Author Topic: Hello From Southern Nevada  (Read 5806 times)

Offline coyclayton

Hello From Southern Nevada
« on: July 18, 2012, 11:13:29 PM »
Greetings to the board!  I was (am) a huge fan of OP1.  I have always been a simulation/software toy fan and found that OP1 struck a nice balance between macro and micro management.  Playing the game as a kid was also my fall from innocence when I discovered that most big game studios can and do lie about their products.

I've had it in mind for some time now to build an online version of outpost 1.   Given recent (2-3 years) advances in HTML5, Javascript, FOSS database and programming languages there is no technology reason why we couldn't create an OP1 reboot that is entirely browser based.

We would, of course, have the advantage of being able to correct all the crippling errors that were present in the original version while throwing some multiplayer  goodness in as well.

I am a full time developer with the skills, hardware, and network resources to make this happen.  While attempting to do this in the past I've found myself getting mired down in the minutia of game design.  As such the project(s) never really got off the ground as I'd expend my creative energy on the design and have nothing left to power through code.

I know this community needs another empty or idle project like it needs a hole in the head.   But if you folks could get excited about something like this, I'd be willing to put in some real development effort.  (Help on the development side would rock too!)

Offline Spikerocks101

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 01:31:12 AM »
Hello!

Well, honestly, we don't mind new projects, just we haven't been getting pumped about any new attempts in a while. You will get a fair bit of support (maybe just morale) for a project here, of course.

But yeah, welcome to the community. Our med centers have been idle for quit a while, so we lose some people here and there, but our nursery is always on :D
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Venera

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 08:01:58 AM »
Welcome!

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 12:52:02 AM »
Heh, I've found myself thinking you could probably implement Outpost 2 in a web browser with some of these HTML5 improvements. Not that I would really want to go quite that far. Well, I suppose sound might still be an issue. I've heard a number of things about the new audio tag that suggests it's maybe not quite fully developed and entirely useful for certain gaming purposes. At least not without the occasional quirks.

A web based Outpost game would be kind of cool though. I'm hesitant to promise help though. I'm generally far too busy these days to devote much time here, plus I've never considered myself much of a web programmer. Maybe I might be able to dabble if it was easy enough to do. We could probably provide hosting for such a project if it gets somewhere, and you're welcome to use the SVN repository if you'd like.

Welcome.

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 02:21:46 AM »
Welcome coyclayton

I only really know Outpost 2 and never found the time to play Outpost 1, so I won't be able to motivate you much. I also won't be able to help too much. But every Outpost related project is good, so go for it!

Just one curious question: Why would one favor a browser based game over a standalone program? It adds an overhead for runtime-compiling, a dependency of a webserver and I guess, you are more limited.

Offline coyclayton

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 05:49:50 PM »
Thanks for the welcomes!!  :D

Hooman, I understand being extremely busy, its all good.  I've go a virtually unlimited amount of digital resources (read large private VM environment) so I'll be set on that bit.  However, your offer is both generous and greatly appreciated!

TH300,  my choice of a browser-centric approach basically spawns from the following:
- Its easy and fast.
- Platform agnostic (for the most part)
- Technology is free and available.
- I want to be able to play from my smartphone.
- Trivial to make multiplayer (which is one of my major goals)
- No new investment in either tech, knowledge, or $$ to pull off.

I agree that it will be limiting in the area of 3d  and the like,  but the success of Travian demonstrated to me that that you don't necessarily have to have a wild, immersive 3d experience so long as the game itself is fun and engaging! :)

I'm going to start putting together a mindmap of components and architecture ideas,  perhaps you folks would be willing to comment and provide feedback?

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 01:36:24 AM »
Feedback is easy enough. And I can even fool myself that it won't take much time. :)
(Trying to give good feedback generally takes way longer than I initially expect it to).

I hadn't thought about the smart phone idea. (But then, I don't own a cell phone).
You also make a point about platform independence too.
Mac/PC

Some of the other points don't strike me as being unique to web programming, and some are perhaps contrary to my opinion on the matter, but still, this is all forgetting the most important reason to do pretty much anything:
It would be really neat!  :)

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 03:05:39 AM »
I'd say, the "easy and fast"-argument depends on how familiar you are with the technology. The smartphone argument is imo the best reason for making it browser based. I don't own a smartphone, but I acknowledge that many people do, who will probably love to play Outpost on it.

I will gladly give you feedback. I may even help with coding once the foundation is there. Depends on how much time I have and how well I understand your code and ideas.

Offline Cs3v3n

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 09:37:17 AM »
This is such Interesting!!!

I'd like to help you on doing this if you need.

I have to say something....My first adventure on Outpost was, the second edition (Outpost 2) , the 1st edition I don't even know it.

So , we must be sure wich of them choose, and we have to build a team to realize something like that.

I'm glad there are people like you, I'm happy :D

Offline Hidiot

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 06:23:35 PM »
First off, welcome to our little corner of paradise (or whichever equivalent suits your fancy).

Second, I think OP1 is better suited for a brower conversion. Turn based is easier (and more natural) to turn into a browser game than rts.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 01:27:13 AM »
Second, I think OP1 is better suited for a brower conversion. Turn based is easier (and more natural) to turn into a browser game than rts.
Agreed.

Offline coyclayton

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 06:51:24 PM »
Awesome folks!!!   Thanks for the input.  I'm actually getting a bit excited about this.  As I said before I'm working on putting a mind-map together that will lay out some of the idea's and foundational concepts (software, hardware, and game) gleaned from some of my previous projects.  When that's  done I imagine it'll be wise to start another thread.

Offline Cs3v3n

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 06:21:54 PM »
Perfect, however I think , it's a good idea to start already to put your ideas and post them and amplify that in group.

You will spent less time to do this by yourself.

The choice is yours. I'm curios to know how do you wanna begin.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 10:08:12 AM »
belated welcoms!  lol

I'm always in support of new projects, and willing to help where I can...though, I'm a chemical engineer, not a coder, heh

I am self-taught in some webcoding (mainly HTML and PHP, still working on javascript very slowly) and can dedicate an hour or two here and there to helping out where I can.

Unfortunately, with how many projects have burried themselves, people tend to be a bit cynical towards new ones.  Don't let that discourage you, though!  Maybe your's is the one that will turn those opinions around :D
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names