Author Topic: So... Where Do I Start?  (Read 2683 times)

Offline DartStriker

So... Where Do I Start?
« on: September 20, 2009, 11:54:47 AM »
Well, now that I sound completely ignorant, let me explain. I've sort of been ghosting the forums for a few years now, and recently got my own group of friends and my father back into outpost. But after playing all the maps over and over, and like I've read just about everywhere, I'm getting bored with them.

So a week ago I took up the task of starting to teach myself C++, which is going quite well, now... the problem is I want to contribute to the OP2 community. Of course I don't want to start of making a campaign game, but even starting with just a simple colony game is fine.

So, while browsing the forums, something hit me... there really isn't a definitive starting place for the beginner here, everything is sort of scattered and takes a lot of digging to find, so... let me just simply ask: Where is a good place to start?

Thanks. :)

Offline Hidiot

So... Where Do I Start?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 01:32:58 PM »
I made a topic back when I started myself. Problem with that one is that it's kind of disorganized.

So far, in my own opinion, it's better to simply ask yourself what's the next step, search for answers regarding it on the forum and, if that fails, post a new topic, asking. You will probably end up asking quite a few things.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Sirbomber

So... Where Do I Start?
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 01:45:18 PM »
That's good advice.  You've got the SDK, CodeBlocks or MSVC++, and a compiler?

Start off just kinda making a simple base with all the basics.  Looking at the various header files in the Include directory is a great reference.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline DartStriker

So... Where Do I Start?
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 04:09:26 PM »
Hidiot:

Thanks man, good genuine advice. I'll have to sit down and figure that out.

SirBomber:

I have MSVC++ '08 which I'm pretty sure has a compiler built in...
And thanks for the starting point, I'll work with that.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
So... Where Do I Start?
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 04:26:29 PM »
Yeah, I'd say one of the best sources of information is in the SDK itself. Read through the header files so you know what functions are available. Then you'll have a better starting point to search the forums on interesting ways to use them. (Or how to deal with cases when there doesn't seem to be functions you need).

Offline DartStriker

So... Where Do I Start?
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 07:08:13 PM »
Ok, then my last question. Guess I'm not sure what SDK is, is that the code for Outpost?

Edit: Sorry, I picked the SDK on the forums.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 07:12:06 PM by DartStriker »

Offline Angellus Mortis

So... Where Do I Start?
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 08:57:53 AM »
Yes it is. There should be sample missions in there. A blank multiplayer mission and Hoovile. Play around with them and make sure you can compile them.

Offline gwyned

So... Where Do I Start?
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 09:02:30 AM »
As a fellow new mission coder, the other piece of advice I'd share is search around for custom mission code from other programmers.  I found looking at completed missions a great way to teach myself what I needed to know to make my first mission.

Offline Angellus Mortis

So... Where Do I Start?
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 09:11:35 AM »
As a fellow new mission coder, the other piece of advice I'd share is search around for custom mission code from other programmers.  I found looking at completed missions a great way to teach myself what I needed to know to make my first mission.
A good point on that, you can find my code on the SVN. You might have to ask around how to get there. I can help you with decoding if you need it. I have not really organized it.

Offline DartStriker

So... Where Do I Start?
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 10:55:18 AM »
gwyned:
Awesome, yeah I've been scouring over these forums and taking notes for the last few days, it's really a rare ore mine of knowledge (Oh man, hows that for a bad joke? :P)

angellus:
Cool, I'll check that out. Right now I'm reading through the SDK and the code for the hooville.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
So... Where Do I Start?
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 12:36:39 AM »
Oh man, hows that for a bad joke?
Due to the shortage of residences, I'm afraid your housing accomodations have been reallocated.

The SDK stands for "Software Development Kit". This is a general terms used in programming circles. It generally implies a set of interface bindings, and possibly some library code to help with common tasks, and is used in developing software for a certain platform (such as an OS, or a game). As there is only one such package around these forums, or for Outpost 2 development (that anyone here knows of), it tends to be known as "the" SDK. I suppose some of the other projects like IUnit, or the badly named ForcedExports project are somewhat SDK like, but these are generally used in addition to the normal SDK or as addons rather than being alternates, so they've never quite achieved the same status.

The SVN would be a good source of sample code. There is an updated SDK in there, and some levels people have been working on (although, not as much level code in there as I'd like). I can't really speak for the polish of everything in there, particularly level code that other people contributed. Keep in mind that most things in there are development versions, not release snapshots. (The tag folders tend to be release snapshots, but most projects that have tags are a little more stable and probably more worth looking at the development trunk).

Edit: The SVN is readonly to the general internet. If you need a write account, either to add a new project, or help/update an existing one, you'll need to PM me about it.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 12:38:00 AM by Hooman »