Author Topic: About Single-multiplayer  (Read 2221 times)

Offline Civie

About Single-multiplayer
« on: December 01, 2008, 06:21:16 AM »
Question 1: Is it possible to play a 'multiplayer' game with only one human (me) player? (If yes, continue)

Question 2: Are there any restricted maps for this/What is the method to do this?

Because, I like playing the colony games, but getting 450 colonists is (to) easy, and on normal/hard I get owned before you can say 'I can defend myself'... (Yes, I am that bad...)

In a singleplayer multiplayer-match (1 human + bot players) I might be able to defend myself, build up a colony before they overrun me...

Offline Hidiot

About Single-multiplayer
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 06:29:57 AM »
Technically, you can play multi player with yourself. You can't be alone on the map though. You can play just about any multi player map this way, just make sure not to accidentally win (or lose).

And there are no bots, there are only level-specific AI's as of yet. The construction of a Generic AI has taken many forms, few of which have had any results.

I myself planned on working on such a generic AI, but it will take at least another 10 years before I get through with it. Complex game, lots of rules and situation, not easy.

Playing multi is a good way to gain some skill. But then you just need a lot of practice to learn the tech trees well enough.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Sirbomber

About Single-multiplayer
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 07:51:19 AM »
The short answer is no.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
About Single-multiplayer
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 11:10:55 AM »
You can play the game by yourself, but there are no AIs (aside from some very simple ones in maps such as La Corrida and Peacekeeper).

To do this you would need to open two copies of OP2, create a game using one copy and join the game using the other. (obviously, each player is only going to move as fast as you can control two computers / copies of OP2 / etc).

Offline Spikerocks101

About Single-multiplayer
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 02:09:14 PM »
Just wondering, did he go on the IRC, for he only has 1 post... >_>

You should play with people who want to play on the IRC (like me who always wants to play....) and get better, or atleast try the campeign...
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Civie

About Single-multiplayer
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 04:39:14 AM »
Well, that's just it. I want to try things out against a human player base, but without the problems of long-distance netting. When I play against myself I can atleast adapt when I find a hole in my methods of playing. And if I would play with my brother, then the little bastard would suicide his earthworker into my base disconnect my command center before I can counter-act.

I guess I am just plain stupid ...

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
About Single-multiplayer
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 01:43:33 PM »
Just build some more tubes in advance ?

Use surveyor, earthy and a convec to blow up his earthworker before it enters your base ?

Send your earthy to his base aswell ?

The opportunities are many my friend ;)

Why not send your brother to us so we can punish him for his sins, wipe out his colony before he remembers to even use his earthworker and ehh.. well, teach him some manners so to speak ? :P
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline Hidiot

About Single-multiplayer
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 01:56:05 PM »
Practice speed and get yourself a weapon early enough. Earthworker vs. Lynx has an obvious outcome.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Sirbomber

About Single-multiplayer
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 03:37:31 PM »
Why not send your brother to us so we can punish him for his sins, wipe out his colony before he remembers to even use his earthworker and ehh.. well, teach him some manners so to speak ? :P
Yes, please, allow us that honor.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials