Author Topic: Aaaaaaaaggggggghhhhhh  (Read 4365 times)

Offline chicer_mister

Aaaaaaaaggggggghhhhhh
« on: July 17, 2007, 10:39:18 AM »
i don't get it, in all colony games i lose cuz the enemy always gets better weapons and comes and destroys my base, and just as i repel first wave here comes emp linx and fries all my units, i don't know how to win

Offline Sirbomber

Aaaaaaaaggggggghhhhhh
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 10:48:09 AM »
Try playing on Easy.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline chicer_mister

Aaaaaaaaggggggghhhhhh
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 11:19:20 AM »
i do, or at least i think, it gives no indication on what dificulty i play, those boxes next to the dificulties, don't highlight

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Aaaaaaaaggggggghhhhhh
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 01:11:02 PM »
Just press Alt and those boxes will highlight properly.

You can also try delaying weapons research. On some levels the AI won't attack until you research weapons, or they send really tiny attack forces. You can deal with the small ones by self destructing scouts on their vehicles.

Or just practice and get good.  :P  

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Aaaaaaaaggggggghhhhhh
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 01:19:25 PM »
I find that Building Guard posts and alot of damn lynxs helps even against a emp They cant get them all.

Offline chicer_mister

Aaaaaaaaggggggghhhhhh
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 02:05:15 PM »
thanx

Offline acid101

Aaaaaaaaggggggghhhhhh
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 07:40:27 PM »
which colony game specifically are u speaking of?

Offline chicer_mister

Aaaaaaaaggggggghhhhhh
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 09:54:40 AM »
the plymout spaceship builder 2

Offline Psudomorph

Aaaaaaaaggggggghhhhhh
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 07:11:32 PM »
the plymout spaceship builder 2
On easy there are no attacks on you at all. I never got around to beating it on medium/hard so I don't have first hand experience, but if you want to try medium/hard, here are my suggestions:

1. Set the speed to 1 to get the most time to react to changes.

Edit: See next post, Baikon's way is far better.
2. Establish a base in the rocky area to the south. It has the highest yield common mine. Have a ratio of 2 smelters per mine.

3. Multiple vehicle factories building lynx as fast as they can.

4. I've never managed to knock out the secondary base eden builds in the west, but if you could do that and build a least a mining operation there, it would effectively halve eden's power and double your own. That was the task I was engaged in the last time I played.

5. The blight will approach at mark 3500 on easy, probably sooner on other difficulties. This is the only colony game that contains blight.

EDIT: If you want to play colony games on medium/hard, I suggest starting out with Eden games, Eden seems to have a much easier time on the med/hard games than plymoth, and I found them a good way to practice.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 09:41:25 PM by Psudomorph »

Offline Tellaris

Aaaaaaaaggggggghhhhhh
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 07:48:44 PM »
Psudo,  your 2nd idea is bad for medium, and horrible for hard.
1. First off, keep restarting the game until your units end up where you want them.   They are semi-randomly placed at the top of the map
2.  Build near where you start.   On the black ground, there is a 3 bar common.   Start with this.   DO NOT build your whole base on the black land though.   The volcanic eruption will obliterate anything you put on the black.
3. There should be a single common mine nearby, and a double common on a spot where the grey/black/orange land meets.   Expand to these as soon as the lava whipes out your mines.   Careful not to loose any trucks!   These'll provide a fair bit of ore.
4. To the East of you, there is a rare ore mine.   Its not too far, just tube to it. (This is why you don't build in rocky area.   No nearby rare)
5.  Get Microwave and stickyfoam tanks fast, they can delay attacking armies quickly and effectively (especially the stickyfoam)   Work on getting EMP and ESG out.   Once you have these, mass them.   They'll effectively defeat most Tiger attacks Eden will put against you.
6. If you can rushkill the Eden base in the South West, this will really make things easier.   Build there.   Its the 3rd last area to be infected by the blight, which will buy you precious time.    Plenty of ore there too.   If you do take out this spot, you can abandon your old base.   You won't need it, and it won't be long for the blight to whipe it all out.   Just idle the structures (not a bad idea to just deconstruct them.   If you leave most of them, tho, the AI will beeline for that old base first, until everything in it that is not a morale building is dead.   Use this to your advantage!)
7. If you can, however knock out the FIRST Eden base, and decide to ignore the second, its attacks are easily managed.   One vec fac can only build so fast.   This is also the last spot to get infected by the blight!
8. Don't forget the Microwave rush!   Unupgraded, the microwaves will obliterate an Eden lasers.   Why?   Eden's laser does 5 points LESS damage then a Microwave.   Granted, half of that is due to concussion, but Light armor blocks very little of that anyway (if any).   Reserch Heat dissipitation and Turret powerplant with scout drive train refit, and you have a killer.   About 40 of these things will mow through the Eden 1st base.   You need to get them very early though, before mark ... ah... about 500?   I find its easier to build a group of about 10, then move them in in 10s.   The AI will simply stream tanks at you, so they're easily managed.   You only need to build up enough to take on the guardposts.
9.  Don't forget colony management!   Otherwise, you'll lose anyway.
10. REMEMBER: The objectives are to LEAVE NEW TERRA.   You do NOT have to whipe out Eden!   Theres plenty of time to get all the starship bits out before you have to deal with the blight.   On medium, Blight comes about mark 2500 I think.
Spell Checker!   The PoWeR tOoL
Click Here For Coolness
Self Proclaimed OPU Help desk.

