Author Topic: Judgment Day  (Read 14154 times)

Offline Sirbomber

Judgment Day
« on: March 30, 2010, 11:41:56 PM »
It's odd that I never released this... It's been more or less ready for over a year!

Anyways, here's the setup:

It happened without warning or explanation.  One of the Advanced Labs exploded, taking several nearby structures and the colony's top leaders and scientists with it.  For several minutes afterwards, frantic messages flooded the comms networks: desperate pleas for help, tearful goodbyes from loved ones, and emergency evacuation notices all poured in from the mother colony.  And then, just as suddenly as it had began, the messages stopped.

The danger is not past.  One of the last messages received warned of a bio-agent as part of a terraforming experiment gone horribly wrong.  It is lethal to humans, and it will continue to spread until the entire planet is consumed.  The only option is to escape to the stars.

There is one glimmer of hope, however: several years ago the original starship that brought us to New Terra crashed on the other side of the planet.  Analysis indicates there are two sites with salvageable wreckage.  Reverse-engineering that technology could be the key to our survival.

But for now there are more pressing concerns.  The survivors must relocate their colony, and have very little time to do it.  Food storages are low and rapidly diminishing, making long-distance travel impossible.  To make matters worse, the survivors have separated, and it is unknown whether the other colonies are still friendly.

Move quickly, Commander.  The fate of humanity lies in your hands.
Extinction is not an option.

In summary:
-You have about five minutes to evacuate before the Blight infects your colony.  Get out of there as fast as you can.
-You don't have enough food for a long-distance evacuation.  Find any suitable spot for your new colony as quickly as possible, and prepare to evacuate again.
-There are two wreckage sites on the map.  Use Scouts to find the wreckage, and move a Cargo Truck to the beacon to retrieve it.  Unload the Cargo Truck at a Spaceport to receive a free starship technology.  But be careful!  Wreckage is limited and valuable, and you may find the people you thought were your friends may not have the best of intentions...
-If morale is set to unsteady, you will still get 250 marks of steady morale, after which morale will become unsteady.  Plan accordingly!

Known Bugs:
-The "have an Agridome or food in a Cargo Truck or you starve" code doesn't work (actually, it's not even in this).  I have no idea how to implement this.  Same for the "have at least one structure or enough Evacuation Transports or everyone dies" code.

Possible Bugs:
-I can't remember if sharing of Lava/Microbe Wall techs works...

Download here.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 12:14:20 PM by Sirbomber »
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Flashy

Judgment Day
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 09:01:08 AM »
Something about the "have an Agridome or food in a Cargo Truck or you starve":
Isn't the food stored in the Command Center?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 09:03:05 AM by Flashy »
Praise the mighty light towers!!!

Offline Sirbomber

Judgment Day
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 11:56:23 AM »
Uhhh... No?

Why would you think that?
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline Flashy

Judgment Day
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 12:00:40 PM »
I've read it in the manual... somewhere
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 12:03:07 PM by Flashy »
Praise the mighty light towers!!!

Offline Kayedon

Judgment Day
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 09:25:53 PM »
Are Flashy and I the only two who ever read the manual?

Agridomes are the source of Food in your colony. Under normal circumstances, they produce 40 units of food; this may vary with your colony's Morale. One unit will feed one Colonist. If your Agridomes are producing more Food than is needed to feed your Colonists, the surplus is stored in the emergency bunker beneath the Command Center. This emergency bunker has an unlimited Food storage capacity. You may load Food on Cargo Trucks by driving the truck to the loading dock at an Agridome.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 09:26:05 PM by Kayedon »
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Offline Sirbomber

Judgment Day
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 09:40:46 PM »
No, you're just the only ones who care. :P

It's called gameplay/story segregation.  Deal with it!

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Judgment Day
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 10:37:32 PM »
or increase your daily tanknoob intake until your brain runs out of your nose
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Sirbomber

Judgment Day
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 10:43:50 PM »
Actually, exposure to Tankn0[size=0] [/size]0b has been shown to increase brain activity.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Judgment Day
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 10:45:35 PM »
only for a small ammount of time :P
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Judgment Day
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 01:59:08 AM »
Known Bugs:
-The "have an Agridome or food in a Cargo Truck or you starve" code doesn't work (actually, it's not even in this).  I have no idea how to implement this.  Same for the "have at least one structure or enough Evacuation Transports or everyone dies" code.
I assume you are referring to having it as an "if X happens, do Y" kinda thing (not so much a victory condition but if these conditions fail to be met then it kills colonists off).

The way I would think about doing it would be to check for the existence of an agridome or cargotruck with food in it inside AIProc (use enumerators to do this). If this isn't satisfied then you could reduce the number of available colonists (using the SetWorkers etc functions in _Player) and play the right sounds (starving sound, colonists dying messages). I believe there is a Player.Starve function that will accomplish this (it's not exposed in the API accessible from the SDK, it's in the internal player class) in one step, since it's the same code the game uses to starve off colonists. (You might want to use some kind of boolean flag then so it doesn't starve more people every tick, unless that's what you want).

You might want to check the tick and only do it every 16 ticks or something (AIProc is called every 4), to avoid slowing the game down too much. Remember you'll have to do it for all players so the code runs symmetrically on all machines.

Likewise kind of thing for the evac trans requirement, enumerate them and keep track of how many there are, if there aren't enough then do the same kind of thing (remove colonists and play a message).

If you are trying to do it with victory/failure conditions, use a building count trigger (for the agridome) and an escape trigger (set the rectangle to be the entire map, you have to abuse this trigger to be able to specify a cargo type I believe). Put them in a set trigger that requires only 1 of the triggers to fire to meet the condition. I believe you can do the same thing with operational triggers and evac triggers for the evac transports requirement.

Hopefully that helps.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 02:07:03 AM by BlackBox »

Offline Hidiot

Judgment Day
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 02:42:56 AM »
When forcing starving due to lack of agridomes (or CCs) or food in cargo trucks, you can just set the food stored to 0 and not mess around trying to do something the game can already do fine (starve your population to death).
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Judgment Day
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 02:07:27 AM »
I would think the point would be to not stave people if you have food in a truck. Normally, I think food stored in trucks is not really seen by the game and is not used to feed your population.

I would be neat to have the amount of food in cargo trucks slowly disappear until you got an agridome up.

Offline Hidiot

Judgment Day
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 03:46:56 AM »
They managed to implement such a system in some older survivor maps, such as Caught in the Crossfire and Forsaken World, if I remember correctly.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Sirbomber

Judgment Day
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 06:25:52 AM »
Yes, which is why I'm finding this so danged hard to implement.

Offline Leviathan

Re: Judgment Day
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2015, 08:44:27 PM »
Hi

Nice map, just checked this out.

Did you do any more work on this, fix the bug etc ?

Also would you be able the share the source of the map on the SVN ?

Screenshot:

Offline drib retsam

Re: Judgment Day
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2015, 12:43:20 PM »
Could someone please repost the files for the files for the mission? Was interested in trying it out but wasnt able to download using the link.

Offline leeor_net

• Administrator
  • OPHD Lead Developer
    • LairWorks Entertainment