Author Topic: Eden Starship To Plymouth Starship 3?  (Read 2115 times)

Offline DarekStar

Eden Starship To Plymouth Starship 3?
« on: March 12, 2008, 07:06:41 PM »
I have no idea how to make it to where in eden starship. you play as plymouth and the npc is eden.

if someone has allready converted it plz post cuz i cant find and if not can someone tell me how.

thanks in advance.
-Darek

Caution this user refuses to spell check or even try and spell corectly unless posting a story.

so bare with him

Offline spirit1flyer

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 07:10:20 PM »
no one as far as I know has done that with any of the colony games.  The coding required would be a massive project. Basically you would have to program the AI and each of its steps for Eden. Thats not likely to happen any time soon.  
"Until you stalk and overrun You can't devour anyone"

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline DarekStar

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 08:03:03 PM »
then how about just making the player plymouth?

-Darek

Caution this user refuses to spell check or even try and spell corectly unless posting a story.

so bare with him

Offline Hidiot

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 05:23:14 AM »
You'd still have to redo the whole map with its random events and lava paths and such.

And Plymouth is in a very advantageous position as it is.

My personal opinion is that focus should be turned to making new maps with new ideas as such.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline DarekStar

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 08:06:36 AM »
the reason i asked is because that map is my favorit map and id like to play as something elce but yes new maps are needed.

thanks hidiot
-Darek

so bare with him

Offline spirit1flyer

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 08:46:10 AM »
Well the map would be far easier to come by, but not the reprogramming.  Most of the people here can't do what I can do with C++ and I can hardly get a working colony game. People like Eddy-B can do a lot more with it.  
"Until you stalk and overrun You can't devour anyone"

Loyal Xfir supporter

Offline Hidiot

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 09:44:08 AM »
I would have made maps if I would have gotten past the AI thing... but with life coming in, I didn't feel like taking long hours trying to find out what's not working...
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 05:13:52 PM »
Actually, I'm pretty sure that's posted somewhere. The level wasn't remade, it was just hex edited. I was really simple too. Come to think of it, I think there was a post written somewhat like a tutorial so beginners could try doing things like that themselves with freeware disassemblers and hex editors. It probably could have been done within half an hour even if you had no idea what you where doing, and needed to download the software.

Edit: I can't seem to find those posts anymore. Maybe they're gone. They don't seem to be in the archive either.

Anyways, if you wanted to do it yourself, you'd probably use OllyDbg, check the names table (Ctrl+n, when you have the disassembly window active), and find the decorated name for GoEden, or GoPlymouth. They'll have a bit of junk on either end of the name. If you follow them in the code window, you should see a CALL <address>. Write down the addresses, and exchange them. (There will be one call for GoEden for your colony, and one call to GoPlymouth for the AI colony, so make sure you look up both of them). If you hit space (or maybe most other keys) with the line highlighted, it should popup a window with the current instruction and allow you to enter in a new instruction. Just change the address portion of it. The code bytes will change, and probably be highlighted in red.

You might need a hex editor to make the actual changes and write them back to the file. In which case, write the new red bytes over the old bytes. You can always do a search for the old bytes to try and find the right location in the file. If you've already overwritten the old bytes in OllyDbg, then you can use backspace to undo the changes to see them. Also, make sure the found locations are unique. You don't want to overwrite the wrong place. If it's not unique, then search for a few extra bytes around the desired instruction until it is.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 05:47:56 PM by Hooman »

Offline DarekStar

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 04:26:45 AM »
So it can be done yay thanks hooman (nice avatar btw)

so i have 1 tool but will anyol hex editor work?

-Darek

so bare with him

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 08:42:22 PM »
Yeah, they're all pretty much the same. Although I recommend HxD. It's a free download, and it handles large files nicely.