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Aaaaaaaaggggggghhhhhh
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 08:20:59 PM »
Tellaris, you should definitely deconstruct your old base if it's about to get infected. First, infected structures waste your structure limit (well, since it's very high in single player (I can make a base in Eden Starship that takes up the whole lower-left corner of the map and not hit the limit), I guess this isn't really a problem). Second, they receive and therefore waste power. Third, they count as disabled structures that affect your disabled structure ratio, which impacts morale. Fourth, the "structures disabled" voice gets annoying.

Offline Psudomorph

Aaaaaaaaggggggghhhhhh
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 09:51:04 PM »
Tellaris, you should definitely deconstruct your old base if it's about to get infected.
I think idling accomplishes the same thing, except for the structure limit. Of course if you have a GORF, it is well worth disassembling the base for the resources.

Baikon, my hat is off to you. I was way too intimidated by the Eden colony in that game to even seriously consider the possibility of destroying it via rush.

You are good.  (thumbsup)  

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Aaaaaaaaggggggghhhhhh
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2007, 09:53:56 PM »
Tellaris, you should definitely deconstruct your old base if it's about to get infected.
I think idling accomplishes the same thing, except for the structure limit. Of course if you have a GORF, it is well worth disassembling the base for the resources.

Baikon, my hat is off to you. I was way too intimidated by the Eden colony in that game to even seriously consider the possibility of destroying it via rush.

You are good.  (thumbsup)
No, if you idle them, when they are infected, they're no longer "idle", they're disabled and thus impact morale and annoy you, and they also start using your power. It stops the people in them from dying, though.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 09:54:10 PM by Arklon »

Offline Tellaris

Aaaaaaaaggggggghhhhhh
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2007, 09:19:12 PM »
Disabled bldg ratio is only a problem when it exceedes a certain percent, I tihnk hooman said it was 10%.   So the AI will gut most the base for you either way, and at most you'll probobly have 6 surviving morale buildings.   Remember, disasters will kill some too.  So in all honesty, disabled building isn't a huge problem.   And since most of the power consumeing buildings are dead anyway, a few MHD counters this.   Besides, why would you really worry about that when the BLIGHT is about to eat you alive?
Spell Checker!   The PoWeR tOoL
Click Here For Coolness
Self Proclaimed OPU Help desk.

Offline Sirbomber

Aaaaaaaaggggggghhhhhh
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 12:32:08 PM »
GORF your base for starship metal.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline Flameoftheabyss

Aaaaaaaaggggggghhhhhh
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2007, 06:45:00 AM »
On Easy for all colony games except Plymouth Cold war, do not research any weapons technology, nor should you build any combat units or guard posts.
They'll never attack your base. The most they do is to send lots of scouts wandering all over your base.

Offline Psudomorph

Aaaaaaaaggggggghhhhhh
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2007, 02:57:21 PM »
On Easy for all colony games except Plymouth Cold war, do not research any weapons technology, nor should you build any combat units or guard posts.
They'll never attack your base. The most they do is to send lots of scouts wandering all over your base.
They don't attack on Easy period, regardless of what you research or build. It's good if you just want to have fun building a colony, rather than fight.

Offline Flameoftheabyss

Aaaaaaaaggggggghhhhhh
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2007, 07:53:38 PM »
Heh, I should've said to avoid those if you want a good score, since it would be a waste of time to do so. :)

Offline Sirbomber

Aaaaaaaaggggggghhhhhh
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2007, 11:02:43 PM »
They don't attack on Easy period, regardless of what you research or build.
Some of us can ensure they don't attack on hard either.  ;)  

Offline Nightmare24148

Aaaaaaaaggggggghhhhhh
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2008, 06:21:27 PM »
GORF your base for starship metal.
I did that when the Blight was eating my base! Was able to send both my Common Cargo and Evacuation Module into space (along with the SULVs that had to be built) :D!

But yeah, on Medium and Hard, its more annoying when they don't have bases to eliminate (Eden Population, Plymouth Population, Plymouth Starship) <_<. Lemme tell you, its pretty scary seeing over 20 Tigers, over 20 Panthers, and over 20 Lynxes appear in the southern peninsula, along with other random forces :(.  
I look to see, in the mirror.

All I see, is that he is me.

Offline Hidiot

Aaaaaaaaggggggghhhhhh
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2008, 06:25:59 AM »
hmm... plym starship 2... I did go between the rocks south of the main Eden base :D Thne just massacred that base with mics and stickies. The southern base send units according to the number of units you have, so after you take out the first base and any attacking enemies, kill off most of your army, keep 3 stickies for safety. Failing that, get a scout and then a nice ESG lynx to make the eden attacking army go in circles. They self-destruct after a while.

Managed to win plym starship 2 on normal, having destroyed both enemy bases and with time to spare, bulldozing certain areas to test blight movement pattern changes.

Trust me... If I managed to win those... Anyone can in some time.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline 4302062

Aaaaaaaaggggggghhhhhh
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2008, 04:34:06 PM »
what is the research item that lets you build you starship?

(and microlynx spamming is th key tho victory here)
big words make me feel speciel

Offline Hidiot

Aaaaaaaaggggggghhhhhh
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2008, 12:38:37 AM »
"Space Program", obviously :)

You need to research "Rare Ore Processing" for that. (as the starship needs rare ore to be made).

Hope I didn't miss anything...
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"