Poll

What is the primary reason you don't build secondary colonies often?

Too expensive
3 (11.1%)
Too many workers needed to operate
9 (33.3%)
Too difficult to defend more than one colony
8 (29.6%)
Easier to just tube/expand the main colony
7 (25.9%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Why No Outposts?  (Read 7274 times)

Offline Sirbomber

Why No Outposts?
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2008, 11:22:22 AM »
Let's not get started on that issue again.
Besides, that's off-topic.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Why No Outposts?
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2008, 11:26:04 AM »
Personally, I don't like the risks defending two bases entails. It can effectively split your forces. Under certain circumstances it can be useful though; for example, if you and your ally build next to each other your ally could take over part of the main base defenses. I also like the idea of remote unit factories on large maps; no defenses needed since it's the source of your offense.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Why No Outposts?
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2008, 03:58:56 PM »
Usually, when people build remote mining bases, they build them in locations that are out of the way and therefore an unsound target for initial attacks.

Personally, I think the remote base is a major strategical advantage, as it allows you to allocate specific tasks to different areas (for example, you can save space in your main base by mining in a remote base and using metal storage in the main).  Also, if you get a foothold outside your opponents bas, but don't quite have the firepower to burst through the defence, a vehicle base at the frontline can boost your army size.

However, the biggest advantage is the ability to hold on past the destruction of your main base.  I had a 1v1 on one of the world maps in which I had a small mining base with a vehicle factory on it.  My opponet decimated my main base, and just couldn't seem to spot the mining base.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Sirbomber

Why No Outposts?
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2008, 10:18:00 PM »
Well, these results have been very useful.  I'll keep this in mind when I start balancing MT2 to make second/third/fourth bases a more viable option.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Why No Outposts?
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2008, 03:08:22 AM »
My reason for rarely building a second or more small bases is as Tellaris pointed out. Unit limit makes it hard to defend both bases at once.

Usually it's quite easy to divide an opponents attention aswell, so that by moving some vehicles a bit back and forth, you manage to hit either the mining outpost or the main base. (Or just mass vehicles to attack 1 of the bases he is less defended)

I haven't played much with the new bigger unit limit, so with that in place my arguments might be mute.

However, the only time I build any bases far away from my main base it's usually a military Outpost, to press an advantage somewhere on the map. And then it's usually better to call it a second mainbase rather than an outpost.
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2