Author Topic: World's Intro To Opu  (Read 3577 times)

Offline World

World's Intro To Opu
« on: December 18, 2010, 07:03:34 AM »
Those who end up reading this will find that I am new to OPU. I've been visiting the site and forum for a few months now and decided to make my presence known. A few months ago I came across an old copy of Outpost 2 and went and installed it. I played the campaign a bit but got bored of how it played out, though the story I enjoyed a lot. After going on the internet and reading through the story I decided to explore the next part of the game, the Colony Games!

Here is where I really fell in love with the game. But again it fell a little short of what I expected. The game had so much potential but the developers didn't seem to build much on what they had made. I craved more and decided to do a google and search for downloadable content. Thats when OPU came into play.

I thought the chances of finding content on the game were slim and that it would be lucky to find a wikipedia page about it. You could imagine how surprised I was to discover there was a thriving community based around the game. I dug into the site taking in as much as I could. After reading the posts and experiencing the new game versions I came to the conclusion that I should register to the site.

-----------------------

This brings us to now. Hi all!!! Sorry for the dull beginning but it had to be said. So now, what to talk about? Hmm, well first off you can call me World, or Chris if you prefer more real names. Next off I just have to say this place is absolutely amazing! Like really. After all these years people still play this game. Or games if you play the first one too. Personally the first one is a bit too turn based for my likings but what ever floats your boat is... well up to your boat.

But the second one! My god it had so much potential I don't get how the developers didn't see that. Or perhaps there was some financial crisis who knows. Any who it's awesome to see that I'm not the only one out there who enjoys building up a colony only to have it destroyed by an opposing colony. Or maybe you enjoy being the dominant colony. It's your boat mate  :P

Ok so I'm going to introduce you to my OP2 experience. I've played it a bit and have mastered how to stabilize a colony but I've never gone too deep into the combat. Partly because I get enough of that with other RTS's and partly because I don't think this game really needs it. But I suppose if you're going to be apart of this community you better know how to kill each other.

So it comes down to this, I have never completed an offline game that wasn't on easy or below. Meaning only on easy... Why? Well I'm sorry you asked, but it's because I always seem to get my ass kicked by the opposing team. That embarrassing fact aside I have played a few multiplayer games with my brother which either ended in one of us rage quiting (being siblings makes being beaten by the other quite hard to face) or quiting out of sheer boredom as we're sitting in the same room for hours directing how we play the game and deciding it better we go off and do something else.

Now please please pleeeease don't let what I've said above help your decision on whether or not I'd be worthy of competing against over the internet because the above had entirely to do with me only playing with my sibling. When it comes to online I am all for the game, even if I do suck at it. Not saying I "do" suck at this game, but I am a bit inexperienced seeing as I only just started playing it again after not playing it since childhood.

For those who may want to kick my butt at an online game my time zone is US Central. At the time this is being posted it is 7:03 AM. Hope you had a nice read  :lol:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 07:08:25 AM by World »
"I fart in your general direction!" (Said with a french accent. Love you Monty Python."

Offline World

World's Intro To Opu
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 07:36:18 AM »
Oh and I forgot. We should discuss my possible contribution to this community. Well now... I'm not good at all at programming so don't even ask. Though learning how to work with programming this game isn't out of the question. (I have a bit more free time than I'd like to admit) My creativity however might be of some use. That is if there is any use of creativity. I might not be able to get pixelated characters to move or add a new mechanic to games but I can however come up with ideas for various things. Among those various things I can write stories and come up with gameplay ideas, or spend a good few hours making up a picture or two. Though writing stories won't improve what everyone cares about, and that's the game itself. We'll see what I can and will do  B)  
"I fart in your general direction!" (Said with a french accent. Love you Monty Python."

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
World's Intro To Opu
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 08:21:25 AM »
Hello World! (wow, I can't believe that I write this at a place other than source code)

Its great that you see as much potential in op2 as most of us do. The lack of enough Colony games always frustrated me, either. But since we have multiplayer, that doesn't matter too much for me.

People have for a long time tried to create new content and some succeeded. Recently, more people are working on new stuff and more advanced stuff is getting done, but on the other hand its still going slowly. If you want to be part of this Community its a good thing if you're patient and can wait months or years for new stuff.

If you want to contribute, you could probably give some of us ideas for new maps/missions, until you are able to code your own.

If you want to play with us, you should join us on irc: If you already got an irc client, join #outpost2 on irc.outpost2.net. Otherwise follow these instructions.

Edit: sorry, Spike. I had to correct this typo
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 02:09:50 PM by TH300 »

Offline Spikerocks101

World's Intro To Opu
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 02:03:59 PM »
It would have been funny TH300 if you spelt "Hello" correctly :P

Either way, Hello World! The community loves anything really. I really advise you to join the IRC, if your going to play online or not, since we need more people to use it. As for online, most of us here aren't super pros (Sirbomber, is probably the most active player who can kick any ones butt). Either way, welcome to the forums!
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
World's Intro To Opu
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 02:43:32 PM »
As for online, most of us here aren't super pros (Sirbomber, is probably the most active player who can kick any ones butt). Either way, welcome to the forums!
We have a wide variance of skill under opu members. And there are many types of games you can play. Its not all about combat, not everything is Last One Standing player vs player. There is also player vs ai (survivor), where it doesn't matter so much if you are weak.

And seriously, Sirbomber is not the most active player, currently. Its Flashy or Highlander.

Edit: sorry about that. My mind seems to be screwed today
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 03:10:51 PM by TH300 »

Offline Spikerocks101

World's Intro To Opu
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 03:42:33 PM »
Sirbomber is probably the best player active in the forums atm. I meant that. As for the IRC, I don't know.
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
World's Intro To Opu
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 08:00:23 PM »
Hello World!
Groan!  <_<

Ahh who am I kidding. That was awesome. I'm wondering if it was a deliberate setup.  ;)