder type game. Something that can attract your average RTS gamer that is easy to learn and get into.

I found this interesting browser based RTS that is fairly popular reddit.com/r/Littlewargame

Slay looks interesting and it can't be too hard to code something similar. And your right, it would make most sense to start with something simple and then hopefully later attempt something more ambitious.

Please upload any source code you have to the SVN. And PM me if you need an account.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2015, 02:24:31 PM »
Would love some help with my project: http://forum.outpost2.net/index.php/topic,5718.0.html

-shameless plug-

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2015, 04:59:13 PM »
Strongly considering it.

I'll probably have nothing to do tomorrow, or the next few days, and will likely just be spending time on my computer. Had a pile of paperwork to get through when you first posted about it. Was a great relief to finally submit the paperwork today.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2015, 10:18:09 PM »
Surprised I missed this post.

But hey, since my code is at least not making anybody's eyes bleed and I've had a few people express interest, I think once Lev gets an Outpost Universe Redmine install setup [glares at Leviathan] I can get a few tasks set up in it and we can pick and choose what we want to take on to move it forward.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2015, 03:12:34 AM »
That would be neat. I'd like to play with Redmine.

The downside to my earlier paperwork, is that it's landed me somewhere with restricted internet access, and no convenient access. This may hamper my communication for a little while. Mind you, I've downloaded your source, so I suppose I really have no excuse for not looking at it. :p

I'm tempted to suggest I'll also have fewer distractions, but I have a feeling I'll just develop a new set of distractions. :p

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2015, 10:49:50 AM »
Ah, so basically you're me. Awesome. lol.

I've pushed a bunch of updates since the last time you downloaded unless you've grabbed the new commits in the last day or so. UI code is starting to get ugly though (seems no matter what language or framework you use UI code is always ugly).

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2015, 09:45:15 PM »
Good to know. I'll try pulling changes while I have a connection.