Author Topic: Tokamak Bombs  (Read 6311 times)

Offline fighterguy

Tokamak Bombs
« on: November 23, 2008, 12:54:52 AM »
I had been thinking the other day and I realized that for Eden tokamaks could be used as emp bombs.  If you were to get one close enough and have a combat unit destroy it then that would disable units on a large scale.  Then you could have your units come in and destroy your opponent's vehicles easily.  Anybody think that this could work?

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Tokamak Bombs
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 02:45:40 AM »
I've seen people who has tried this before.

Though it might work against someone not paying attention or someone new to the game, it usually won't be worth the effort against a seasoned player.
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline Hidiot

Tokamak Bombs
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 03:01:16 AM »
While certainly a distraction, a good player may even use that toka you just built against you.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline fighterguy

Tokamak Bombs
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 09:42:22 AM »
By blowing it up in your face?

Offline Sirbomber

Tokamak Bombs
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 10:25:59 AM »
Precisely.  That's more embarrassing than getting owned by Scorpions.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Spikerocks101

Tokamak Bombs
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 11:14:26 AM »
I also thought about that, and why not build your first power plant in the enemies base?
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Hidiot

Tokamak Bombs
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 11:25:26 AM »
Because it'll get blown up eventually and will leave you with a power shortage.

Offline vennom

Tokamak Bombs
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 11:33:09 AM »
if you are playing in multiplayer, and build your first tokamak in enemy base, and you are REALLY fast (and rich) to build another tokamak in your base, you can use the tokamak bomb, but, tokamak is a bomb when its destroyed, if the enemy dont touch your tokamak, youre wasting ore =P

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Tokamak Bombs
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 01:10:06 PM »
if you are playing in multiplayer, and build your first tokamak in enemy base, and you are REALLY fast (and rich) to build another tokamak in your base, you can use the tokamak bomb, but, tokamak is a bomb when its destroyed, if the enemy dont touch your tokamak, youre wasting ore =P
Why not build an Adv. Lab there instead and actually do some real damage ?
(And of course, people will call you a low-life cheater when you do this, but it's still fun if all other options are blocked)

Nah, seriously though. You need all your convecs and ore early on. If you waste time and ore on this stuff, your likely to get your ass owned long before your tokamak (Or Adv. Lab) blows up.

Be smart and build something else instead.

EDIT: Oh, and not to mention, in many scenarios bases are defended by GP's, or the distance between 2 bases is huge. In both cases making the whole operation a waste of time.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 01:12:01 PM by Highlander »

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Tokamak Bombs
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008, 01:22:18 PM »
Yeah, this idea in general is not worth it. It's too costly, and for too little gain. Disabling their buildings is only really useful if you have stuff nearby to take advantage of that. The pretty much means early game this is useless. Plus the time for that one convec to get over there would slow down your growth too much.

Also, if you want to detonate it right away, you'll need some kind of combat unit nearby, and probably something like a starflare too, which means you'd lose the convec building it, the starflare, and the tokamak too. If you let it finish building, then it'll take more firepower to kill it (although you don't have to lose a convec). You still lose out on the time though, where that convec could be building other things.

I'd also like to state that losing a power plant (permanently) early in the game is much more harmful to you, then temporarily disabling a few enemy buildings.

Offline Spikerocks101

Tokamak Bombs
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2008, 07:09:39 PM »
Tokamak cost $1500?
Emp Lynx costs 1200$?

Tokamaks should stay for making power, but i do think that a EMP Lynx should cause like a 2 square emp burst when destroyed, or starflares should do that.

BTW, does Goethom power plants for Eden cuase an EMP burst when blown up? And if EMPed first, do Tokamaks not cause an EMP burst?
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Tokamak Bombs
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2008, 10:47:44 PM »
If a convec is building the tokamak when it's destroyed, then you lose the convec as well as the tokamak. Plus, if you need to destroy it quickly using only a single unit or so, it's probably going to be a starflare or supernova. So double or triple the cost of that EMP bomb. Alternatively, you can wait a long time for it to finish building, and detonate it by using a group of units, but then you'll probably just have a group of units EMPed, which doesn't do you much good.

