Author Topic: Temporary Irc Dns Problems  (Read 1630 times)

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Temporary Irc Dns Problems
« on: September 28, 2008, 03:20:25 PM »
I had some problems resolving the IRC server address earlier today. It's fine now, but I was wondering why? I could view the forums fine, but any attempted to resolve irc.outpostuniverse.net failed. Was someone messing with something? Or is that domain controlled by a seperate server that may have failed?

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 01:29:11 AM »
I blame your ISP. :heh:

No, really, the DNS is on the same machine as the website is, and you're getting the same nameserver regardless of what domain you use (outpost2.net, outpostuniverse.net, outpostuniverse.net)

Perhaps there is something misfunctional with the ISP's cache (since it just delegates the DNS lookups to the actual nameserver(s) if it's not in the cache, perhaps it had some issues doing the DNS lookup (against our server) at the time, where the DNS result for the forums might have been in the cache and thus that problem wouldn't exist).
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 01:29:47 AM by BlackBox »

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 03:16:38 PM »
That's about what I was thinking actually. I was getting disconnected a lot later in the day. Was wondering about the caching though, since I tend to be on both IRC and the forums each day. But then, I guess it only needs to do the DNS lookup when I first logon to IRC, and probably more frequently as I'm viewing the forums.