Author Topic: Code Repository  (Read 2559 times)

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Code Repository
« on: March 20, 2012, 01:07:28 AM »
A while back I noticed I couldn't commit to the Gitorious based Git repository that BlackBox setup. Shortly thereafter, I also noticed I couldn't clone from it either. I've poked around at it a bit, but so far I haven't been able to figure out what's going on. I also haven't heard back from BlackBox on the issue.

This got me thinking though. I have the (somewhat unfounded) feeling, that development sort of dropped off at about the point when we switched from SVN to Git. I was wondering if perhaps the switch-over had something to do with it? Personally, I felt I avoided Git a bit because I didn't know how to use it and I didn't want to spend the time to really sit down and read up on it. I was perhaps hoping the switch-over would give me some incentive, and maybe it has a little, but not really enough to feel totally comfortable with the new tool. I've been wondering if other people have had similar experiences?

I do believe Git has some nice features over SVN, but I also feel it's a little less user friendly. I find commands are a little less obvious, as is the typical workflow (although it's not that different), and the user guides are a little less clear and developed, as is general support on the internet (although this is improving). I've also found, in particular, that TortoiseGit is a bit more clunky to install and use than TortoiseSVN. I also get the feeling that Git is harder for the average person to understand, given a few examples, than say SVN.

Given all that, and that our user base here doesn't necessarily have the expertise of say, the Linux Kernel team, I've been wondering if perhaps SVN might be a more sensible tool choice to use here. Using SVN would mean losing out on a few nice features of Git, but if nobody understands how to use Git, nobody will benefit from those extra features anyway. That, and SVN was working for us. It had all the features we really needed, and lots of people seemed comfortable enough with it to actually use it. So, after considering all that, my big question is:

Should we switch back to using SVN?

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Code Repository
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 07:29:39 AM »
A while back I noticed I couldn't commit to the Gitorious based Git repository that BlackBox setup
Its likely missing permissions. Some time ago I pm'ed BlackBox, asking for write permissions for one of my own projects, got no response.

Personally, I felt I avoided Git a bit because I didn't know how to use it and I didn't want to spend the time to really sit down and read up on it.
The same happened to me. But I finally learned how to use git. Was too late, apparently. And I'm still not remotely as familiar with it as I am with SVN.

I do believe Git has some nice features over SVN, but I also feel it's a little less user friendly.
I fully agree.

Should we switch back to using SVN?
I personally don't care, which is easier to use. Additional features are nice, but not needed. What's important: Which of the two is available to us. Seeing that GIT is not useable and probably won't be for a few years, I see no other option than switching back to SVN.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Code Repository
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 03:20:17 AM »
I'd also like to point out that the old SVN database is still around, including all login names and (randomly assigned) passwords. I've actually re-activated it for personal use so I can keep track of some recent website updates. I haven't opened it to the outside world again though at this point.

It would be very easy to simply re-activate external access to it.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Code Repository
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 04:56:45 AM »
Well, there isn't much opinion being voiced here, and even less dissension. I'm thinking I'll go ahead and reactivate the old SVN repository. That way we at least have something usable.

All existing user accounts and passwords are still active (for write access). If you've forgotten it, or didn't have an account previously, you can PM me for write access.

The repository is publicly accessible for read access, so anyone that is interested can take a peak at what's in it.

If you need an SVN client, you can try:   TortoiseSVN
To access the repository use:   svn://68.146.111.58/outpost2

I've recently committed patches to the NetFix code for the update released a few months ago, and also the website changes from this last week.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 04:58:33 AM by Hooman »