Author Topic: Downloading Op1  (Read 7476 times)

Offline anubite

Downloading Op1
« on: July 20, 2007, 12:26:13 PM »
help, ive downloaded OP1 around 5 times, i have winrar and its set to recognize iso files.... but everytime i try to extract the file i get an error saying:

The file is either an unknown format or damaged.

please help cuz i LOVE OP1 and my disk version doesnt work anymore

Offline Brazilian Fan

Downloading Op1
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 12:39:08 PM »
Do not extract the ISO file. Use it to burn a CD or to load on a Virtual Drive (Daemon Tools, Alcohol 120%, Alcohol 52%, MagicISO, etc)

Offline Mez

Downloading Op1
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 01:59:42 PM »
Sometimes I wonder why I created detailed instructions on how to extract the outpost.rar file and then  use the raw outpost.iso file in the first place, lots of people appear not to be able to read them.

Perhaps I haven't made them clear enough.

Edit:  Just added two lines into the instructions in bold font.

Please re-read the instructions and hopefully your problems and my headaches will be solved in one go!

Offline anubite

Downloading Op1
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 11:07:50 PM »
wait a moment, i am following the directions.  i know i have to put the outpost.iso file onto a disk, the problem is it DOWNLOADS IN A RAR FILE AND U HAVE TO EXTRACT THE ISO FILE FROM IT FIRST TO BURN IT ONTO A DISK RIGHT??? thats when i get the error message, i dont even get a chance to burn the iso file onto a disk.  u even have a message in there saying:

"Once done move onto Step 3

If you receive an error message about damaged files then it is likely that the download is corrupted and you will need to redownload."

well downloading the file doesnt fix the problem!

maybe before u gripe about people not reading instructions, u should read the re-read the post and then actually maybe, HELP.  secondly, if u want people to UNCHECK the iso option when they download winRAR, u should put up a screenshot with it UNCHECKED.  when i downloaded it, there was no mention as to which options to have checked or unchecked so i followed the pictures that were put up.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 11:15:01 PM by anubite »

Offline Flameoftheabyss

Downloading Op1
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 05:01:22 AM »
Stop being rude, especially since it's your mistake.
Don't scold people for your mistakes.

Look:
WinRAR doesn't need to associate .ISO files to it.
You are extracting the .ISO file when you shouldn't be doing so.
The .ISO file is the image of the Outpost CD, which you will be burning into the CD, and not a compressed archive, alright?
In short, you're  not supposed to extract or even open the .ISO file with WinRAR. You just need to extract the .RAR file.

Mez's instructions are correct. Read it again.

Offline anubite

Downloading Op1
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 11:34:38 AM »
wow, im NOT extracting the iso file, but it has to be extracted out of the winrar file right, thats where the problem lies, i cant even get to the iso file...  and im not being rude, im just stating my problem, the responses to my problem however were rude and were not addressing the problem that i was having...

but again, I AM NOT TRYING TO EXTRACT THE ISO FILE ITSELF, I AM TRYING TO GET IT OUT OF THE RAR FILE SO THAT I CAN COPY IT ONTO A CD.  when winrar hits 100% of tryin to extract the outpost.RAR file, it gives me the error message...............................................................................

i followed the instructions perfectly, and if u arent supposed to associate winrar with iso files, maybe the screenshot showing that it is checked should be removed and one put up where it is unchecked... merely a suggestion from us dumb users...

Offline Sirbomber

Downloading Op1
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 12:28:04 PM »
He obviously doesn't appreciate our help. Let's just let him figure it out by himself.
This isn't a difficult subject. I figured it out all by myself without reading any instructions.

I will give you one bit of advice. If you can't extract it, try downloading it again.

P.S. Outpost 2 owns Outpost 1 anyways.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 12:28:57 PM by Sirbomber »
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Downloading Op1
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 03:28:53 PM »
Umm guys....

help, ive downloaded OP1 around 5 times

Is anyone listening to anyone else in this thread?

Offline Sirbomber

Downloading Op1
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 05:06:53 PM »
I saw, so what? It's possible that all 5 times soemthing broke the download. And sxith time's the charm anyways.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Downloading Op1
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 06:51:14 PM »
First of all, check to be sure that you're using a recent version of WinRAR. It's possible that old versions can't read the file.

Second of all, typing in all caps (LIKE THIS) and being rude is not going to help you. People are not going to help someone who is being rude and continuing to be rude may very well cause a mod to look at the topic and decide to close it.

You get help when you ask nicely and calmly explain the problem you have. Not blaming everyone else or acting rudely.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Downloading Op1
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 07:14:49 PM »
Well, I took a look at the download today. I got the Outpost1.rar file, and I extracted the Outpost1.iso file in it. I tried burning the ISO to a CD and it didn't work right. The CD appeared to be empty. I tried opening the ISO file with WinRAR, and it said the iso file was not recognizable.

Anyways, I created an iso file of some misc files on my harddrive for comparison. WinRAR had no trouble opening the file I created. I also took a look at the inside with a hex editor to compare. It was not quite the same format (although the data seemed to be there). I found what appeared to be the beginning of the TOC, which was nicely aligned on a 2048 byte boundary in the file I created, and compared it to the other file. It wasn't 2048 byte aligned in the Outpost1.iso file, nor was it 2352 byte aligned or 2336 byte aligned, as I've read can happen in other modes. Oddly enough the address was a multiple of 2353, which I do find a bit odd. Granted, I don't really know anything about the format of iso files or the structure of the file system on CD-ROMs, although what I have read suggests that iso files are just a direct copy of exactly what's on the CD, nothing more and nothing less.

