Author Topic: Why Does Irc Not Work  (Read 20060 times)

Offline Quantum

Why Does Irc Not Work
« on: July 09, 2007, 12:27:36 PM »
I've heard people talk about IRC not working but I don't know why it doesn't does anyone have the answer?

This conversation did not happen, the gun that I have in my hand is not real and the Presidents book does not exist.

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Why Does Irc Not Work
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 02:58:12 PM »
Whoever hosts the server is having problems with the server.

Offline Quantum

Why Does Irc Not Work
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 03:07:40 PM »
and the host is...
This conversation did not happen, the gun that I have in my hand is not real and the Presidents book does not exist.

Offline Leviathan

Why Does Irc Not Work
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 04:45:22 PM »
Galactic hosts our IRC server.

We have had a few problems in the past few weeks. We should of stayed on QuakeNet :P

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Why Does Irc Not Work
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 04:47:39 PM »
We have had a few problems in the past few weeks. We should of stayed on QuakeNet :P
QueerNet wasn't any better.

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Why Does Irc Not Work
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 04:51:13 PM »
Galactic hosts our IRC server.

Galactic has done an amazing job hosting us... I've been quite happy with the hosting... downtime is understandable imho :)
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Why Does Irc Not Work
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 05:09:28 PM »
So easy to write off Galactic isnt it?

Our server is great and has less down time then qnet ever did.

Server down time is part of the internet life LIVE WITH IT.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Why Does Irc Not Work
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 05:26:54 PM »
Ugh don't start with this "We should have stayed on Quakenet" crap again. Quakenet is one of the worst IRC networks I have dealt with. I'll make a short list of reasons why quakenet is bad:

1- netsplits all the time
2- only a couple USA servers, which are slow and netsplit often. Most of our users are from the USA so it makes sense to have servers in the USA.
3- since there are so many users, the opers enforce rules very rigidly and will not do small favors for someone who is in need (if you forget your Q password (Q = analogue of NickServ) you will get no sympathy from them and they will do nothing about it. If you forget your password here, we will gladly reset it to something new).
4- almost all of the opers have the maturity of a junior high school student, not that of adults (even though they are of adult age).
5- need I continue?...

I am working on methods to restart the IRC server automatically when the server goes down, so this won't really be much of a problem next time it happens.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
Why Does Irc Not Work
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 05:27:25 PM »
Lol, yes. Some downtime is to be expected. We shouldn't go crucifying the people giving us free hosting because of it.

I think the hosting here is pretty good.

Offline Quantum

Why Does Irc Not Work
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 06:11:42 PM »
I thought OP2 hacker fixed the problem completely

not to be mean
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 06:12:18 PM by Quantum »

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Why Does Irc Not Work
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 07:07:19 PM »
There was a problem with the IRC server starting back up on system reboot, that has been fixed now.

This shouldn't be a major problem next time the server is restarted. Just a downtime of a couple minutes.

Offline Leviathan

Why Does Irc Not Work
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2007, 04:04:39 AM »
Good work op2hacker. Thanks :)

Offline Quantum

Why Does Irc Not Work
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007, 08:47:02 AM »
did you fix it yourself!?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 08:47:15 AM by Quantum »

Offline zhukant

Why Does Irc Not Work
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2007, 10:38:57 PM »
Personally, I didn't see many problems with QuakeNet. I [personally] was never netsplit, and had a lot less lag (as per the lag bar in mIRC) than I do now. I also liked the L system.

However: I did not know any "opers" or whatever they are, I to this day don't know what they were, and just because I didn't have those problems, doesn't mean other people didn't.

In any case, I trust my admins that the new way is the better way, and it's not too bad. Besides, how much work does it take to switch to a new server? Sounds like it's much easier said than done =]

——
Detected rip in space-time continuum. Attempting repairs. Attempt #1 failed. Cause: unknown. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #2 failed. Cause: probe annihilated. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #3 failed. Cause: fleet annihilated. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #4 failed. Cause: 404 Could

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Why Does Irc Not Work
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2007, 01:58:12 AM »
There isnt much difference in the L system and the Nickserv system just names

Offline Quantum

Why Does Irc Not Work
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2007, 10:58:47 AM »
What is Quake net?    

Offline zhukant

Why Does Irc Not Work
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2007, 11:50:09 AM »
QuakeNet was the old host server for our IRC. Right now we connect to irc.outpostuniverse.net, but before we had this (thanks to Galactic), we used to connect to irc.quakenet.org. You can try it yourself. If you try listing all the channels it will kill your computer ^^
Detected rip in space-time continuum. Attempting repairs. Attempt #1 failed. Cause: unknown. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #2 failed. Cause: probe annihilated. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #3 failed. Cause: fleet annihilated. Retry: comply: proceeding. Attempt #4 failed. Cause: 404 Could

Offline Quantum

Why Does Irc Not Work
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2007, 09:27:21 AM »
oh...

Offline Leviathan

Why Does Irc Not Work
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2007, 03:52:28 AM »
QuakeNet did netsplit sometimes but I think that was the only real problem with it. And netsplits dont normaly last that long.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Why Does Irc Not Work
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2007, 05:29:36 PM »
I guess no one remembers the incident where almost everyone got g-lined then. This was a major problem for several days.

And there were netsplits that lasted multiple days at times. Of course, after a major netsplit, the services (Q and L) were overloaded with people trying to auth with them for the next couple of hours.

And minor nuisances: Global notices would be sent advertising tutorial sessions. The only time we send global notices here at OPU is when the server is about to go down for maintenance.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 05:29:59 PM by op2hacker »

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Why Does Irc Not Work
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2007, 06:19:05 PM »
QuakeNet did netsplit sometimes but I think that was the only real problem with it. And netsplits dont normaly last that long.

the netsplits occured like 2 or 3 times a day.  This was dependant on what server you were on to.  

And I do remember that G-line bulls***.  lasted for like 2 weeks.  Then it was found out because of some obscure irc setting.  

Ill give you one Good reason why our server is better.

When we want some one gone from the channel/network we can boot them and not have to see the Bot or L do the ban/boot spam every time they try to reenter the channel.

Offline Quantum

Why Does Irc Not Work
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2007, 07:50:06 PM »
g-line? :huh:
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 07:50:23 PM by Quantum »

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Why Does Irc Not Work
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2007, 08:28:58 PM »
g-line? :huh:
Ban from an entire IRC network.

Offline Leviathan

Why Does Irc Not Work
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2007, 03:49:45 AM »