1 (1.8%)
Probably not...
1 (1.8%)
No. Don't even bother.
0 (0%)
What's OP1? Is it edible?
4 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: OP1 Remake?  (Read 23544 times)

Offline Sirbomber

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2008, 12:57:15 PM »
My signature is ownage, isn't it?
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline croxis

• http://croxis.net
OP1 Remake?
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2009, 02:33:22 PM »
David - Proud to be saving the universe sense 1984
Open Outpost developer.  Project Page | Forum Thread

Offline Sirbomber

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2009, 02:59:06 PM »
I'm not exactly sure what that is supposed to be...
It looks like filler space for something that may or may not even be in development?
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline fallenleader

• http://www.fallenangelsclan.com
OP1 Remake?
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2009, 03:34:26 PM »
"WARNING!: this forumite speaks his mind; it is often interpreted as rudeness; I accept no responsibility for anyone allowing themselves to become offended by what I say"

why doesn't he get yelled at for being me? i do.

is this open outpost an active project?

Offline Sirbomber

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2009, 03:53:13 PM »
"WARNING!: this forumite speaks his mind; it is often interpreted as rudeness; I accept no responsibility for anyone allowing themselves to become offended by what I say"

why doesn't he get yelled at for being me? i do.
Because:

1) CK9 is member number 7, meaning he gets more respect than you.
2) CK9 is a GM, meaning he owns you in every way possible.

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
OP1 Remake?
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2009, 04:30:21 PM »
I'm not exactly sure what that is supposed to be...
It looks like filler space for something that may or may not even be in development?
Try checking the name of who posted it and the name of who the page says maintains the project? :P

Offline Sirbomber

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2009, 07:10:43 PM »
Try checking the name of who posted it and the name of who the page says maintains the project? :P
What does that have to do with anything?

Offline Spikerocks101

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2009, 12:01:39 AM »
I am also working on a outpost prodject (no 3d, sorry sirbomber) and that makes 2 + mine if i get around to finishing it projects at the moment... apples?
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline [MM]

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2009, 05:26:36 PM »
Hi, when I was a kid I loved this game (just colony building and no war) but I somehow lost the CD and so I was very happy that I found this website a few days ago.

Back to topic: A while ago I wrote a remake of "Mechanized Assault and Exploration" (or M.A.X.) from Interplay (here are some screenshots if you are interested http://www.mmcoding.eu/en_Various_Games.html). And since I have some free time lately I was searching for a new project. A remake of Outpost 1 sounds very interesting to me. But before I begin my little project I was wondering if I could simply use the graphics and sounds from the original game (I'm very good with code but not so much with graphics and stuff). Does anyone know something about the legal status of the game? How were you able to offer the iso-image as free download?

Greetings,
mm

Offline Sirbomber

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2009, 05:35:10 PM »
Someone's already working on it.

Offline [MM]

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2009, 06:02:24 PM »
Someone's already working on it.
I figured that much (after all, I read this thread  ;) ). But I'd like to start a project of my own. And so I was wondering what the legal status of the original artwork is. As far as I have seen "Open Outpost" uses at least the image of the eco dome.
If I were to begin with a new project of my own I would like to use the original graphics because I like their style.

Offline croxis

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2009, 08:16:09 PM »
Hey MM.  I am not positive on the legal status of the origional assets either.  I'm following the same policy as the Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe crew which provide the game code, but it is up to the end user to supply the legacy assets. Both TTD and Outpost art are probably still under copyright (which last for 70ish years IIRC).  I wrote a simple sprite generate where all I need to do is supply the top left pixel coordinate of the image and the file name in the structure config file, and tada there is the structure in game.  Eventually I'm going to have all origional 3D art assets, but still keep the legacy art code in for people who want it.

My project is open source for a couple reasons, one of which is I have no desire to make Open Outpost alone.  I would love to have additional people working on it with me.  It would give me an opportunity to learn to code better and with more style too.  But I also understand wanting to do your own thing, just letting you know the invention is there.  :)

Offline [MM]

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2009, 08:37:45 AM »
Thanks for the info. I guess it is the best practice to demand that the user has the original game data.

I was just curious if the game had gone public domain or something because of the free download on this site.

Offline Sirbomber

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2009, 09:01:30 AM »
Sierra no longer exists and therefore can't pursue legal action against us.

May I point out that it would be a titanic waste of time and effort to have two people making separate OP1 remakes at the same time?

Offline croxis

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2009, 12:04:34 PM »
Sierra may not exist, but their IPs are now owned by Activision Blizzard, and they can pursue legal action if they choose.  Similar case to OpenTTD, the origional game was made by now defunct Microprose but all assets and IP are now owned by Atari.

Got to love US laws.

Offline Sirbomber

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2009, 02:19:10 PM »
Which could be a problem if those companies were actually aware the Outpost series existed.

Offline Spikerocks101

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2009, 09:53:28 PM »
Atari is one messed up company, didn't the CEO get kicked out and replaced like 3 times last year. I don't think any one in there company still knows what they own. If they were to find out about Outpost, it would be like a fat guy on the couch, and one day, he look under the cussin and finds a nickle. They probably won't even care about it. But if they were to persue "drastic" messures, they are known for making people pay for nothing, like the case in november or something. Thou I don't follow it that much, so I could easily be wrong.
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Charles_Bronson

OP1 Remake?
« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2009, 02:05:05 PM »
For that question, someone might ask old HOTU (home of the underdogs) owner, an abandonware site.

If I remember, he don't have any sierra games for download (sierra asked him to remove them).