Author Topic: New Here  (Read 3321 times)

Offline Firo

New Here
« on: February 16, 2010, 05:55:45 PM »
Hi everyone.  I've been playing Outpost 2 since the game came out and have been loving it ever since (don't have too much multiplayer experience though).  I've lurked these forums for a while and finally decided to sign up.  For some reason I can't seem to get the game working in Windows 7, but I'm sure I'll figure it out soon enough.

Offline Zardox Xheonov

New Here
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 06:04:52 PM »
Hi there Frio! Welcome to our happy community of outpost2 fans, programers, gamers, novel wrighters, and more.

We hope you stay to have fun :)
Hit me up on discord, if I am online, you know I'll be gaming.

(Lord Of Pain is no more, I am currently now "Zardox" and have been for awhile on other platforms.)

Offline Larrythepoet

New Here
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 06:08:44 PM »
Hello. :|
No.

Offline Sirbomber

New Here
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 07:51:18 PM »
Hi.

I think there's a thread explaining how to get OP2 to work with Windows 7 somewhere.  I'll go look for it.

Edit: Here it is.
http://forum.outpostuniverse.net/index.php?showtopic=4717
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 07:52:52 PM by Sirbomber »
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Spikerocks101

New Here
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 08:05:14 PM »
Hi Firo, welcome to the forums. I have gotten Outpost 2 1.3.5 beta 2 to work on Windows 7 64 bit, so if you have any trouble, I may be able to help.
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Hidiot

New Here
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 12:29:16 AM »
And since the topic already contains a lot of Windows 7 and Oupost 2, posting a  solution here will help by not making this topic become search clutter.

And welcome Firo... and larry... (I'm just too lazy to post twice :P)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 12:29:35 AM by Hidiot »
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Firo

New Here
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 05:41:09 AM »
Unfortunately the solutions discussed in that thread do not cover my issue (Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this).

Whenever I start Outpost 2, it seems to be loading for a few seconds, then the process stops.  If I set Windows to change resolutions or colors while running the game, the changes are made for a few seconds then it reverts back to my normal desktop.  Changing compatibility has no effect, nor does trying the other game builds.  I have been able to get the game working in Windows XP Mode, however. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

Offline Spikerocks101

New Here
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 08:05:39 AM »
Firo, just a quick question, are you trying to run the old Outpost 2, or the download from the site?
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Firo

New Here
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 09:40:40 AM »
Firo, just a quick question, are you trying to run the old Outpost 2, or the download from the site?
I am using the downloads from the site.

Offline Angellus Mortis

New Here
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 12:15:46 PM »
I know exactly what you problem is. I had the same one. Goto the shortcut you use for OP2, right click it. The find the compatiblity mode setting and set it to always run in 98 mode. It run prefectly. And welcome to the forums.

Offline Firo

New Here
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 05:52:17 PM »
Thanks for the welcomes everyone.

Well I'm happy to say that the problem is fixed.  After checking the event viewer the problem was linked to Windows Data Execution Prevention (DEP).  Turning the process off for Outpost 2 worked.  

Offline Spikerocks101

New Here
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 06:23:52 PM »
Come on the IRC if you are up for a game :D
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
New Here
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 11:52:02 PM »
Well I'm happy to say that the problem is fixed. After checking the event viewer the problem was linked to Windows Data Execution Prevention (DEP). Turning the process off for Outpost 2 worked.

Now that I find fascinating. If you have anymore detail on that, I'd love to hear it. I'm sort of wondering if any of our patches are the cause of that. I don't have Windows 7 though, (or hardware that supports DEP?), so I can't test it myself.