Author Topic: Thoughts For Ibstore  (Read 3741 times)

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Thoughts For Ibstore
« on: December 09, 2009, 09:03:25 AM »
Either we should update it or get rid of it.

Ways to update it:

1) reset everything.  Start everyone off at 0, restock the store, and find a way of making somehting fun with it.

2) change the ore per post.  I think most of us can agree that it was a bit too easy to accumulate more than enough ore to buy out the store everal times over.

3) the "making something fun with it" part.  I know from other places that the IBStore can be linked to other add ons.  Some use it for a war thing.  How about building up our own colonies?  It's not the best idea, but at least I'm throwing some out there :P
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Sirbomber

Thoughts For Ibstore
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 01:06:26 PM »
3) the "making something fun with it" part.  I know from other places that the IBStore can be linked to other add ons.  Some use it for a war thing.  How about building up our own colonies?  It's not the best idea, but at least I'm throwing some out there :P
YES!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 01:06:41 PM by Sirbomber »
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline WooJoo

Thoughts For Ibstore
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 04:00:48 PM »
3) the "making something fun with it" part.  I know from other places that the IBStore can be linked to other add ons.  Some use it for a war thing.  How about building up our own colonies?  It's not the best idea, but at least I'm throwing some out there tongue.gif
YES!

Zee idea is very good!

Offline Zardox Xheonov

Thoughts For Ibstore
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 04:15:28 PM »
Tis a very goodz ideaz forz da community  :)
Hit me up on discord, if I am online, you know I'll be gaming.

(Lord Of Pain is no more, I am currently now "Zardox" and have been for awhile on other platforms.)

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Thoughts For Ibstore
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 05:01:37 PM »
not the first time the idea was tossed around and ultimately nothing was done.

Offline Sirbomber

Thoughts For Ibstore
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 08:33:17 PM »
Maybe because nobody who could do anything did and wouldn't let somebody else do it for them?
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Thoughts For Ibstore
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 08:45:12 PM »
well, this is what I know about IBStore:

1) you can put in custom items with custom pictures

2) you can link it with a combat system

and since this forum is PHP based, I know a dynamic image can be used in correlation with custom items.  When you buy something, it has to store that data somewhere.  So, if a dynamic image where linked up with that database, it could be used to create a growing colony.  We would just need some specific limitations...

I could go on and on listing specifications for it, but I don't know enough about the forum code to even consider implimenting it.
CK9 in outpost
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Thoughts For Ibstore
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 10:30:57 PM »
I like the idea, but unless someone with enough knowledge and time volunteers to work on this, I don't see it getting done. Even what exactly it would be or how it would work is quite unclear. It anyone wants to contribute code for such a project, or even work on a design document, I would glady accept such a project into the SVN. Although, anything to be deployed on the web site, or that accesses the web site's database will need to pass a security audit before being deployed.

I was on a BBS once (like a dial-up forum before the Internet was popular), and when you posted there you got gold. They had a games section, where each game cost some amount of gold (usually equivalent to one post) to enter and play your turns for that day. That might make for an interesting system to implement, although, you'd need some fun games for people to play. From a technical perspective, such a setup would allow a game to be developed almost independently of forum software as the only interaction is the point/ore checking during "login".

But, I don't suppose too many people here have an idea how to make such games? I'm assuming web browser based games here. (Which is perhaps an unwarranted assumption?)

Offline WooJoo

Thoughts For Ibstore
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 01:50:43 AM »
i checked the invasion board site and they seem to have plenty of mods there maybe you should check if there is something which is close to a stratgic game or something

as all script kiddys know moddification is soooo easy

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Thoughts For Ibstore
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 10:04:33 AM »
I know how to get it to check the points/ore, just not where they are stored.  As to games, I know that a lot of people get tured off to games that cost money if they don't pass a certain quality line of entertainment and replayability.
CK9 in outpost