1 (1.8%)
Probably not...
1 (1.8%)
No. Don't even bother.
0 (0%)
What's OP1? Is it edible?
4 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: OP1 Remake?  (Read 23546 times)

Offline Brazilian Fan

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2007, 11:49:26 AM »
OP2 is more like SimCity with some combat  :P  

Offline chris2222

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2007, 09:26:38 PM »
You're right, Outpost 2 and Diablo have nothing in common.  

I would like to see Outpost 1 remade however.  Have you checked out the animation on youtube of the new Mars Rover being made by Canada in joint partnership with the European Space Agency?  A very cool animation.  It would be neat to see some of those animations in Outpost.  

Imagine combining the free open source Orbiter Space simulator program with Outpost.  Flying spacecraft to land on other planets to colonize in real and accelerated time would give an added sense of realism.  Starting right from lifting off from earth in a spaceship chosen by you, and you fly it.  You have to get to orbit and get to another star system/planet on your own, we can drive our own rovers over the planets.  Maybe we should call it Oupost simulator.  

Offline Psudomorph

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2007, 09:38:13 PM »
OP2 is more like SimCity with some combat  :P
Don't I wish. Compared to Sim City, the city-building aspect of OP2 seems relatively stripped-down and simplified.

That's what I would really want to see from and OP1 remake, something where the colony-building aspect is complex enough to be a challenge in and of itself, and where the game can conceivably be just as hard without combat as with.

Offline Humility

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2007, 09:04:47 AM »
Just get everything in there that was supposed to be in there and then lets see what outpost 1 is like complete.Then try the remake.
Pride was the fall of man and angel alike only by humility may we be saved.

Offline Sirbomber

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2007, 09:08:58 AM »
We don't know how to change OP1. Nobody's bothered trying to figure it out.
And you'll notice I never said we should do this. I was just asking how people would feel about it. If somebody wants to do a remake, that's great I guess, because it's obviously something people want.
I'd only want it so I can shoot at the rebels with my mass driver.  :P
If it was multiplayer I wouldn't mind shooting at a few other people.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 09:10:46 AM by Sirbomber »
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Humility

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2007, 09:28:21 AM »
in one of game informers recent magazines they described the conflict between publishers and developers.No where in the gaming world is there a loss as great as the loss of a complete op1 caused by a rushed release date by publishers.but for this we may be thankful if op1 had been complete it most assurdly would have been a runaway success and op2 as we know would never have happened.
Pride was the fall of man and angel alike only by humility may we be saved.

Offline sojuro

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2007, 09:34:36 PM »
Well this is cool to see others that are interested in a remake of OP1. I was such an addict to this game that playing for 2 days straight was not uncommon, nor being late for work  :D .

About a year ago I started playing again and got a reminder to why I decided to go to college for programming. So I decided that I was gonna try and make it myself creating in the original format with some updating. The only prob was all I thought I had to work from was the game itself but then I remembered I still had the original strategy guide produced by Sierra Online  (thumbsup) . This was an awesome find cause they give you sooo much info on the game's design including how they did the moral. About the only thing they didn't supply in it was the original code :'( .  

So far I have started coding the moral since that's given in the book and the easiest to decipher from the book. The book gives so much info you can get overloaded and is hard to break things up into groups and focus on one part of the coding. The book even goes into some detail into the 3 expansions that were planned.

Here's a list of what resources I have access to via the book:
What the buildings' inputs/outputs are
Research trees
Planet descriptions
Solar system layouts
Formulas and variables(this is were the moral stuff is and how everything effects each other)
Robots, Vehicles
Oh my

But like I said earlier, the only thing they don't provide is the original source code.

If anyone wants some info or wants to give me a hand that would be cool, just let me know.

How I wanted to do this was pretty much how it was done originally but full screen tiling (IE Civ 2), putting in what was never added, fixing what was broken, updating the graphics, and doing what was never done like the planned expansions. And this is a lot for 1 person to do especially on a limited knowledge of game programming.  

Offline Sirbomber

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2007, 09:54:15 PM »
Wow... All this enthusiasm from a simple poll.
I guess I'm kinda responsible for all this, so I might as well offer whatever support I can.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline White Claw

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2007, 06:58:10 PM »
:) I think it's a great idea. I've been dying to get started and I've been trying to learn visual programming. But it's been painfully slow and I've run out of summer to work on it. Plus I was stupid and got involved with MMORPGs.

Anyhow, I don't think re-inventing the wheel is required. If you (whoever it might be) want's to start on an OP1 remake, start out using the existing graphics and such. Just leave the graphic engine open ended so that you can plug in new graphics if you get the chance. Work on the game engine and the mechanics. That's the stuff that makes a game great anyway.

