Author Topic: Recording Games Of Outpost 2  (Read 2570 times)

Offline Aldair

Recording Games Of Outpost 2
« on: February 01, 2010, 01:22:00 AM »
I'm trying to get a friend to play but this game is not exactly newbie friendly. Right now, the easiest way for him to learn is for me to record a basic tutorial for him to follow. However, WeGame and Fraps refuse to record the game. I have tried several other programs but they all suffer from hard fail. I know there are video recordings on YouTube so I know it is possible. Anyone have any suggestions?

Edit: For anyone who recognizes me, I'm back... again... again.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 01:22:30 AM by Aldair »

Offline Hidiot

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 01:46:49 AM »
My own personal opinion is that the campaigns are, for lack of a detailed step-by-step tutorial, the best to use. The second mission is a perfect portrayal of the essential colony buildings that your colony will not work without, and the third mission is a good intro to the other basics: morale, researching, unit production.

Now, for recordings, I have heard of some Camtasia Studio. simpsonboy used it to make a 3 part tutorial/let's play for Eden population on easy.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 10:30:55 AM »
I had fraps before...it didn't like OP2, heh.  Camtasia works for it.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 11:56:33 AM »
camtasia will work or if your skilled and have a tripod set up a web cam at the screen hehe.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 12:25:41 AM »
Why, Freeza, why would you hurt me like that?

I've also heard Camtasia works. I've also heard it can make the game play somewhat slow and laggy. But I suppose that's not surprising.

Offline meatwad1666

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 06:04:55 PM »
i would love to start making tutorials because i tried to introduce my friend to outpost 2 and it failed miserably they just couldn't get it (i used then eden pop game)i hope to starting making some videos of basic game play   ;)  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tee0uZubcoA

its the only way to describe me and my friends

Offline Aldair

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 03:55:15 AM »
I tried Camtasia, crashed my computer several times and didn't work anyway.

I ended up writing an 11 page document with pictures to explain the bare bones of colony construction and advancement.

http://www.easy-share.com/1909167116/op2guide2.rar

The text file is in OpenOffice format since neither of us uses Microsoft Word. He said that when he extracted the file it showed up as gibberish but when double-clicked from the winrar window it worked fine.

I could upload it here as well I suppose if I ever get around to uploading the pictures.

Offline Simpsonboy77

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 10:50:21 PM »
Hmm, I'm not sure why Camtasia crashed on your computer, it was quite stable for me. I also didnt notice any framerate issues, but then again OP2 only uses 1 core (I assume since its so old).

Also check out hypercam, its free but it puts a nag tag in the lower part of the screen. If you want, I can go on IRC, but as of now my time is stretched thin, until the end of February. Sunday is probably the best day for me.

I encourage to show him my tutorials, Check my sig for them.
My tutorials
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3