Author Topic: We Want More Members! Now!  (Read 9774 times)

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
We Want More Members! Now!
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2009, 11:31:01 PM »
all fear the might of the hooman
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Simpsonboy77

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2009, 04:07:30 AM »
My first week here was actually kind of different. I started off with a simple intro, got maybe a page of comments and I think I played 2 games that day... and got crushed. Life goes on, it was still fun playing a game that was 12 years old. Then maybe a week or so later I came up with a project to start on. It was making the EMP missile damage like a adv lab blowing up. I thought it would be easy, but people told me "people frown upon super weapons". I didn't feel like I was flamed or anything, they just thought people would want to hang me for it. :) My idea getting shot down didn't affect how often I came here. I asked for people's opinions and they gave them to me. Isn't that the reason you post something?? Seriously when you ask for input expect anything. Plus it is the internet, you can just ignore people, or ask if people agree with person A.

I really don't see where people are saying the OPU community is harsh to newcomers. Perhaps I'm not active enough or I'm too new, but I don't think there is anyone who would want me out because I don't come often. (if you do, please don't say anything XD)

It's a community, you take what people offer, and once you understand some stuff then you can start giving back. Like I want to start a project, but after my first thread I learned to do some homework on it before posting. So I downloaded the SVN and SDK, and I look through it a bit. And giving back can be as simple as just playing or posting.

Now I wrote this without sleeping for quite some time, and I did proofread it, so don't kill me for sentence structure and grammatical errors. Firefox does spell check so I'm good in that sense.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 04:09:01 AM by Simpsonboy77 »
My tutorials
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Offline Hidiot

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2009, 05:53:37 AM »
Maybe we need a true "grammar nazi" to clarify what being harsh about someone's writing really means.

Now, is there anyone who can bring an effective introduction video or text? When facing someone with an Outpost game for the first time, unless they have a deep curiosity burning within them, the rather steep learning curve is a problem.

Addendum: I recall some talks about this, but nothing since.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 05:54:16 AM by Hidiot »
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline CK9

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2009, 08:56:39 AM »
I remmeber at one time I was planning on making a video in an attempt to intice curiosity, but that was before the big music industry uproar that made it so I can't use music in vids....so I don't make vids anymore.
CK9 in outpost
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...

Offline Simpsonboy77

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2009, 01:04:21 AM »
I posted the idea (recently) to make the video. So far I just have a general outline on what I want to show, I haven't decided if I am going to narrate, or if I'll have text appear. I'm kind of leaning towards narrating.

http://forum.outpost2.net/index.php?showtopic=4723 Link to thread discussing it. I'd actually like a bit of feedback before I go and waste half a day only to find I missed something crucial.
My tutorials
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Offline CK9

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2009, 02:14:23 AM »
narration is much better in my personal opinion, but you need to be careful on the video format to make sure the video and audio don't separate too much

CK9 in outpost

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2009, 06:40:04 AM »
Anyways, since this topic seems to be dropping without anything definite steps being taken towards any goal I guess I'll attempt to kick start it again.

Back to my original points in this discussion:

1) The tools for the site is something we need. And reactivation of the signup process is of vital importance. As you mentioned Hooman, many things did not come with a manual but I hope that doesn't prevent you from trying  B)
(With other Admins gone, your basicly running the place now so you need to be on top of things  (thumbsup) )

2)
A: I see moderation is picking up. Great effort!

B: The IB store doesn't have to be anything fancy (Sure a game of sorts would be great but it's not necesarry), but just a restock or addition of some items would go a long way. Remember, even Impulse items gives a morale boost, though it's less than the Luxury goods.

3) Ban's: Nice effort Hooman, let's hope that this issue is solved then and that those who wish can get onto the IRC channels.

4) IRC
A: Can we get a bot up for IRC ? With some decent functions it could be a good help on the IRC channel

B: I would still like to see the addition of a small text explaining how a newcomer potentially can get the attention of the idlers. Since I brought this up in my first, I think I have seen 3-4 of these incidents since then. From the little time I spend online on IRC there are bound to be a lot more of them during a day.

5) Hamachi:

- Ok, too bad this seems to be out of our (or Hooman's) hands at the moment.
But then, should we not make new ones, update the manual to redirect people to the new channels and start moderating them again (to avoid them filling up) ?

Sure everyone should show up for IRC, but not everyone is and as a community we should really be providing the means for easy gaming. - As opposed to everyone creating their own rooms for games as someone proposed.
- Another thing that speaks against the practice of private game rooms is that the host can potentially kick players from the room or block them.
(Sure you can ruin hamachi games in other ways as well, but public game channels provides more fairness)

6) RTSU:

Seems like this is a very heated issue indeed.
However, for good or for worse I still have some questions around this:

I) All I'm asking for/visualizing is a joint IRC effort. Basicly having one #outpost2 channel instead of having one #outpost2 on OPU and another #outpost2 on RTSU.
As Sirbomber seems to be saying, does this mean we have to hand over all control of the whole OPU to someone else ?
(In my mind it seems to be as simple as changing our IRC DL package and/or applet to join another server/channel. Of course you can make it more complex if joining someone elses IRC server is out of the question - But then again, this is coming from a guy with little knowledge of computers)

II) With no active people, with no information or bots and no mods/admins how are we supposed to keep our IRC channel alive ? - My simple reasoning is, the more people and attention we can manage to accumulate in one place, the longer we can potentially keep this game alive.

III) If the whole thing doesn't work out, all we have to do is change back to our own IRC server isn't it ? We won't lose anything, but at least we made an effort to keeping the game alive.

As always, no offense meant to anyone, even though the topic might not agree with everyone.
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline Moley

« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2009, 06:59:39 AM »
me and my friend played often and where decent, we even had a turnement, but after a while and a ban by the principle we stoped playing and moved on to other games...
could this be what is happning, kids that would be intrested in the game, being stoped by rules, compatibility problems, and poor advertizing?
If so then what could we do... the only way i see is to advertize... any ideas on how to sperad the word, if not on OPU, then on OP2?
I HATE SPELLING!!!!!!
if i spell something or screw up grammer,
ignore it or tell me if you dont understand what i typed.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2009, 03:06:01 PM »
Galactic seems to have stopped by and fixed the forum registration.
Go Go Galactic Forum Registeration! :P

The IB Store should get periodically restocked.

I'm against changing the IRC downloads to point somewhere else. People are lazy and don't like redownloading stuff, so if we had any problems it could be quite difficult to change back.