Unless you're a graphic artist and can spend all your time making graphics, people will always complain about those anyway. It takes a lot of time and patience in either case (graphics or gameplay).  :) You can still have a game with cruddy graphics, but it's hard to have a game with graphics and no code.

Offline White Claw

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2007, 09:10:11 PM »
And what happened to Druid65? I was unable to get into his frail moon wiki site. Was anyone able to look at his work?

Offline AI_v3.2

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2007, 11:07:18 PM »
im sorry for what im about to say and i know im prolly gonna get ragged on for this but really when it came down to outpost 1 or 1.5 i could stand it for about 20 mins then it would go back into my box of junk for about another year lol. turn based games drive me insane.
One look in her lusting eyes savage fear in you will rise teeth of terror sinking in the bite of the she-wolf

Offline Sirbomber

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2007, 05:09:41 AM »
Why would we get mad at you? More than half of the people here hate OP1.
And if you don't like turn-based games, who said you had to play it?
I'm still stuck between "this was just a poll" and "let's do it" because we have enough fan-made games that have failed (and I'm a realist when it comes to this stuff), but I do like using the Mass Driver on the Rebels...
Decisions, decisions...

Offline Flameoftheabyss

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2007, 02:43:48 PM »
AI v3.2, if you hate turn-based games so much, why did you buy OP1? ...

Offline druid65

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2007, 04:02:41 AM »
And what happened to Druid65? I was unable to get into his frail moon wiki site. Was anyone able to look at his work?
Sorry, the wiki crashed, I'm working with the hosts to get it fixed right now.  I'll let you know as soon as I get it back up.

General Info:

I'm using the Linux version of Sim City's engine for a base (it does run on all 3 platforms)

I'm using some variable sized buildings in the game (factories are rarely the same size as police stations, although for a first pass I'm sticking with that story).

I'm still using the underground approach (seems natural).

I'm always looking for more suggestions as well.

Druid65

Offline modius

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2008, 04:23:04 PM »
Amazing idea.  wish i could be of more help.... i'm a tech nub.  For a game made in '94 to still generate a buzz like this truly speaks to its uberness.  

Offline pbhead

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2008, 08:52:53 AM »
A new/better/completed(with planned expansions that never got made?) OP1 would be epic.  

Offline Leviathan

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2008, 06:03:36 AM »
Yeah It was Leeor and it was called Outpost: MIA. He even made a website for it.

Offline docwho83

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2008, 10:06:24 AM »
I would love to see a remake using all the outpost one setting. Would like to just hack open the code for outpost one to make come changes to it. I am not a programmar or I would be already trying to pull the code into something.

Would pay to have it in my hands.

Willing to learn programming but not sure where to start.

Thanks,
Docwho

Offline Savant 231-A

• https://www.outpost2.net
OP1 Remake?
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2008, 04:28:27 PM »
the last post was... over a year ago.
Gordon Freeman, and mr. Crowbar would own Master Chief in any part of the day.
"Come here citizen."

"From the ashes of the collapse we seek to build a better world for all."

Offline fallenleader

• http://www.fallenangelsclan.com
OP1 Remake?
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2008, 11:04:45 PM »
(thumbsup) well good, wake the project the hell up! :D  

Offline Sirbomber

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2008, 04:11:30 PM »
What project? I don't recall any work being done on this. It was purely hypothetical. Though my love of owning Rebels with Mass Drivers did almost pull it out of hypothetical land. But then I realized OP1 sucks.

Offline fallenleader

• http://www.fallenangelsclan.com
OP1 Remake?
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2008, 01:20:02 AM »
oh well...

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
OP1 Remake?
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2008, 10:57:59 AM »
I'd like to see OP1 remade to include stuff that was left out, maybe some new planets added (I think we've discovered a few more since then)
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Sirbomber

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2008, 08:50:29 PM »
I'd like to see some of those Earth like worlds, which could have their own benefits and problems associated with more hostile worlds (tides/storms/flooding, have to be careful not to over-pollute, etc.) and nukes/working Mass Driver.

But no aliens, even though they were planned for an expansion.  Aliens are boring and gimmicky.

But it's not gonna happen because OP1 is so unpopular nobody in their right mind would ever remake it.  Unless they made it a "spam Mass Drivers and rape your enemies (and the planet in the process)" type of thing, which could be kinda fun!  Bonus points if you can get a Mass Driver up in time to shoot down the orbiting starship in a manner that causes it to crash into your enemies!

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
OP1 Remake?
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2008, 12:27:28 PM »
All I have to say in reply to that is:

CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names