Author Topic: Filthy Cheating Rebels  (Read 5569 times)

Offline Flameoftheabyss

Filthy Cheating Rebels
« on: May 26, 2007, 01:38:49 PM »
Based on my observations, I believe the rebels do cheat, and that they cheat a lot.
I was just wondering in how many ways do they cheat, and would like input from the community. :)

So far, this is what i've observed:

1. Rebels don't need a Mine to have enough resources.
Rebels either don't have to pay for building construction and maintenance, or they are given a lot of resources to play around with.

2. Rebels can land their Cargo and Colonists in the Turn 001, without having to wait for their Command Center to be operational.
I suspect they can even start operating their buildings even without an active Command Center, but I can't prove that.

3. Rebels have access to quite a bit of technology from the beginning of the game.
I find it ridiculous to see their Hot Labs appearing so early, without UG Labs being operational to research AI.

4. I've never seen a Rebel Hot Lab or Tokamak explode. Is this just coincidence?

I suspect (but haven't confirmed):

1. Rebels can build through impassable terrain. Didn't confirm this yet though.

2. Rebels do not have their own Morale levels. Can anyone confirm?

Anyone have anything else to add/correct?

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Filthy Cheating Rebels
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 01:50:52 PM »
It's 'cause they're rebels.

Offline Sirbomber

Filthy Cheating Rebels
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 03:20:28 PM »
Rebels don't need tubes to build.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Falciform

Filthy Cheating Rebels
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 06:07:52 PM »
I think the rebels can build through impassable terrain, too.

Their hot labs and tokamaks never explode.  They always build them right in the middle of their other buildings.  Plus, they have their original tokamak forever.

They get nanotech REALLY fast.  With only one hot lab.

They must have morale problems because their underground is full of commercial and red light districts.

And, yes, the rebels usually only have one mine.  Three turns later they have nanotech. ;)

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Filthy Cheating Rebels
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 06:29:28 PM »
Apparently, all your good colonists defect to form the rebel colony. Only the idiots get left behind. Because the people hate you Commander.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 06:29:54 PM by Arklon »

Offline Flameoftheabyss

Filthy Cheating Rebels
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 10:39:02 AM »
And, yes, the rebels usually only have one mine.  Three turns later they have nanotech. ;)
Nevertheless, they do not have any Nanotech Facility to make use of their Nanotechnology research.

Even so, in my games, they have 0 mines, because they tend to build their colony in the middle of impassable terrain, but can still somehow build on top of such terrain without any issues.

Another interesting thing is that in one of my games, most of their underground structures were NOT connected by anything!

They must have morale problems because their underground is full of commercial and red light districts
Well I don't think they actually have a morale level, except that it would probably be an inverse of your current morale levels. I think they just build it for no good reason. :P

Apparently, all your good colonists defect to form the rebel colony. Only the idiots get left behind. Because the people hate you Commander.

Good conclusion! I find it irrefutable. :)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 10:43:08 AM by Flameoftheabyss »

Offline Sirbomber

Filthy Cheating Rebels
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 10:58:17 AM »
I think the rebels can build through impassable terrain, too.
Well, so can I.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline Flameoftheabyss

Filthy Cheating Rebels
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 11:07:56 AM »
Don't we have to sacrifice a RoboDigger for that?
I never tried it though, because I never needed to.

I know I can't just build on Impassable Terrain, nor can I bulldoze them.

Offline Sirbomber

Filthy Cheating Rebels
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 11:32:43 AM »
You strap 50 tons of C4 to a Retired Colonist and have him stand on some impassible terrain for a few minutes.  ;)  

Offline Flameoftheabyss

Filthy Cheating Rebels
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2007, 10:05:55 AM »
... Well... How come I can't do that when those same rebels defect to my colony? :P

Offline zanco

Filthy Cheating Rebels
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2007, 10:01:09 PM »
Cheap A.I. design?
Lack of skills in programming?
Laziness of programmers?

lol, don't blame the AI.
if anyone finds and communicate to us that which thus far has eluded our efforts, great will be our gratitude.
          Jakob Bernouilli

"Zanco`, n00b o' The Flares"

Offline Sirbomber

Filthy Cheating Rebels
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2007, 10:51:45 AM »
Cheap A.I. design?
Lack of skills in programming?
Laziness of programmers?

lol, don't blame the AI.
Blame the higher-ups for making them rush the game.

Offline Psudomorph

Filthy Cheating Rebels
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2007, 06:42:53 AM »
One thing I wonder is to what extent the enemy in OP1/1.5 is preprogrammed. To me at least, their colony has always looked pretty much the same from one game to another (Or at least it starts out the same, maybe it would develop differently if they ever survived beyond a few hundred turns).
I wonder if they actually respond to their environment in any way, or if they are just programmed to build certain structures in a certain order.