Author Topic: Master Introduction Thread  (Read 117882 times)

Offline Arcalane

Master Introduction Thread
« Reply #100 on: November 25, 2007, 05:54:12 AM »
Let's see... my first taste of outpost was Outpost 1. I still play it now and again as it co-operates with my PC, mostly. When I first tried the Outpost 2 demo, I found it lacking, as it barely gave any instruction as to how to complete the demo mission (evacuating an Eden or Plymouth colony prior to a volcanic eruption) and little explanation of the gameplay mechanics. It wasn't until I was attempting to reinstall Lords of the Realm 2 that I saw an advert for Outpost 2 on the back of the Siege Pack's manual. I had heard decent things of it from another contact, and with my curiousity and sense of adventure on the move, decided to check OP2 out for the hell of it. I found OPU by sheer luck - though the link I followed was broken, I was not one to give up easily, and made my way to the main page, and then went after Outpost 2.

At first, without the manual or wiki to aid me, I found things... quite tough, actually. But I persisted. Eventually, over the scheme of the first few Plymouth campaign missions, a few Colony Games and a quarter-dozen Space Race skirmishes with a close friend, I picked up all the necessary mechanics and know-how to make the game (and my colonies) work relatively smoothly. I admit I still don't know the ins and outs of the tech tree, and I've only been playing for... two or three days, tops, but I managed to learn it quickly.

My plans here? Kick the wiki into gear and get it organized. It's a terrible mess and many pages are just blank and imageless. Maybe try my hand at some online games (I do not play very aggressively, so not exactly suited for Last One Standing) and/or map making.

I'm from the UK, and live in Cambridge. I prefer using Hamachi to play online as my router and firewall are a touch finicky.

'nuff said.

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #101 on: November 25, 2007, 08:04:34 AM »
Talk to Lev, he's the only one who really cares about the Wiki.
Nice to see you though. Come on...
On, you're already on IRC. Never mind.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Arcalane

« Reply #102 on: November 25, 2007, 08:18:25 AM »
On, you're already on IRC. Never mind.
IRC addict. I'm usually on at least three networks at any given time. ;)

Offline kellerin

« Reply #103 on: February 18, 2008, 02:47:46 PM »
Greetings guys.

Name is Tim, from Seattle, WA area. Born September '86

My uncle, who happens to be a mechanical engineer for Aerospace introduced me to Outpost a while back. Enjoyed it but I had gotten used to RTS by that time, so the turn-based was a little difficult to grasp. Outpost 2 obviously made that change and I enjoyed for years until I lost the CD.

I'm glad this site exists.

I'm a Computer Science/Computer Engineering major in school, so while I'm not super familiar with any particaular lanugage at this point, I am pretty interested in dev (wiki or OP 3). Looked into working with the Homeworld community as well, but haven't been able to work around school/the rest of my life.

Offline werx

« Reply #104 on: July 08, 2008, 02:38:05 PM »
Hello, My name is Steven, I own Outpost1.5 on CD and recently dug it out of the file cabinet and reinstalled it on my laptop.  The first attempt was failure, but then I tried to reload and avoided the system test, and low and behold I ended up with a sucessful download on Windows XP.  Everything runs wonderful, and it has always been one of my fav's.  I would like to expand it beyond the limited old CD.  So I am only hoping to maybe pray that can happen here.  I live in the northestern lower peninsula of Michigan on the Lake Huron shoreline.  I work nights at a Hotel and have been there for 29 years....  (kind of lets you know my age somewhat.)  This is my first forum that I've signed onto, so I may need help getting familiar with this.  

Offline fwhitfield

« Reply #105 on: August 17, 2008, 02:08:34 PM »
Hi all,

Name is Franklin, Resident of Cincinnati OHIO....USA

Been playing OP2 for some time now (5+ yrs)

I play a decent game of OP2, beat the missions and now only play Colony games.

I am currently looking for a group to play multiplayer since i have broadband.

I use the map tool to edit my fav map and just use it to try out different strategies.

If you want to play a game please give me a ring on MSN IM.

MSN IM - f.whitfield@hotmail.com

Able to play anytime after 7pm EST

Thanks

Btw havnt gotten the IRC yet but will have it up in a bit.

Offline gloryhound

« Reply #106 on: August 28, 2008, 06:40:53 PM »
Well..  I remember when OP1 was released, I was enrolled in Electronic Game Design.  I remember the hype and the dissapointment that was so palitable over it's release.  Friend of mine bought it and had trouble running it stable.  Of course he'd pre-ordered it and got essentially the beta version.   Most of the gaming community then promptly delegated Outpost to defunct history.
In recent years I'd been poking around at old games to see old ideas from a fresh perspective.  To see that a community of Outpost fans actually existed was a bit of a surprise.  I'm interested to give Outpost a second chance.  Hope I can get it working on WinXP  I don't seem to be having the success that others here have enjoyed.

Anyway..  I'm quite a bit older that the rest of ya.   Reside in Canada, Male, Married.  EX Game Designer.

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #107 on: August 29, 2008, 12:48:10 PM »
Um, yeah... We're actually OP2 fans, mostly.  OP1 is like OP2's retarded cousin that we put up with because OP2 is so ownage.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #108 on: October 11, 2008, 09:48:01 PM »
Come on IRC for multiplayer sometime.