But, case in point is: CD burning software, and WinRar are both unable to do anything useful with the ISO file in the download. Lots of people have had problem with this file in the past. Maybe it's the ISO file up for download?

There is definately valid data in the file, but it seems to be in a slightly different format. Maybe if the CD was ripped with different software, people might have less trouble with the download. Or why not just pack up the files and folders that were on the CD into a regular zip or rar file? (I'm assuming there's no invalid files/copyright protection that stops this?) Besides, an ISO file is mostly just empty space. I don't see the reason for using an ISO instead of just a straight archive of the contents.

Offline Flameoftheabyss

Downloading Op1
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 06:32:42 AM »
but again, I AM NOT TRYING TO EXTRACT THE ISO FILE ITSELF, I AM TRYING TO GET IT OUT OF THE RAR FILE SO THAT I CAN COPY IT ONTO A CD.  when winrar hits 100% of tryin to extract the outpost.RAR file, it gives me the error message...............................................................................
Take a screen capture of the whole screen when the error occurs (with the error message, of course), upload it to a free image hosting website and link us to it. Preferably in .png, .jpg or .gif format.

Maybe that will provide more clarity on the issue you're having.

i followed the instructions perfectly, and if u arent supposed to associate winrar with iso files, maybe the screenshot showing that it is checked should be removed and one put up where it is unchecked... merely a suggestion from us dumb users...

Associating WinRAR with .ISO files is irrelevant in this situation; it doesn't matter whether you check it or not. All it means is whether WinRAR is the default program to open the file or not.

In the meantime, try reinstalling WinRAR.
Get the latest version here:
http://www.rarlab.com/rar/wrar370.exe

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Downloading Op1
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 01:18:33 PM »
Did you double click on the file to extact it? Because that would default to extract/open, and if WinRar is the default program for ISO files, then it will extract the file and then try to open it. Which would explain the error message as soon as it's done extracting (because it would then try to open the ISO itself). Try using "Extract To".

Offline chris2222

Downloading Op1
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2007, 01:21:18 PM »
Power ISO or Blindwrite should work.  And I'm sure it was WinRAR 3.62 that I used to unrar the file.

I had bought Outpost 1 wayyy back and lost the cd when I moved, still have the box and manuals and updated 3.5" disks though anyways, it was awesome that I found this site.  

The first time I tried the instructions I got exactly a blank disc so I think I used Blindwrite.  

Sorry for all the trouble you're having I know the frustrations your going through.

Offline Mez

Downloading Op1
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2007, 06:39:51 AM »
depending on how much space we have got, I might re-rip the cd and post it on the webbie in a non compressed form.

If people are re downloading the file multiple times then, the whole point of compressing the file to reduce bandwidth consumption is compromised.

and I had to use blindwrite at the time to get round copy protection on the disc, as an exact image is needed, to make the cd run.

Offline Brazilian Fan

Downloading Op1
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2007, 04:24:24 PM »
Use Nero with 'DVD Region + CSS Free', it brakes almost every CD/DVD protection schemes.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Downloading Op1
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2007, 04:48:57 PM »
Use Nero with 'DVD Region + CSS Free', it brakes almost every CD/DVD protection schemes.
It's not protected at all.

The issue is that the ISO is in a non standard format. (ripped with Blindwrite).

I'm sorry, but Blindwrite really sucks... there are much better programs out there that do the same thing.

Offline gamerscd0

Downloading Op1
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2007, 01:17:22 AM »
I have Outpost 1 on cd :D  :op2:  

Offline Mez

Downloading Op1
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2007, 02:02:39 PM »
ill re rip it sometime this week if i remember.

blindwrite was all i had four years ago,  really long time ago now i think about it

Offline ewaerbl

Downloading Op1
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2007, 06:55:16 PM »
Hello!  I'm new here and new to 'posting' in general.   I sure hope i'm 'on-topic' with this  ;)   Here goes.
     I downloaded OP1 and the file appears to be fine.  I put it into a virtual drive and everything seems to be there.  when I go to install it, the program seems to only recognize the virtual drive .  it doesnt see my harddrive.  I used deep burner to try to burn the iso file and i made a nice coaster for my drink.  I used winrar to extract it.  winrar worked fine on the downloadable version of warzone2100, another classic.   They spent alot of hours working over that one.
     should i start over with the whole mess?  or is there an easy fix(choose this option).        Thanks for making this available.  I bought OP1 before there was a OP2.   The disk is long lost im afraid after having moved a few times since then.
     :D  
if all else fails...you're a failure.

Offline Sirbomber

Downloading Op1
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2007, 07:16:25 PM »
As usual, I'd suggest you play OP2 as it's a much better game than OP1 in every conceivable way, and now I'll help you with your problem.

Ignore OP1's errors. Your computer is so advanced that OP1 cannot comprehend its destructive power.

In other words, the designers of OP1 never imagined the possibility of a hard drive bigger than 20 MB.

Edit: Noting that the above post is your first, may I suggest you post in the introduction forum and come on our IRC channel to meet some of us?
IRC Link: http://www.outpostuniverse.net/files/irc/opunnsirc.exe
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 07:26:18 PM by Sirbomber »

Offline Mez

Downloading Op1
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2007, 04:45:50 AM »
ill re rip it sometime this week if i remember.

blindwrite was all i had four years ago,  really long time ago now i think about it
I seem to have forgotten to re-rip it, and I won't be finding that till around December when I go home for the holidays.  By which time I will have completely forgotten about it.

It seems very hit and miss. As to who can use the iso or not.

It probably needs re-uploading in a non compressed form