You can't EMP buildings that don't take power. Hence you can't EMP any type of power plant, or a CC (which also produces 50 power). You also can't EMP Light Towers, Magma wells, or Mines, as none of them take power.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 10:48:23 PM by Hooman »

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Tokamak Bombs
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2008, 11:51:06 PM »
BTW, does Goethom power plants for Eden cuase an EMP burst when blown up? And if EMPed first, do Tokamaks not cause an EMP burst?
Yes, a deployed Gerthermal powerplant will explore with a EMP burst.
The Geocon vehicle will just die like any other unit.

Offline Sirbomber

Tokamak Bombs
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 09:34:00 AM »
If you want to be annoying, building Light Towers in the enemy base so it's harder for them to build.  You can also interfere with mining operations this way.

But if you're going to go through all that trouble, just GP Rush or ALB 'em.  Note that everyone will hate you for this and you will never play another game here as long as we remember what you did.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline vennom

Tokamak Bombs
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2008, 04:53:20 PM »
to build a geocon you need specific terrain... and a tokamak cost a lil bit more than an emp lynx BUT, the emp weapon shot infinite times, the tokamak will "shot" only one o.o (and its horrible make a tokamak to idle a few units =P...)

Offline Leviathan

Tokamak Bombs
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2008, 12:02:38 PM »
Tokamak's take ages to build..

Offline vennom

Tokamak Bombs
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2008, 09:58:17 AM »
i think they want destroy it b4 its complete building o.o

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Tokamak Bombs
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2008, 10:44:26 AM »
save the tok's for power and just build novas.  They're easier to sneak around, and they move faster than a convec.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Ezekel

• http://ezekel.deviantart.com
Tokamak Bombs
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 06:16:20 PM »
If you want to be annoying, building Light Towers in the enemy base so it's harder for them to build.  You can also interfere with mining operations this way.

But if you're going to go through all that trouble, just GP Rush or ALB 'em.  Note that everyone will hate you for this and you will never play another game here as long as we remember what you did.
better tactic would be to build the light towers ON the tubes leading from their CC.
if they don't have an earthworker available, they've already lost at this point
My mind is quicker then your eyes!

Never fight what you cannot see!!!

----------------------------------------------

The sleeper has awakened... and boy what a hangover!

Offline fire team zu

Tokamak Bombs
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2009, 02:21:22 PM »
its more embarisind than getting owned by your own units

Start The Protest

No
More
GFWL
Who Ever Invented It Should Die
The Differance between a good game and a bad game is windows vista

IM GONNA BAN YOU SO HARD YOULL BE STUCK IN OUTPOST 2    (fave saying to noob people in source games)

Offline Hidiot

Tokamak Bombs
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2009, 02:47:47 PM »
1. Necro posting with no useful additions (maybe minimal if you wish to be lenient)

2. If you get owned by your own units, you're just so close to being hopeless. Unless it was intentional.

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Tokamak Bombs
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2009, 04:34:40 PM »
What if someone sets to starflares/Novas to attack you, then before those units encounter your defenses, the play player transfers those units to you, so that they become your units. They then destroys their targets, say a cc or adv lab..

Are you then owned by your own units.. ? :P

Offline AmIMeYet

Tokamak Bombs
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2009, 04:50:06 PM »
Wow.. I think that's .. true..
That is if... .. commands so get carried through the transfer..
yeah.. I think they do.

But it can't be in mass-numbers.. just a unit or two.

Hm.. I should try it on my unsuspecting brother =D

Offline Kayedon

Tokamak Bombs
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2009, 06:32:21 PM »
Yes, commands get passed along with transfers.  
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Offline Sirbomber

Tokamak Bombs
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2009, 07:03:16 PM »
Attack orders aren't, I believe.  If a unit is set to attack it just stops.

I think...

Anyways, someone lock this thread.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 07:03:32 PM by Sirbomber »