Author Topic: Graphical Pdf Techtree  (Read 3599 times)

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Graphical Pdf Techtree
« on: July 07, 2010, 07:01:38 PM »
Greetings all,

Since I had absolutely nothing to do today, I got the strange idea to write a program that could automatically generate a viewable tree graph of all the techs in OP2 based on an input techtree file from sheets.vol.

A couple of hours later I had a working techtree graph generator. For the technically inclined/interested, it's a (currently) 130 line perl script that parses a given input techtree file (for example multitek.txt) and generates a graphviz input file. (If you're not familiar, graphviz is a set of tools to auto-generate nice looking graphs from a text based definitions file. It's open-source and can be used to generate some pretty nice looking things). This input file was then processed using the 'dot' tool from graphviz to actually generate a pdf file containing a graph of the techs in OP2 and what techs depend upon what. (They are also arranged spatially by tech level).

You can download the PDF of multitek.txt (the techtree used for multiplayer and colony games) from http://blackbox.outpost2.net/multitek.pdf

Techs have a colored background to indicate if they can only be researched by one race (blue for Eden, red for Plymouth). The name of the tech will be in bold if it is researched in the Advanced Lab.

Known issues right now:
* There are two copies of "robot-assist mechanic" and possibly a couple others. This has to do with the fact that there are some "dummy" techs meant for unlocking certain structures and vehicles at certain times (since the tech level corresponds to the number of the campaign mission, for the campaign, which are actually in two different files, edentek.txt and ply_tek.txt), or sometimes there are different attributes for the same tech for different races (for example Eden can't research Heat Dissipation Systems till late in the game; Plymouth can do it almost right away). My script does not do any merging of tech names (it really couldn't in this case because the requirements for the Eden and Plymouth versions are different).
* Some of the lines are pushed together and really hard to differentiate. This is related due to the fact that the graph was generated by a computer program, it could probably be fixed by some tweaking of the parameters that control the layout of the graph within the dot program.
* Certain vehicles/etc get unlocked at certain tech levels; these are special techs in the techtree file with a cost of 0. These aren't displayed cause it clutters the layout considerably and aren't "true" techs in the sense that you would actually research them.

Let me know if you have any questions or comments! I eventually plan on releasing this script, so people can generate graphs for their custom techtree files.
-- BlackBox
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 07:02:28 PM by BlackBox »

Offline evecolonycamander

Graphical Pdf Techtree
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 08:26:22 PM »
.pdf dose not work on this computer for me. can you make some sort of version that dose not require it to be in .pdf format?
''The blight cant get us up here!''
-famous last words
--------------o0o--------------
Outpost 2: EoM project status: Re-planning

Offline Sirbomber

Graphical Pdf Techtree
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 10:52:02 PM »
Maybe you should download the necessary software so that .pdf does work.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Graphical Pdf Techtree
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 11:44:14 PM »
well m on my laptop now and wow.. nice.
-famous last words

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Graphical Pdf Techtree
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 12:03:24 AM »
Rendered as an SVG (another vector graphics format):

http://blackbox.outpost2.net/multitek.svg

Most modern browsers should be capable of opening this without special software or anything else.

Graphical Pdf Techtree
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 10:25:41 AM »
some of the tech will pop out of here boxes when you are at specific zooms
-famous last words

Offline op2rules

• op2rules.net
Graphical Pdf Techtree
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 10:12:41 AM »
Wow this is brilliant, you should take more days off Hacker :P
Checkout my website, op2rules.net. It has free games, software, and snappy guides. Oh and did I mention the uber friendly community forums?
Life to me is a simple game that I utterly win at.
 ^--- GD Text Generati

Offline Angellus Mortis

Graphical Pdf Techtree
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 12:47:04 PM »
Thanks BlackBox. Great help. Did you get the idea from the discussion we had that one day in IRC?

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Graphical Pdf Techtree
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 01:21:40 PM »
The lines get a bit tangled, but this does give a great visual aid.  I would suggest making it a bit more linear, though.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Graphical Pdf Techtree
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 04:07:42 PM »
Thats pretty nice already. But there's still place for improvements:
- people will never need a combined Eden+Plymouth techtree, hence you should split it
- the format is a bit impractical (for printing)
- you could make it clearer if you allowed only downward arrows
- maybe change the layout to something that goes from left to right
- improve the overall optical appearance

wait... I'm probably asking for too much. So if you can't or don't want to change it, tell me and I will make my own techtree
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 04:10:22 PM by TH300 »

Graphical Pdf Techtree
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 07:40:27 AM »
- people will never need a combined Eden+Plymouth techtree, hence you should split it

im working on a combined tech tree. or was that not your point
-famous last words

Offline Spikerocks101

Graphical Pdf Techtree
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 08:53:44 AM »
He means, if your going to play as Eden, and use the tech tree image as a reference, no use having things on there that are only used by Plymouth.
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!