8 (57.1%)
No
3 (21.4%)
Don't own a cellphone
2 (14.3%)
Huh?
1 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: Smartphones  (Read 4142 times)

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Smartphones
« on: August 06, 2010, 08:38:52 PM »
I figured I would ask this since it seems a majority of us are large tech users and it hasn't been asked yet:

Do you own or use a smartphone? (or plan to get one?) If so, what one and what carrier do you use?

I used to think that the concept of smartphones were kind of a dumb idea (i.e. what's the point cause I can do all this stuff on a computer) but it's something that has really come in handy for me as I have to check my email multiple times a day among other things that I need to be connected to the internet for.

I own an HTC Dream (marketed as T-Mobile G1 in the US), unlocked and rooted (currently running Android 2.1; I have been lazy with updating to 2.2 but will do it soon). I'm using it on AT&T (not the greatest carrier there is but there aren't really many options where I live, and I am in a contract with them until the end of the month). It's a bit sluggish at times (older phone) but not enough to make the phone unusable.

Offline Angellus Mortis

Smartphones
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 09:51:02 PM »
I plan to get a Droid X (or other Droid phone) soon. I have Verizon and just got it, so I plan to wait a bit to upgrade.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Smartphones
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 11:16:13 PM »
Yeah, I am waiting for LTE to be rolled out on the major carriers, at that point I will probably get a new phone that's 4G-capable. (The good part is that almost all the major carriers in the US at least have committed to using LTE, that means you'll be able to use the same phone with multiple carriers, none of the current GSM for AT&T/Tmobile and CDMA for Verizon/Sprint BS and having to get a new phone that supports whatever standard the carrier you choose happens to use).
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 11:16:38 PM by BlackBox »

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Smartphones
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 02:11:01 AM »
moto android love it but i also loved my old phones kept me connected these new ones tho are more entertainment oriented.  tho there are some practical apps.

i dont want to hear any thing about iphone rules crap either. it dont it really doesnt.  there isnt much difference in what you can do with the phones apple or droid or palm based.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 02:14:35 AM by Freeza-CII »

Offline Simpsonboy77

Smartphones
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 07:57:55 PM »
I have a 7 year old phone, and I love it. I'm not that good at using a cell phone, and I have no reason to need to change it. Plus I don't want to have to learn how to operate another phone.  My phone is Motorola V551, V547, V555, V540, or V557. I don't know which one it is, they all had the same FCC ID.

Every 2 years I get a new phone, just in case it breaks. My phone doesn't get much use.

The best feature: a removable antenna. Its the perfect size to hit a reset button on a router, or other embedded device.

My tutorials
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Smartphones
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 10:18:19 PM »
I hate how many features my current cellphone has, why would i want one that has more?  I want a phone that's just a phone, yet that's impossible to get unless you're way over the hill
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Smartphones
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 10:49:42 AM »
For the 50th time, stop necroing old topics.

Topic locked