Author Topic: Wiki Is Broken  (Read 5076 times)

Offline Simpsonboy77

Wiki Is Broken
« on: January 23, 2010, 11:47:27 PM »
http://wiki.outpostuniverse.net/
http://wiki.outpost2.net

Both yield the error

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_PAAMAYIM_NEKUDOTAYIM, expecting T_NS_SEPARATOR in /home/opuuser/public_html/wiki/index.php on line 97

EDIT: I stumbled on a link to a new wiki. So it seems like the "OPU Wiki" shortcut in the forums just needs to be updated with http://newwiki.outpost-universe.net/Main_Page assuming that is the correct one.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 11:53:54 PM by Simpsonboy77 »
My tutorials
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Offline AmIMeYet

Wiki Is Broken
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 03:24:31 AM »
newwiki was a recent (well, a few months back now) attempt to make the wiki work again. Because the old wiki was read-only, and we still wanted to be able to put information on there, the decision was made for a new wiki to be born. It needs a lot of work though, and it seriously lacks content, so I think the wiki link should stay the same until someone has time to work on it again (if only a bit).

I just think it's really amazing that the old wiki works but the new one broke.

Offline Spikerocks101

Wiki Is Broken
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 03:35:16 AM »
I lost hope in the new wiki when i didn't understand a darn thing about what AmIMeYet was talking about (he goes on and on about templates :P). I would still like to do it, but ATM, OP2.5 is my only "project"
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Wiki Is Broken
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 08:38:10 PM »
Keep in mind that the "new" wiki isn't actually controlled by this site. The "outpost-universe.net" domain name is owned by Leviathan, and we have no control over his servers. The official domain names are "outpost2.net", "outpostuniverse.net" (no hyphen), and "outpost2.com" (somewhat recently added).

If you wish to write something of particular value, you can do so as a plain HTML page, and we can include it as part of the main web site. I would be quite interested in any attempts at this. The most common articles on the wiki that people ask about are likely candidates for being put on the website. The current stuff can be found in the SVN repository. Feel free to commit changes there, and then let me know so I can push them to the site.

If you're interested, but not sure what to do, then please take a moment to try and formulate a question about what you're not sure of, and perhaps I can answer it.

Edit: As for why the current old wiki is broken, I don't really know at this point. I'm not exactly familiar with the software.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 08:40:16 PM by Hooman »

Offline AmIMeYet

Wiki Is Broken
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 08:34:17 AM »
Ah, I didn't even remember that newwiki is not OPU hosted.. In fact, I didn't even seem to be aware of that when it was created. I always saw Leviathan as a part of the server-admins. Didn't know outpost-universe.net was Lev's either..

Hm.. I will see if I can push the VisualStudio and CodeBlocks tutorials to SVN. Will be some time before I can work on that though..

Offline AmIMeYet

Wiki Is Broken
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 01:58:35 PM »
The last post is not that old, and this topic has been brought up in the shoutbox, so I figured I might as well post here.

The reason the old wiki is broken is because someone has updated PHP to a version that uses PHP namespaces. These collide with the Mediawiki namespaces. PHP has a Namespace class, and Mediawiki has a Namespace class. A new version of this wiki has changed it to MWNamespace, so an upgrade should fix it. Anyone here with the admin rights?

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Wiki Is Broken
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 03:12:32 PM »
I believe Hooman and Betaray have the ability to edit the site, but I don't think either really knows how to go about updating the wiki, heh

I know Hooman has had problems with updating website stuff previously because of some obscurities...
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Wiki Is Broken
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 02:37:27 AM »
Hmm, thanks for the info. That actually sounds fixable.

... by someone else....  :whistle:

Offline Zardox Xheonov

Wiki Is Broken
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 05:13:22 AM »
Ok since you people seriouslly rushed this, can we please have the old wiki back untill the new one is completed? The mapper link on the website is broken, and i don't have time to read through all the posts in the forum to find the mapper. SO JUST BRING BACK THE WORKING ONE!

This really upsets me, i see no reason why the wiki had to be put down. I used it, people who needed greenworld or the mapper used it.
Fix the mapper link on the main page then i might be happy, untill then, UBER FAIL!

And another thing, i'd suggest putting more downloadable files on the new wiki, sine that was the main purpose of the old one. The greenworld files cannot be found atm. The mapper link on the correct page is dead and burried under all the trashy posts you people throw in the forums. The new wiki is incomplete, so exactly why did we take away the old wiki befor the new one was ready? UBER FAIL!

List of needed content:
-mapper files.
-greenworld files with instructions to install.
-codeblocks files with instructions to install.
-every colony game that is posted in the forums with credits and links to download in the forums.
-every new multiplayer map that can be patched, with credits and links to download
in the forums.

Any other content suggestions will do fine.
(I am sorry for my flaming, i was simply venting my concern with the rushing of this. This basically backstabbed the comunity and idled download of the mapper/greenworld.)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 05:23:31 AM by Lord Of Pain »
Hit me up on discord, if I am online, you know I'll be gaming.

(Lord Of Pain is no more, I am currently now "Zardox" and have been for awhile on other platforms.)

Offline Mez

Wiki Is Broken
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 05:42:13 AM »
The reason the old wiki is broken is because someone has updated PHP to a version that uses PHP namespaces. These collide with the Mediawiki namespaces ... snip... so an upgrade should fix it.
We can't bring back the old version.  The software on the server, which we have no control over has been updated.

The only solution is for an admin to spend some time upgrading to the new version.  This could be an easy task or it might be a PITA to do.  Judging by the fact Hooman is abstaining from doing it his personal conclusion must be the same as mine (more likly going to be a PITA).

Offline AmIMeYet

Wiki Is Broken
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 08:22:46 AM »
The only solution is for an admin to spend some time upgrading to the new version.  This could be an easy task or it might be a PITA to do.
It should be relatively easy to do, as long as you have shell access and sufficient privileges. Presumably opuuser, or else root.

The steps are: Download-Backup-Extract-Update [size=8](source)[/size]