Author Topic: An Idea Concerning Development  (Read 4253 times)

Offline Nynx

• http://on1-k.deviantart.com/
An Idea Concerning Development
« on: November 21, 2007, 12:33:59 PM »
i dont know if you guys have started coding your own engine yet, but i was perusing around the warcraft III editor when i was struck with an idea:

use the warcraft III engine for op3

reasons for:
--------------
-prebuilt 3d RTS engine
-easy to customize map tiles, models, effects, sounds, everything!
-alot of NON-OUTPOST FANATICS might actually d/l it and give it a try because they own warcraft III

reasons against:
-------------------
-its an older engine
-its not custom built by you

i think this would help you guys but hey, thats why this is under 'crude ideas'

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 12:50:37 PM »
If you do that you make a Mod for WC3 it would be quicker and alot easier.  Im not sure if you could use the Op2 graphics or your own models.

Im not a big fan of the war craft / star craft series.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 12:51:19 PM by Freeza-CII »

Offline Marukasu

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 03:38:10 PM »
-easy to customize map tiles, models, effects, sounds, everything!
Well i would certainly hope that you could import textures.

Offline Nynx

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 06:27:34 PM »
absolutely! theres a whole site that is dedicated to editing the nuts and bolts of warcraft:

importing your own models, skins, tooltip icons

here: http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/

if i werent doing my own game project i would love to help out and maybe do a proof-of-concept demo  (thumbsup)  

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 06:30:17 PM »
Would this be a problem for Outpost fanatics that don't own Warcraft III?

I can't say I've ever been fond of Warcraft III. I felt the 3D aspect took away from the game play rather than added to it. I really didn't care for that.

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 08:18:22 PM »
We talked about this years ago, and only I remember?
Somebody suggested we mod WC3 and we crucified him/her. It was sacrilege.
No. Any new Outpost games will not be mods of existing games. Except maybe a mod of OP2.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 08:18:32 PM by Sirbomber »
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 09:41:40 PM »
Every one wants to use or suggest the WC3 stuff.  I would suggest looking around to see if there is some thing else that would work.  And then compare them.  Instead of just pick what is just new or great or UBER.

Offline Fenrisul

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 12:04:27 AM »
The issue with the Outpost style games...are the complexity and intricuit methods of play in comparison to most RTS...  Keeping things like "Morale" and Population of scientists/workers/children would have to be "Map-driven" rather than mod driven.  Annoying to say the least.

Offline Marukasu

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007, 09:15:09 AM »
The issue with the Outpost style games...are the complexity and intricuit methods of play in comparison to most RTS... Keeping things like "Morale" and Population of scientists/workers/children would have to be "Map-driven" rather than mod driven. Annoying to say the least.

Yeah outpost has many more variables to worry about but the idea could work for a pet project of yours Nynx. :D  Instead of suggesting that we use it you could always use it to make your own op game. Mind you i doubt it will be nearly as complicated but that doesn't change the fact that its not a bad place to get into the moding community through. :lol:

if i werent doing my own game project i would love to help out and maybe do a proof-of-concept demo
Just remember that the opu community has fairly high standards. :heh:  
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 09:17:19 AM by Marukasu »

Offline Nynx

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2007, 09:50:11 PM »
well gee, with such a negative response from some of the crusty old op2-ers here, i dont think i would really want to make an OP project

not worth the undo harsh criticisms and detractions from such esteemed individuals as sirbomber and the like. seriously, maybe another op game will never come out simply becuase you guys arent over op2 at all. instead rename this project to better reflect what its really about: making op2 in a 3d realm

seriously i've read that almost every idea has been shot down to one degree or another, so why have this forum? why not just nail a sticky to this wall saying: "Here is the new stuff for op3, dont suggest anything, we have it covered"

apparently so, marukusa, apparently so, but is it too high for its own good?

listen, i love op2, and its not this one post i made thats irking me, but just the straw that broke the camels back. you got accept some sort of new idea, otherwise this isnt op3 at all, and in reality op3 can be accomplished using the mod tools for op2!

ok, done ranting
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 09:51:13 PM by Nynx »

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2007, 10:03:56 PM »
seriously i've read that almost every idea has been shot down to one degree or another, so why have this forum? why not just nail a sticky to this wall saying: "Here is the new stuff for op3, dont suggest anything, we have it covered"

Alot of ideas purposed by the people who find this sub forum recently are basicly reposting ideas that have already been killed or accepted and yes there have been some that have been.  Newwer people really need to read through all the idea threads before they post there own so they can see what has been said and maybe they can improve on the idea or it will inspire another idea.

Just remember that the opu community has fairly high standards.

No one is doing a OP2 3d.  So its free for any one to do.  Most people want a OP3 with a good story and game play that will resemble op2s with out it being a Uber weapon fest that recent games have done.  The #1 thing we dont want is to be a clone of some other  RTS.  A mod is a different story if it actually looks like op2.  I have seen some WC3 mods that just change the names of the units.  Laziness.

Offline Marukasu

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2007, 05:30:02 AM »
No one is doing a OP2 3d. So its free for any one to do. Most people want a OP3 with a good story and game play that will resemble op2s with out it being a Uber weapon fest that recent games have done.

Okay first of that wasn't some kind of insult i meant it. opu has high standards, how is that a bad thing!
Also op1 wasn't all that similar to op2. So why can't op3 be not all that similar to op2?

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2007, 10:54:03 AM »
So why can't op3 be not all that similar to op2?

Because we want a RTS that continues op2.  Not a completely different game like OP1 is to OP2

Offline Nynx

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2007, 12:44:56 PM »
you want something close to op2? then get rid of that darn '2nd starship theory' that just doesnt seem to die!

if anything is the least like op2 its this 'maesis' colony junk! just have a new colony or two spring out of the phoenix voyager colony when it lands on a new world.

the reason for separation doesnt have to be for an environmental reason, make it politics or social causes.

and the problem with high standards is you scare away a lot of people that just want to help or weigh in an idea through snapping at them and saying 'no!'

and Freeza, have you actually inspected every SINGLE WC3 mod? of course not, theres too many, so whats to make you think that an op2 TCM for wc3 would just be a renaming fest? (thats right, it would be a TCM: total conversion mod)

i dont want an uber-weapon fest either, but you shouldnt stamp out everyone's ideas based on: "oh noes! they might suggest another uber weapon! BAN BAN BAN!"

:P  

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2007, 12:48:22 PM »
i dont want an uber-weapon fest either, but you shouldnt stamp out everyone's ideas based on: "oh noes! they might suggest another uber weapon! BAN BAN BAN!"
Last time I checked, people who suggested ideas in this forum, no matter how bad they were, didn't get banned for it.

One of the biggest reasons a WC3 mod won't work is because not many of us even have WC3.
And how flexible even is that engine? From what Fenrisul said, doesn't seem so much. Which would mean the gameplay would be forced closer to WC3.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 12:52:18 PM by Arklon »

Offline Nynx

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2007, 12:52:19 PM »
again it was just an idea :)

the whole ban thing is something called a hyerbole, a sort of exaggeration, because some of you really do crucify some of these ideas to the point that the poster might as well be banned  :lol:  

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2007, 02:44:17 PM »
You also have to realize that since it is there idea they tend to defend it to the very very end.

Offline Marukasu

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2007, 12:19:34 PM »
You also have to realize that since it is there idea they tend to defend it to the very very end.

Yep and that statement includes anyone.
There is nothing wrong with disagreeing about something.
But the key thing is to use constructive criticism.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 12:21:15 PM by Marukasu »