Author Topic: If You Thought Real Time Strategy Was Hard...  (Read 5508 times)

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
If You Thought Real Time Strategy Was Hard...
« on: April 18, 2009, 11:10:03 AM »
... Try meta-time strategy.

This will either be awesome or way too confusing. (It will also probably be forgotten, because of it revolving around a niche/gimmick gameplay mechanic.)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 12:01:24 PM by Arklon »

Offline DeathSquire36

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 03:43:06 PM »
Definitely looks like a wild concept.  In reality, it's probably a bit too confusing for most people, but who knows.  I'd rather have developers pushing the boundaries of gaming than resting on used, tired ideas, so hopefully this works out.

Offline Hidiot

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 03:13:48 AM »
The concept is really interesting and I look forward to seeing how it evolves.

Looks like something great, but only time will tell. (could become another Outpost. Great ideas, never got done right)
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Spikerocks101

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 03:53:56 PM »
I would jump to the past right when i start, and then start from there, for if i go to teh farthest back, he can't go before me and then it will be a regular rts...
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline WooJoo

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 06:07:49 PM »
but since you where in the past you couldnt play that well since you got a "chrono energy" bar which decreses at every action you take.

did you even saw the vids?

Offline fighter

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 06:41:52 PM »
Seems to be a good game so far. (thumbsup) The fact that you can't send all your units back in time to kill the enemy base at the start is cool too.
There are people who want to be treated as idiots. I've dedicated all my life to fulfill their wish.

Offline Spikerocks101

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 06:56:06 PM »
You give one command at a time, then jump in the future to recharge
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Hidiot

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 01:57:04 AM »
You can't jump in the future. You can only travel into the past and back up to the present.

I'm curious as to how one can win a match. Even if you manage to destroy your opponent's base at one point in time, he could just bolster the defenses before your attack and succeed the defense this time.

Of course, the opponent would need to act quickly, since a destroyed base means no means of time-travel. And if that reaches the present, game over.

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 07:49:45 AM »
I think he meant go to the present (which, in the past, is still the future).  And I think you can go a little into the future, but I'm not sure...

If your opponent goes into the past to stop your attack in the past, you go farther into the past, or attack him in two different time periods to really screw with him.  :P  
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Spikerocks101

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 08:26:00 AM »
I think I have a way so if he destroys you in the present, then you can still be alive, as long as his troops leave. You build portable main base (in outpost terms, a convec with a CC in it) and have a time machine in your base. He destroys your base in the present. You go back in time and find where you had the Convec and send him into the present, with the enemy troops gone, you rebuild your base again, he will think theres no one in that area since you just got killed. Idk if you can timewarp units if in the present there is no time machine.
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 07:39:48 PM »
The game is bound to a "present", things that happen then and only then are definitive to actual reality. If you go into the past, you need to wait for what you do then to reach the present via time wave.
The time wave mechanic even inherently deals with the Grandfather Paradox by design. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTVsXbWQXp0
Also, you can jump into the future, but pretty much the only point of doing that (albeit a big one) is for foresight. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f21y2Qkj41g
The game doesn't look very pretty yet because it's an alpha. But judging from the motion blur during the half-speed part in the above video, that'll likely change.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 07:45:44 PM by Arklon »

Offline Kayedon

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 12:45:54 PM »
Sounds like a good old paradox to me.

If you kill his base in the past, then you couldn't have sent back troops in the future because he wouldn't have a base in the future which means he couldn't have a base in the past.... you get it.
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Offline Hidiot

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2009, 01:19:20 PM »
Don't forget the time wave propagation. If he can go further into the past and prevent the destruction, he survives.

It has been said around here that the only way to defeat someone is to kill them off in the present. Which could be achieved if their base destruction propagates to the present and stays, by what I gather (could be wrong).