Author Topic: How Do You Hack Open Op2?  (Read 2306 times)

Offline 7842303

How Do You Hack Open Op2?
« on: September 12, 2007, 07:58:14 PM »
i always here people mod op2. how can i?
onword to battle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
unless your tired, of cource

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 08:27:26 PM »
first thing i would think would be to learn to create content for the game.

start with mapping.

wiki.outpostuniverse.net/Mapper

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 09:50:49 PM »
Edit: Err, just read the difference between your title and your question in your post. They generally imply quite different things.

To Mod: Just start with something simple like the map editor, or editing the tech and unit stats from Sheets.vol.

To Hack: (If this is REALLY what you want to do, even though it's unlikely)

Grab a debugger/disassembler, and go. You will need to know assembly language to really understand much, but you can sort of pick that up as you go along. Just google for OllyDbg, it's a free download. Also nice to keep an x86 instruction reference available, such as Intels "IA32 - Vol 2" document. You can search Intel's website for a free download of that too.

Granted, it really helps to be at least resonably familiar with programming, and maybe do a bit of experimenting with a C++ compiler and the debugger/disassembler so you can see what the code gets translated into.

Don't bother reading the whole doc on the Intel instruction set. It's got hundred of instructions, and hundreds of pages. Most of the instructions won't be used. Just look things up as you need them.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 09:54:28 PM by Hooman »

Offline 7842303

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 10:51:52 AM »
:huh: oh thats it? ok thanks :D  and i sorta mean mod
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 04:10:40 PM by 7842303 »
onword to battle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
unless your tired, of cource