Author Topic: Windows 7 And Outpost 2?  (Read 15453 times)

Offline Flashy

Windows 7 And Outpost 2?
« on: November 27, 2009, 12:41:42 PM »
Can you play Outpost 2 with Windows 7? (Without problems)
Praise the mighty light towers!!!

Offline Spikerocks101

Windows 7 And Outpost 2?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 05:09:39 AM »
I could, but the real question is, can you?
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Windows 7 And Outpost 2?
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 01:24:21 PM »
If you ran into an issue at first, you can always try compatibility mode.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Windows 7 And Outpost 2?
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 08:46:23 PM »
It works fine in Windows 7, although it is laggy (even on a high end system!) unless you turn on one or two settings under Outpost2.exe Properties->Compatibility. You need to check "disable desktop composition", and possibly "disable visual themes". (It's especially recommended that you check both of these for any 3D games you have as well.) This disables the fancy Aero desktop effects and such while the game is running. Then the game will run smooth as butter.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 08:59:07 PM by Arklon »

Offline Hidiot

Windows 7 And Outpost 2?
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 02:25:10 AM »
So, because of Microsoft's desire to add more flashy and less efficient/working, the user must make changes in order for the game to run within comfortable parameters?

I might just stick with XP for a long while.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Sirbomber

Windows 7 And Outpost 2?
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 10:21:32 AM »
So, because of Microsoft's desire to add more flashy and less efficient/working, the user must make changes in order for the game to run within comfortable parameters?

Don't blame MS (for once), blame all those whiney n00bs who complained that Windows didn't have it and switched to Macinsuck.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Windows 7 And Outpost 2?
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 06:42:46 PM »

MS did somehow optimize the way the OS handles file loading/saving, for me it works noticeably faster than even XP. You skipping Vista was a good call, though. The only point in getting that OS would be if you were getting a new computer when it was around. I do recommend Win7 though, it's a solid update.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 06:46:07 PM by Arklon »

Offline Galactic

• Administrator
    • http://www.konker.net
Windows 7 And Outpost 2?
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 01:36:43 PM »
I am running Windows 7 Enterprise now and love it. So much smoother and quicker than Vista. Just make sure you have the RAM and CPU power. I am running a quad core with 4GB RAM. I like the ability to pin stuff to the task bar, which reminds me a little bit on Mac OSX.

No trashing Apples! My other computer is an Apple. The newest Snow Leopard runs much smoother than any other operating system I have used. Perhaps it is because they no longer compile PowerPC processors into the kernel.
Take me to your leader! I bare the claws of a corndog.

Offline Hidiot

Windows 7 And Outpost 2?
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 01:40:26 PM »
Quad core and 4 GB?

So, what about us, poorer people, who may only afford a DualCore of around 2 to 2.4 Ghz and maybe 3 GB of RAM?
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Windows 7 And Outpost 2?
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 02:48:49 PM »
I've got two machines at work: 64-bit, 8 core, 3 GHz, 4 GB of RAM, two 750 GB harddrives in a mirrored raid array. You'd be surprised how badly we can tax those machines.

Still, the thing I wonder about this topic, is if the question was originally asked because they were having problems, or because they haven't tried it yet. I'm assuming it's more of an upgrade question, and they wanted to know if things would still work.

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Windows 7 And Outpost 2?
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2009, 04:12:10 PM »
Quad core and 4 GB?

So, what about us, poorer people, who may only afford a DualCore of around 2 to 2.4 Ghz and maybe 3 GB of RAM?
My system is closer to that. It's fine.

No trashing Apples! My other computer is an Apple. The newest Snow Leopard runs much smoother than any other operating system I have used. Perhaps it is because they no longer compile PowerPC processors into the kernel.
OS X actually is pretty good. I have it installed, although not running on Apple hardware :P (Dual booted with Win7) I run Leopard though, which is still compiled with PPC instructions, but it's still very smooth.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 04:14:27 PM by Arklon »

Offline Spikerocks101

Windows 7 And Outpost 2?
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 08:51:59 PM »
Hooman, I am assuming your either using Xeon or I7. My friend is crazy, he just got some triped out quad video card display just to run flight simulator on full with 180 22" monitors. I say thou, I got this running with Win 7 on the EEE PC 701 (1024mhz, with 2gb of ram), and it runs fine, even with IRC in the back round. Have no clue why it would be giving you a problem.

