Author Topic: Forum, Website, Wiki Upgrades  (Read 4029 times)

Offline Drakmar

Forum, Website, Wiki Upgrades
« on: August 28, 2010, 07:55:02 AM »
It's been a little while since I've posted, but I decided that I would post my opinion on the "Website Updates" topic on the main page. I realize that it was posted back in March, but I didn't see any thread in the forums discussing it. If it has been discussed already, I apologize for the unnecessary thread.

In my opinion, the forums as they no longer sufficiently serve the purpose that they are needed for, and thus it is time to upgrade them. There are several new and regularly updated forum software, phpBB being a great choice (in my humble opinion). However, as the current database for the forums is undoubtedly incompatible with any current or semi-current software, I feel that, rather than lose everything, it should be locked and archived, allowing us to have a new set of software, as well as all the information, posts, and history we've accumulated over the years.

That said, I feel there is an even more definite need for a new main page, though I personally dislike the idea of the main page being a wiki page, though I do see the advantages, and would not be overly opposed to it. Whatever the case, a cleaner and more informative front page (with fewer broken links) would be a big improvement for all of us, especially if we are to try and bring "fresh blood" to our diminishing community.

I agree that the current wiki system is a total mess right now, and personally feel that it would likely be easier to start from scratch, than try to fix all of the problems with it.

It's a big task, and I am more than willing to devote some of my time and skill to helping bring the Outpost Universe to the present. I know a bit of SQL (MySQL specifically), have worked with graphics (both 2d and 3d), know how to work a little bit on a web page layout, and have had my hand in phpBB. I can also help out with posting new/updated binaries and installers for Outpost 1 and 2 (including an Mac OS X version for those with a MacBook/iMac/Mac Pro). So, should it be decided that this is something that is going to be done, I would love to help out in any way that is required.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 08:07:51 AM by Drakmar »

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 12:03:41 PM »
IPB is updated fairly regularly, we just can't seem to find the liscense information at this time.  A replacement project was in the works, but I haven't heard anything new on that in a long while.

As I see it, the front page is informative enough.  Information overload is very unattractive to new people, and the current ammount leaves room for curiosity.  However, the broken link issue should be addressed (by someone other than me.  I don't have enough time for working on my own site, lol).

Personally, I think the wiki is a failed concept.  We have multiple people adding content without editing preview, and noone who maintains it.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Drakmar

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 12:08:38 PM »
As I see it, the front page is informative enough.  Information overload is very unattractive to new people, and the current ammount leaves room for curiosity.  However, the broken link issue should be addressed (by someone other than me.  I don't have enough time for working on my own site, lol).

Personally, I think the wiki is a failed concept.  We have multiple people adding content without editing preview, and noone who maintains it.
The front page is informative, just not as "pretty" as a lot of people are accustomed to. Perhaps a nicer looking page would seem more attractive to new people?

I do agree with you on the wiki issue though. As useful as it would be, it just isn't feasible to maintain properly with the current state of things. This is, of course, my opinion.

Offline Spikerocks101

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 01:06:08 PM »
Lol. I remember making this is paint as a option for a front page: http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/9068/opusitequick.jpg
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 02:25:49 PM »
I agree the main page isn't very pretty, and we should try to improve it. Also, the image of Mars is just too obviously Mars. We should probably change that. I know some people on the forums have posted some nice New Terra images. Maybe we should select one of those?

Hmm, maybe the website needs a content contest. :P

However, the broken link issue should be addressed
I'm not aware of any broken links currently affecting the website. I just did a quick check and didn't notice any.

Also, I've been thinking we should package the downloads in multiple archive formats. I've already uploaded the Outpost 2 download in a few alternate formats recently, but I haven't changed the linking on the download page to point to them. We should probably also link to the archiving programs needed to unpack them. I figure .zip, .7z, and .rar would be worthwhile.

Keep in mind, a copy of the code for the website can be found at:
svn://68.146.111.58/outpost2/Web/www/trunk
You'll need an SVN client to grab it, such as TortoiseSVN.
It's publicly readable, so anyone can poke around and try doing something with it, but you'll have to PM me for an account if you want write access. Drakmar, I just set you up.

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 05:46:03 PM »
Yes, the topic has been discussed: http://forum.outpost2.net/index.php?showtopic=4923

I wonder if BlackBox is still working on it or maybe he's busy with other things... But I don't really care as long as this place is still usable. And we're really lucky to have this site with a working forum, a wiki (it may be broken, but its still better than nothing), irc, svn and lots of webspace. (thanks)