Author Topic: Outpost 3 Being Developed By Stellerware  (Read 17181 times)

Offline Humility

Outpost 3 Being Developed By Stellerware
« on: November 19, 2007, 08:41:42 PM »
http://forums.relicnews.com/archive/index.php/t-3273.html
Outpost 3 was being developed by a company called Stellarwave. From personally talking to the developer / owner of the company, the game sounded quite interesting.
It was gonna be in true 3D (no more 2D). It would be real time of course. The game would stick to the Outpost 2 model with a combination of colony management and combat. However, the game would expand on Outpost 2's style with better combat as well as more involved colony building and management. A better AI would also being included. He game me the example of say you attack a certain canyon a number of times, the AI will set up guard posts or better protection in that area as a result.

However, the game would also offer a choice of 3 styles of gameplay.
1. no combat - aka just building a colony
2. Outpost 2 style
3. and the new Outpost 3 style (whatever that would be)

Some other features:

There would be a surface level, underground, and underwater.
In Outpost 1, you had to switch between the undground and surface, however, in Outpost 3, a transparency layer would be used so that you can see the underground from the surface (thus, no switching).

The game would take the weapons technology of Outpost 2, keep it, and expand on it with a new level of weapons technology. The game would also introduce aircraft as well as more space related stuff. Combat would take on a new level in the game (compared to Outpost 2).
In addition, the game would have the option to build colonies in space. You could play on a solor system level and colonize in space as well as on multiple planets in the solor system. I remember one day talking to him where he told me he was working on the 3D model for the agridome for space.
In addition to this, they were considering a massively multipalyer version, where you play on a constantly running universe and colonize planets throughout the galaxy (while competing with other people).

I was also told about where he played a game (I guess of the alpha version) where the other person made a sneak attack by sending his units underwater and sneaking up on his base. Sounded interestig to me.

In addition to the combat aspect, Outpost 3 would keep and expand on the colony strategy elements. Monorails would be reintroduced as well as more colony control requirements.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 08:42:55 PM by Humility »
Pride was the fall of man and angel alike only by humility may we be saved.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 08:44:57 PM »
Outpost 3 was being developed by a company called Stellarwave. From personally talking to the developer / owner of the company, the game sounded quite interesting.
It was gonna be in true 3D (no more 2D). It would be real time of course. The game would stick to the Outpost 2 model with a combination of colony management and combat. However, the game would expand on Outpost 2's style with better combat as well as more involved colony building and management. A better AI would also being included. He game me the example of say you attack a certain canyon a number of times, the AI will set up guard posts or better protection in that area as a result.

Ancient history my friend.  

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 08:51:17 PM »
Stellarwave was destroyed by Nazis because they didn't want us to have Outpost 3.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Humility

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 09:54:50 PM »
oh Why don`t you buy the rights and the engine they used?

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 10:52:17 PM »
You're assuming that Stellarwave still has rights to sell us and that they did not destroy the code when they were bought out. Sierra destroyed the source code to op2 when it was bought out, for example.

Offline Humility

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 12:30:12 PM »
ok it is just disappointing when I read that your planning on using OP2 engine for Genesis.

Offline Fenrisul

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 12:44:48 PM »
ok it is just disappointing when I read that your planning on using OP2 engine for Genesis.
Uhhhh what?

Offline Mez

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 04:22:40 PM »
Where the hell did you get that idea, link please?

Offline Humility

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 08:01:14 PM »
Last time i was here all those months ago it read that they were planning on making genesis with OP2s graphics.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 10:20:35 PM »
Last time i was here all those months ago it read that they were planning on making genesis with OP2s graphics.
Never the case. Genesis is being built from the ground up using the ogre engine as a base. It is a 3d game engine.

oh Why don`t you buy the rights and the engine they used?
Unfortunately, none of us have several thousand dollars to shell out to a company that may or may not still exist.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 10:22:16 PM by BlackBox »

Offline Savant 231-A

• https://www.outpost2.net
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2007, 06:26:08 AM »
Unfortunately, none of us have several thousand dollars to shell out to a company that may or may not still exist.
If I get money on lottery, I promise, that at least 10% will go to opu. :P
(judging to my luck, that will never happen)

Gordon Freeman, and mr. Crowbar would own Master Chief in any part of the day.
"Come here citizen."

"From the ashes of the collapse we seek to build a better world for all."