BTW, I got one of those HP Tx2 (touch screen laptop), and it's sick playing OP2 with it. Might make a video, to show off. For some reason, I like  "unique" laptops...
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Sirbomber

Windows 7 And Outpost 2?
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 06:37:49 AM »
OS X actually is pretty good.
I can't stand the darned things.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Windows 7 And Outpost 2?
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2009, 05:31:16 PM »
OS X actually is pretty good.
I can't stand the darned things.
Really the only problem with Macs (well, and pretty much anything Apple makes) is that Apple thinks adding huge premiums to their price tags is a good idea... but the product by itself is good. I really like how OS X is based on BSD unix, because unix is awesome, and it's nice to be able to open up terminal and use commands you're already familiar with if you've used any other *nix OS before.
Can't say much good about the classic Mac OS, though, other than it being the first to bring the gui to the market (although they weren't the first to actually come up with the idea), that thing sucked. Especially those Macs I had to use in elementary/middle school. Actually, at least it didn't BSOD every 15 minutes like Windoze 98 (and ME every 2 minutes when it was released) did? Can't remember. Still didn't redeem it, though.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 05:40:03 PM by Arklon »

Offline Spikerocks101

Windows 7 And Outpost 2?
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 09:51:51 PM »
What are you talking about? It's only 1100$ for the cheapest Mac Book, so you can surf the internet... thou you still won't be able to play OP2 with out a hassle.
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Kayedon

Windows 7 And Outpost 2?
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2009, 10:46:26 PM »
Arklon: Your school was lucky. All the schools I went to for public education had the Mac just randomly freeze up, and up until the middle of my 9th year all were about a decade old. It was impossible to do work without saving it to your floppy every 5 seconds (so old they ONLY had floppy drives. No CD's, and the USB was the Macintrash version).

*nix > Windoze > Anything else > Apple
Even though I'm too lazy to setup my computer to do a dual-boot, so I just do Vista.
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Windows 7 And Outpost 2?
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2009, 03:01:22 AM »
What are you talking about? It's only 1100$ for the cheapest Mac Book, so you can surf the internet... thou you still won't be able to play OP2 with out a hassle.
You could get a better spec'd non-Apple notebook for that price.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Windows 7 And Outpost 2?
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2009, 03:06:50 AM »
Yeah, you can easily find PC laptops for about half that price.

Offline Spikerocks101

Windows 7 And Outpost 2?
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2009, 04:04:41 AM »
I know, was kidding. I got a touch screen TX2 of 700$, and it still out performs the Mac Books.
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Kayedon

Windows 7 And Outpost 2?
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2009, 10:15:43 PM »
Back to the main subject:

With the OPU version of OP2, I can run it just fine.

Dual-core W7 x64, no problems (other than a white screen when the saved game loads, but that vanishes the moment it "refreshes")
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Offline Spikerocks101

Windows 7 And Outpost 2?
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2009, 07:55:33 AM »
Honestly, he hasn't even responded. I think it was just some crappy problem, and he was just posting because he was being lazy to do something.
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline p7x

Windows 7 And Outpost 2?
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2010, 11:58:29 PM »
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I had a look through the forum and couldn't find a real answer to this...

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on an Intel 2.5ghz Core2 Duo with 4GB RAM, which was freshly reformatted about a week ago.

I've tried the original install disk, and also 1.3.5 beta (both with and without compatibility settings enabled, and administrator priviledges) but the game doesn't even load at all... just the message "Outpost 2 Game Executable has stopped working. Windows can check online for a solution to the problem." but "checking for a solution" doesn't yield anything.

That's about as far as I've got... no one else here appears to have any problems, but I'm a big fan of O2 from when it first came out, so really don't want to have to give up on the game, and don't want to have to set up an XP VM just to run it!

PS: I can't promise to stay active on the forum, but I've enabled email notification for replies, so will at least stay active in this thread. Thanks.

Offline Flashy

Windows 7 And Outpost 2?
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2010, 07:54:54 AM »
Recently, I got a chance to test it. It worked fine.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 07:55:10 AM by Flashy »
Praise the mighty light towers!!!

Offline p7x

Windows 7 And Outpost 2?
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2010, 08:44:24 AM »
Recently, I got a chance to test it. It worked fine.
Could you provide more info... What graphics card and CPU do you have? are you running 64 bit? Which version of Windows 7 are you using? Have you installed any other games (particularly ones with DirectX)?

Thanks.

Also, I just tried installing the DirectX optional components with no luck.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 08:45:07 AM by p7x »

Offline Sirbomber

Windows 7 And Outpost 2?
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2010, 09:58:24 AM »
I, uh, doubt DirectX would cause problems with OP2.

It uses, what, DirectX 3.1 or something?