Author Topic: Game Join Failed  (Read 3495 times)

Offline Zardox Xheonov

Game Join Failed
« on: February 16, 2010, 05:58:26 PM »
This is infact a big issue; several of us cannot seem to host a game on netfix.
This might not be due to our settings or computers. It might be a problem with the netfix.

list of people who I've witnessed cannot host on netfix:
TH300
Lordofpain (LOP)
Blackgage103 (zeak)
Larry the poet
Nightflash

And more on the way.

Please help us enable netfix to work for us. I think it would help the community if this was solved.

Do support :)

EDIT: Thanks mez ;)
~LOP~

EDIT(Mez): Removed Poll, topic/post is enough to describe the problem
Topic Moved (& linked) to feedback/problems forum
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 06:28:55 PM by Lord Of Pain »
Hit me up on discord, if I am online, you know I'll be gaming.

(Lord Of Pain is no more, I am currently now "Zardox" and have been for awhile on other platforms.)

Offline Spikerocks101

Game Join Failed
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 06:28:40 PM »
I have been able to host a game almost every time. Only one time when me and Simpsonboy77 were trying to play, was he unable to join my game, but I could join his. And TH300 problem had something to do with Wine.
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Simpsonboy77

Game Join Failed
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 07:14:55 PM »
I am unable to join ANYONE'S game in netfix, although everyone can join mine. This is OS independent, same results on Windows XP and Ubuntu (linux). This might be related to my firewall, so I might put my computer into the DMZ and see if that clears up the problems.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 07:15:18 PM by Simpsonboy77 »
My tutorials
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Game Join Failed
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 09:59:52 PM »
Your info is outdated. I found a way for hosting games and it seems to work fine. After solving the problem, I'd change my initial diagnosis: I think, its not wine related, but caused by my router. Don't know how, though. All I did to resolve it was forwarding port 47800 and adding the line "ForcedPort=47800" to the netfix section of outpost2.ini.

Its sad though, that others still have trouble. I don't see how all those troubles can be resolved by improving netfix. Some routers are just too weird and there's no way to work around their quirks.

Offline Hidiot

Game Join Failed
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 05:45:32 AM »
Hooman said that NetFix should only require the host to forward a port. Now, the major exception to that would be a symmetric NAT. Full details are not clear.

I'm not sure if symmetric NAT equals router shifting ports wildly, in such a way that OP2 won't work for 3+ players.

Also, Hooman is the only one who can help you research the problem in depth, so you will have to rely on him.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Zardox Xheonov

Game Join Failed
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 05:22:35 PM »
TH300, i think your problem is now my problem. Though i have no way of opening my router setings via browser/Internet explorer becuase somthing got messed up. Also i'd like to fix this with TH300's help at first, it might be my router too. What router do you use? I use netgear.
I hope i may solve this problem soon.
Hit me up on discord, if I am online, you know I'll be gaming.

(Lord Of Pain is no more, I am currently now "Zardox" and have been for awhile on other platforms.)

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Game Join Failed
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 12:12:48 AM »
Hmm, just in case this is relevant, the game server was down for possibly a couple of hours a few days ago. There was a brief power outage that reset the server, and the game server was not set to auto restart after a reboot.

There are some routers that you basically just can't program around in any reliable way. For those, if you have access, you can manually setup port forwarding (47800 UDP), and add the ForcedPort=47800 to the NetFix section in Outpost2.ini. (You can of course change the port number, as long as they match, but I recommend that default, as you won't need to specify it when doing a direct IP connect).

The problem is that the introducer (either the host or the game server) needs to introduce all the other players, and it can't introduce someone if their router maps a different port back for each IP address it sends data to. If a client sends data to the introducer from the same port as it sends to other clients, then the introducer can inform the other clients of the proper port number. For some routers, this isn't the case, and so no proper introduction is possible. The work around is to force a known port to be used, but that requires manually setting up port fowarding.

Note that port forwarding is not required by the host if all the routers are well behaved.

Offline Simpsonboy77

Game Join Failed
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 12:22:31 PM »
Odd, I tried posting in this thread a few days ago and it seems like my post got deleted or something. If a mod/admin did this please PM me, I don't know what was wrong with it.

Anyways, I was on IRC with Hooman and we were trying to figure out what was wrong with my computer not being able to join games on netfix. Basically there were a few things I had to do.

1) Create firewall rule to allow incoming UDP connections on port X. For me I use 47800.
2) Make my first network interface my LAN instead of hamachi. OP2 should see your internal IP,not the 5.x.x.x hamachi one.
3) Forward your ports if needed.
4) Add this line to outpost2.ini under [NetFix]
ForcedPort=47800
5) update NetFix. The new one is 88kb, the old one is 84kb. Get it here
http://forum.outpost2.net/index.php?showto...indpost&p=68986
My tutorials
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Game Join Failed
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 01:35:50 AM »
I should point out that you should only ever set the ForcedPort setting if you've also setup port forwarding. If you can't setup port forwarding, then ForcedPort won't help you, and it will quite likely make you less able to connect to other people.

The Hamachi issue is new to me. I wasn't really expecting that.

Offline Simpsonboy77

Game Join Failed
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 06:50:07 PM »
More testing is needed for the hamachi bug though. The results might have been skewed because my firewall was up.
My tutorials
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3