Author Topic: A Sandbox-based Colony Game?  (Read 11262 times)

Offline Nightmare24148

A Sandbox-based Colony Game?
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2009, 12:30:50 PM »
One of the colony games in the OPU op2 ver is a sandbox, but its sad because the tech tree is so limited. Can't build University, or even a Nursery I think.
I look to see, in the mirror.

All I see, is that he is me.

Offline fallenangel

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2009, 10:00:06 PM »
yea it would be really cool if there was a decent sandbox colony game in Outpost 2

Pitiful mortals...your hope ends here. ...And your meaningless existence with it!

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2009, 10:33:11 PM »
Go make it.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline fallenangel

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2009, 01:45:14 PM »
You know what Sirbomber? I wasn't targeting you in ANY Manner! I was referring to the incompetent people that created the game in the first place! NOT you or any of the wonderful people that are in this forum. I hope you CLEARLY understood that.
Pitiful mortals...your hope ends here. ...And your meaningless existence with it!

Offline Hidiot

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2009, 02:18:32 PM »
You left your words open to interpretation.

Sirbomber may have some experience behind him to justify his statement.
Also, while it may be put in a manner some perceive as offensive and rude, he does have a point.
Namely, if you want it, make it yourself. Don't sit idly and expect someone else to do it for you (by "someone" read: a random person not you). Of course, this does not mean you won't get help at all.
The second person used is the generic second person.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline fallenangel

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2009, 02:48:37 PM »
The problem is that he is always in an offensive stance. I sadly am not proficient in programming and I was merely saying that it would be really cool if there WAS a good sandbox game. I did not say, "Why doesn't anyone make a decent sandbox game". I don't understand the concept of this forum. do you HAVE to be a computer programmer to be here or what?

Anyhow, I am just angry at the fact that I can't post my opinion without being reciprocated with sarcastic commentary. I really wish I could help out with something but I do not have the skill to do it.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 02:49:10 PM by fallenangel »

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2009, 03:25:17 PM »
You know what Sirbomber? I wasn't targeting you in ANY Manner! I was referring to the incompetent people that created the game in the first place! NOT you or any of the wonderful people that are in this forum. I hope you CLEARLY understood that.
What the heck?  I was trying to encourage you!  Eat mud and die.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline fallenangel

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2009, 03:31:06 PM »
>.< aaah! this is a huge misunderstanding.... ugh. sorry sirbomber...

Offline fallenangel

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2009, 04:06:01 PM »
is there any way i could help? IDK making maps or maybe coding? I'm a fast learner.

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2009, 08:50:54 PM »
Pick a stock map and start coding.  I've linked to all the stuff you need to get to work.

Look at the Hooville example.  Start by modifying that.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 08:59:41 PM by Sirbomber »

Offline fallenangel

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2009, 05:59:22 PM »
Alright Thanks I downloaded everything. I will give it a shot  

Offline Angellus Mortis

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2009, 09:27:36 AM »
Ff you need any help Sirbomber, I will help. Just tell me what you need done. you know I can code, you thought me. I do not speak much around here anymore, but I still get on like once a day.

Offline fallenangel

« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2009, 12:49:51 PM »
I'm having a little difficult time understanding this but i think that I can maybe get a map done in a month or so. college is kind of overwhelming right now. :)

Offline fire team zu

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2009, 07:56:44 AM »
SDK i dont think source dev kit works in Op2
Start The Protest

No
More
GFWL
Who Ever Invented It Should Die
The Differance between a good game and a bad game is windows vista

IM GONNA BAN YOU SO HARD YOULL BE STUCK IN OUTPOST 2    (fave saying to noob people in source games)

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2009, 01:39:23 PM »
A Software Development Kit (SDK) is a fairly generic term. It generally implies some sort of software package, usually with library code, and perhaps examples to get started on developing something. As there is only one such "SDK" around here, we simply refer to it as "the SDK". Not to be confused with other acronymns.

Offline fire team zu

« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2009, 07:41:48 AM »
i know i just spend way 2 mucth time making source mods
Start The Protest

No
More
GFWL
Who Ever Invented It Should Die
The Differance between a good game and a bad game is windows vista

IM GONNA BAN YOU SO HARD YOULL BE STUCK IN OUTPOST 2    (fave saying to noob people in source games)

Offline Conestoga

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2010, 04:25:50 PM »
SDK download: http://www.outpost-universe.net/files/coding/op2_dllsdk.zip
CodeBlocks homepage: http://www.codeblocks.org/
CodeBlocks setup info: http://wiki.outpostuniverse.net/Compiler_Setup
(Note: Somebody recently posted a tutorial on setting up MSVC for use with the SDK, so if you'd rather use that, you can.)

MSVC Compiler (not the MSVC IDE): http://www.outpost-universe.net/files/codi...oolkit-base.msi
(This is on the CodeBlocks setup page, but I figured I may as well post it here anyways.)
Thanks for the links, I'm going to take a look into them and see what I can do.

Oh and I'M BACK. Rawr. :3

~Conestoga :op2:  
Robert E. Lee - "Get correct views of life, and learn to see the world in its true light. It will enable you to live pleasantly, to do good, and, when summoned away, to leave without regret."

Offline Kayedon

« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2010, 04:58:30 PM »
SDK download: http://www.outpost-universe.net/files/coding/op2_dllsdk.zip
CodeBlocks homepage: http://www.codeblocks.org/
CodeBlocks setup info: http://wiki.outpostuniverse.net/Compiler_Setup
(Note: Somebody recently posted a tutorial on setting up MSVC for use with the SDK, so if you'd rather use that, you can.)

MSVC Compiler (not the MSVC IDE): http://www.outpost-universe.net/files/codi...oolkit-base.msi
(This is on the CodeBlocks setup page, but I figured I may as well post it here anyways.)
Thanks for the links, I'm going to take a look into them and see what I can do.

Oh and I'M BACK. Rawr. :3

~Conestoga :op2:
Right before I stole CK9's Thor's Hammer Assault Rifle I realize you made this thread and thus have every right to bump it, especially with such a relevant post.

Welcome back, Conestoga.
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2010, 04:59:59 PM »
You'll now probably want to check out the Outpost 2 Coding 101 tutorials I wrote.  Look for the link in my signature.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2010, 05:38:49 PM »
Aye, bomber did an awesome job thus far explaining things.  Even I am understanding them
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline evecolonycamander

« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2010, 08:44:24 PM »
Well I'm going to start by making a Eve Sandbox game with a cople enemey colonys for those fun little raids no one can resist
''The blight cant get us up here!''
-famous last words
--------------o0o--------------
Outpost 2: EoM project status: Re-planning

Offline Conestoga

« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2010, 07:53:20 AM »
You'll now probably want to check out the Outpost 2 Coding 101 tutorials I wrote.  Look for the link in my signature.
Thank you, I'll copy what is written on that guide and save it onto my external harddrive to read when I have the time.

~Conestoga  :op2:  
Robert E. Lee - "Get correct views of life, and learn to see the world in its true light. It will enable you to live pleasantly, to do good, and, when summoned away, to leave without regret."