Offline fighter

« Reply #109 on: January 08, 2009, 03:35:44 PM »
name: ryan
favorite games: mechwarrior 2, Outpost 2, Doom.

i got outpost 2 a long time ago. i liked the game, but the disk got broken, and i couldnt play. later a friend told me that the game could be found here. i look forward to seeing some multiplayer games. (tried playing with my brother, but he still likes to see all his vehicles explode at the press of a button  :find: )
There are people who want to be treated as idiots. I've dedicated all my life to fulfill their wish.

Offline Simpsonboy77

« Reply #110 on: February 10, 2009, 08:19:08 PM »
name: Garrett
favorite games: outpost 2, starcraft ,diablo 2, the sims 1.

I was cleaning out my computer room when I found my outpost 1 and 2 discs and most of the manuals. I fired them up and found out that multiplayer no longer worked :(. I typed ["outpost 2" multiplayer] into google and hit I'm feeling lucky. This site popped up so I joined. I remember this game was awesome back in the day and I'm glad some other people still play. I haven't played this in ages so I probably suck, so bear with me.

About me: I'm currently at a college in my state (I'll tell in a game but not in public) majoring in electrical engineering and minoring in computer science. If anyone else knows how to mod or wants to start shoot me a pm. I just turned 19 on February first w00t. I know C/C++, VB, and Java. If anyone can give me a few pointers (hehe pun) on how to start modding and adding to the game I'm really interested so please shoot me a PM.

Is there a place where I could see all the statistics like range, damage, colonist growth rates at different morale levels?
My tutorials
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Offline Spikerocks101

« Reply #111 on: February 10, 2009, 09:19:12 PM »
Well hi. Umm, idk, but if you PM Hooman, he might apply you for a job on the site. The site has some common members, but if you play starcraft and op2, then i think you must hate half yourself :P but yeah, welcome to Outpost Universe.

theres a patched version on the site if you want to play online.
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Duo

« Reply #112 on: April 03, 2009, 03:14:02 PM »
Hiya, I guess you could say that I'm a returning member. I've been around since we were on Killers forum. I use to play outpost 2 around 2001-3ish (Mostly single player never could keep up on the multilayer games).

I'm currently taking CS 162 (Java II) and MTH 252 (Integral Calculus) at Linn Benton Community Collage. I'm trying to get a BA in Computer Science/Mechanical Engineering miner in Business.

I hope to help out around if I can. I know some html, php and I'm working on learning Java. I also do some 3d modeling as a hobby.

Offline Mirage

« Reply #113 on: May 03, 2009, 06:58:57 PM »
Hey guys I'm Charles from NJ, I go to Rowan University and am about to graduate this summer

Outpost 2 was and still is one of my favorite games ever only Sins of the Solar Empire matches what I want to play on the computer.

Offline Spikerocks101

« Reply #114 on: May 03, 2009, 07:50:50 PM »
theres still people around, so hi.
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #115 on: May 03, 2009, 08:08:44 PM »
Hey there.  Have you checked out some of the recent stuff we're working on?
Also, don't post in any Outpost 3 forums.  None of those projects are active anymore.

Offline Spikerocks101

« Reply #116 on: May 03, 2009, 08:34:16 PM »
lies, 1 is (and its ACTUALLY coming along)
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #117 on: May 03, 2009, 08:48:39 PM »
OP3D != OP3

Offline Spikerocks101

« Reply #118 on: May 03, 2009, 09:00:31 PM »
if (op3d != op3) cout << "Shut up!";
else cout << "HAHA!";
return 0;
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Hidiot

« Reply #119 on: May 04, 2009, 05:44:23 AM »
#include <stdio.h>
#define NO=1;

int main (void)
{
while (NO)
        printf ("/facepalm ");
return 0;
}

Just... no.

Welcome Mirage.
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Cwadrupldijjit

« Reply #120 on: May 22, 2009, 02:17:39 PM »
Okay...

I'm Cwadrupldijjit, living in a place where I don't want to indulge such information (I actually wouldn't do it, no matter where I am), etc.

I will say that I go to a high school that focuses on leadership abilities and how to take charge of your own education.  I am on a separate forum where it consists of mainly my high school cohorts.  Let me tell ya, it's absolutely CRAZY.  But we live, somehow.
Don't settle under an active volcano...

Offline Blue raider

« Reply #121 on: May 25, 2009, 07:46:32 PM »
My name is Matthew I'm from Bakersfield California.

I'm 31 years old

My favorite Game are Universe At War: Earth Assault, Warzone 2100 Earth 2160
and Outpost 2.

My favorite manga is Blame and battle angel alita

Favorite anime is Innocent Venus , Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 And Bubblegum crisis 2032

Offline Cwadrupldijjit

« Reply #122 on: May 28, 2009, 09:18:22 AM »
Howdy!

Offline Spikerocks101

« Reply #123 on: May 28, 2009, 11:17:55 AM »
hi to both, and ever played the older one, Empire at War?
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Cwadrupldijjit

« Reply #124 on: June 02, 2009, 10:09:18 AM »
Zzzzz...