Author Topic: Op2 Bash Each Month  (Read 7564 times)

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Op2 Bash Each Month
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2007, 01:51:41 PM »
Whenever I finish something, no matter how small or large it is, it is going public. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to hold back a finished product until a randomly decided date.  

Offline zanco

Op2 Bash Each Month
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2007, 02:07:29 PM »
Arklon, what's up with the negativeness? Are you having some kind of mood swings again?

Anyways, I do believe it is a good idea to gather around (and beat the channel nick record). If by that time, an update or a release is not ready to be released, just say so... let me help you on this one
Example: "Sorry guys, I am still working on <insert project here>, but couldn't have it ready by today. I hope it will be done by <insert date here>"

... nothing to rant about.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 02:09:17 PM by zanco »
if anyone finds and communicate to us that which thus far has eluded our efforts, great will be our gratitude.
          Jakob Bernouilli

"Zanco`, n00b o' The Flares"

Offline Sirbomber

Op2 Bash Each Month
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2007, 03:23:15 PM »
I don't make too much anymore, but if I do make anything I'm not waiting for some arbitrary monthly reunion to release it.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 03:23:41 PM by Sirbomber »
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Op2 Bash Each Month
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2007, 10:23:58 PM »
Also don't forget that at these times we have an influx of new users / users who haven't been around awhile. Which means they all have to download the update all at the same time. If something goes wrong then someone has to try and help everyone out at once, instead of being able to deal with it one person at a time.

And yes, 1.3.4 is a good example, it was rushed out the door, and then a quick fix had to be made in order for everyone to be able to use it.

There are a couple other good reasons why updates can't wait (or be rushed for) the next 'reunion'. First of all, the reunion / whatever itself kinda overshadows any updates to projects that might get released at the same time. It also tends to overwhelm the users who are having to worry about downloading all the different updates. Finally, it makes it easy to introduce problems when an update has to be rushed (or on the opposite end, it encourages laziness if someone has to wait to release something at a certain time -- "I have 3 months to finish this code").

Releasing beforehand also gives time for a smaller group of users to test drive code or whatnot that might have bugs, so that the bugs can be patched up by the time of the actual reunion when everyone is going to be downloading the code / mission / whatever. (See Plymouth Cold War -- I had to rush it to get it out by the reunion. As a result, the "AI" is perfectly horrible).

Offline Leviathan

Op2 Bash Each Month
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2007, 03:42:37 AM »
I think we should move this event till the last weekend of the month so maybe we can send out a newsletter and try and get more people involved :)

Offline Quantum

Op2 Bash Each Month
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2007, 10:13:41 AM »
Nah I don't think so it does not depend on the weekend because everyone is mostly free

But people were off subject. We are supposed to be talking about the monthly gathering not fighting over whether to send out a newsletter (or an update) or not.    
This conversation did not happen, the gun that I have in my hand is not real and the Presidents book does not exist.

Offline acid101

Op2 Bash Each Month
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2007, 02:09:17 PM »
hmm monthly bash sounds good to me ;p

Offline Quantum

Op2 Bash Each Month
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2007, 09:30:06 AM »
ok so it is every month?  :unsure:  
This conversation did not happen, the gun that I have in my hand is not real and the Presidents book does not exist.

Offline Leviathan

Op2 Bash Each Month
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2008, 03:14:45 PM »
Anyone still intrested in this idea??

Offline Sirbomber

Op2 Bash Each Month
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2008, 04:53:47 PM »
No.
Way to necro, Lev.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline Savant 231-A

• https://www.outpost2.net
Op2 Bash Each Month
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2008, 12:01:40 AM »
No.
Way to necro, Lev.
Maybe you are not interested, but others may be.
Gordon Freeman, and mr. Crowbar would own Master Chief in any part of the day.
"Come here citizen."

"From the ashes of the collapse we seek to build a better world for all."

Offline acid101

Op2 Bash Each Month
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2008, 07:31:39 PM »
Just a solid NO Sirbomber? lol this is a pretty good idea in itself IF  we can actually get the news out to people and set things up , not just sit here and keep asking around Easier said then done eh?

Offline Sirbomber

Op2 Bash Each Month
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2008, 09:05:33 PM »
Not a "solid no" as I've stated my reasons before in previous posts. There is no need to reiterate my reasoning.