Poll

There are several high-yield mines in an area plagued by frequent disasters. Is the ore worth the risk?

Yes
3 (17.6%)
No
3 (17.6%)
Depends on the disaster(s)
11 (64.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Worth The Risk?  (Read 2126 times)

Offline Sirbomber

Worth The Risk?
« on: April 06, 2008, 09:24:46 PM »
We all like ore.G, but how much do we like it? Would you endanger your entire colony for really great ore? We are assuming you are building a full colony, not a mining outpost.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Tellaris

Worth The Risk?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 04:18:53 AM »
Depends on the disasters and the severity. A few minor quakes? Easy, pop up a few garages, when you get the warning, pump your cargos in them, and save them. Invest in dirts and repair vecs. Easy enough.
Moderate quakes, you're looking at replacing more then a few trucks. There is the potential to lose a few morale structures, but nothing too terribly serious, they're pretty cheap if you idle them, and sometimes they'll survive idled esp. when a dirt is present. If quakes aren't too frequent to impede repair and rebuilding efforts, its fine.
Severe quake: Not worth it. You're risking the larger buildings now. CC probably will survive, SF and smelters may not. At this stage, a DIRT will even get wasted, and won't do much for you. Moderate is risky, here is just stupid.
Vortexes
Again, depends on the frequency. Idle stuff in the path, and build an extra CC/SF about a screen's distance away. They usually don't wander that far. So long as they aren't too frequent to impede reconstruction, not too bad.
Volcano:
Only if you have enough time to evac. Else, its suicide.
Lightning storms:
Hell ya! Those things are only really a threat to non-dirted morale buildings. Few Spiders/Repair vehicles solve any issue there easily enough.
Meteors:
Two words. Meteor Defense.
Blight: omgz we're all gonna die!!!
Spell Checker!   The PoWeR tOoL
Click Here For Coolness
Self Proclaimed OPU Help desk.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Worth The Risk?
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 06:23:18 PM »
Ore is the food with out it the colony will surely die or not grow fast enough to meet your needs.

Offline DarekStar

Worth The Risk?
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 08:22:53 AM »
i agree with thim it depends on the desasters.

i can handle heavy quakes cence i rarely have 1 small base i eather have a masive base that takes up 1/4th or 1/3rd or a bunch of scattered bases just have 5 dirt groups of 4-6 spaced a screen or so apart with a tube to everybuilding (and i dont mean tubeing through buildings i mean actual tubes thim selfs the protection goes only about 5-6 buildings away if through buildings. my mega colloneys have survived heavy quakes tornados and valcanos (multiple cc's and structures build makes the base stronger against desasters) but storms are my coloney biggest threats but like i said (*gasp* runon sitance) groups of 4-6 dirts linked directly to buildings dose wonders. also mitiors reak havoc to my closely gropuped buildings (i play as plymouth so i dont have metior defence)

This was brought to you by your local A.D.D person enjoy any rambling cus im not gona corect it anytime soon.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 08:23:45 AM by DarekStar »
-Darek

Caution this user refuses to spell check or even try and spell corectly unless posting a story.

so bare with him

Offline Sirbomber

Worth The Risk?
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 03:19:38 PM »
i can handle heavy quakes cence i rarely have 1 small base
In this situation you do, though.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Worth The Risk?
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 09:00:01 PM »
It depends on how managable the risk is. For a level like the Eden Starship colony game, I always go for the ore that's covered by lava, but that's only putting the mine and trucks at risk, and you don't usually lose the trucks if you're paying attention. The only real risk is if you somehow don't expand to another mine before the first is destroyed and you run out of money. That's not too hard to avoid. For the plymouth starship II level, I usually go for the ore covered by lava, but I don't build more than the mine and refineries on ground that gets covered by lava.

The cost in both ore and time of replacing an entire base is pretty big. If it's an area that would put my whole base at risk, then I'd probably avoid it, and if I needed the ore, I'd just tube to it. If you have no money for tubing early game, then I'd probably put the smelter far away with the rest of the base, and use the first few truck fulls for the tubing and a new smelter.

Earthquake zones seem like a bad idea. They do too much damage to vehicles, unless they're far enough away from the epicenter, and the quakes aren't very large. Hiding them in a garage takes a lot of time, and if the building goes, so do all the vehicles. I have to question if mining a higher yield only part of the time, versus mining a lower yield full time is really worth it. In terms of raw ore rate, it probably is, but if you consider the max storage, and how trucks will stop when it's full, then maybe you're getting less utilization from the higher yield mine then you think. The down time can also be pretty bad if there is fighting going on, and you need to be constantly producing vehicles. That ore can dry up pretty quick if you're not harvesting, and having a zero production rate is not good. Plus the time it takes for the extra management of the trucks will slow you down. Or from the other end, if you're busy with something else, such as a battle, you might forget to take the trucks back out and resume harvesting. I'd say if the quakes are strong enough to warrant making your trucks run and hide just to survive, then it's a bad idea. They should at the very least be able to survive the quake if left on their own, and maybe just require the occasional repairs or replacement.

Hmm, actually, why do earthquakes even hurt vehicles? Doesn't it seem like they should do much more damage to structures, and almost nothing to vehicles? (Unless a building fell over onto them).

Btw, I don't think proximity to DIRTs helps at all. I'm pretty sure it's more of a global thing. (Although I'd have to check each possible type of damage to really be sure, but from what I've seen so far, it all appears to be a global percentage value).

Oh, and here's a thought. Let's say you pull off some risky gamble and get more ore, that may help increase the chance of your survival, but if you're constantly choosing locations where you can stand a big loss that will mean the end of your colony with some small probability (fixed or at least bounded away from 0 by a constant), then in the long run your colony will go extinct with probability 1. (This sort of ignores evacuating the planet to safety, and hence having no real long run). Anyways, just a thought for you risk takers.

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Worth The Risk?
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 10:20:27 PM »
Btw, I don't think proximity to DIRTs helps at all. I'm pretty sure it's more of a global thing. (Although I'd have to check each possible type of damage to really be sure, but from what I've seen so far, it all appears to be a global percentage value).
Actually, it looks like DIRTs only give protection to structures they're linked to via tubes or other structures.

Offline Tellaris

Worth The Risk?
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 01:55:52 AM »
From what I've seen, dirt protection seems to be based on # of connected structures, and # of connected dirts. Each building takes up some % worth, and its all compounded into a percent.
Spell Checker!   The PoWeR tOoL
Click Here For Coolness
Self Proclaimed OPU Help desk.

Offline Hidiot

Worth The Risk?
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 03:29:53 AM »
As far as I could tell, 1 non-upgraded DIRT "protects" 10 connected buildings and an upgraded DIRT "protects" somewhere around 12 or more. And yeah, you could have a bunch of DIRTs on one edge of the map and your base on the other edge, if the DIRTS are tube connected to the base, then they will work and add protection.

DIRTs are good for Tokamaks too  ;)

Generally, I prefer areas with mild-medium disasters if the ore in there is made up of 3-bars and maybe some 2-bars. Otherwise 2-bars and 1-bars (in case you can't find other 2-bars) with little or no disasters are my choice.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Leviathan

Worth The Risk?
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 02:27:53 PM »
Well I dont play single player or with disasters but I would say its worth it because the tube wont be destroyed when a disaster comes and you can mine from it for awhile untill its destroyed then rebuild it after as long as you dont have to do this all the time.