Author Topic: Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition  (Read 1755 times)

Offline elwood_s

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition
« on: June 02, 2010, 03:05:49 PM »
I've been working on what I hope will be an improved version of BlackBox's old Plymouth Cold War colony game (Modified "Plymouth Cold War"...).  I'm currently using MSVC 2008 Express (because it's free) but have run into some dependency issues.  

I've found that Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition can still be downloaded from Softpedia.

Although I think I've solved the dependency problem for now, if MSVC++ 2005 Express can use the same LibCTiny that works so well with MSVC 6.0 perhaps that would be a better way to go.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 06:21:24 PM by elwood_s »

Offline gpgarrettboast

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 04:00:09 PM »
Hmm.. Is this link the origin of the libctiny library? http://github.com/leepa/libctiny
If not; to quote the link: "This version is built as a Visual Studio 2008 project for your usage anywhere you like." I think they may have ported it up to 2008, but am unsure if the library will work in the OP2 DLLs.. I haven't tried it ^^; But if it works, you could statically link it without the additional MSVC dependency..

Offline elwood_s

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 06:07:46 PM »
Hmm.. Is this link the origin of the libctiny library? http://github.com/leepa/libctiny
I'm pretty sure that's not the one.  I'm asking about the older custom LibCTiny that's favored by programmers here for use with MSVC 6, but doesn't work with 2008.  I'm hoping that the Good-Old LibCTiny will be compatible with Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition too, since it was the free, stripped-down version of MSVC 6.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 07:26:34 PM by elwood_s »

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 01:15:32 AM »
I believe that code from the link is derived from the same source, but I don't know how similar it is. The LibCTiny was from an MSDN Magazine article by Matt Pietrek, who is referenced at the bottom of that page. It seems to be a fork of the original project with some changes for the new compiler, and possibly some additions too.

I haven't really examined the source, but I did grab the project and it compiled fine right out of the box (in debug mode). To change it to a release build go to Build -> Configuration Manager..., and set the Active Solution Configuration to Release. Either which way though, the .lib file it produces is quite a bit larger. (303KB debug, 284KB release vs. the old size of 15KB).

I find it a little unnerving that it comes with some .obj files though. I would have liked to have seen their source. They appear to be assembled from asm source. I imagine they are distributed as .obj files to spare people the trouble of having to setup an external assembler to compile the project.