Author Topic: Mass Locking Of Topic  (Read 3915 times)

Offline omagaalpha

Mass Locking Of Topic
« on: March 06, 2007, 05:35:12 PM »
Ok this bug me lot for when start look in all forums it seem someone decided to do mass locking of topic.  
My problem is why do need to lock so many topic out there, it seem unneeded thing to do?
To me see did with no reason except because getting too old which why do lock them for they still not get response anyway?  Only reason see why you need lock is if topic is get place people no longer talk about what topic is for.
It annoying heck me to see so many lock up.

Could you enlight me why you guys thought this was needed or at least what rules are to have for locking a topic up?
Sorry if my grammar and spelling is bad, but I have disablity with it.
Yes, English is the first and only language that I know.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Mass Locking Of Topic
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 09:04:44 PM »
you want them all unlocked?

Offline omagaalpha

Mass Locking Of Topic
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 06:38:31 AM »
Want know what drove you guys to think need to lock all those topic to what it seems for no reason at all.

Seem to me that by do that cut off possibility if somone come idea help idea improve or add vaulable to the descussion, or come up with a problem by use code that in lock topic can't just post about it in that thread.

Basically want know what drove you guys do measure that to me seem unjustifyable to do at all in the forums.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 06:43:17 AM by omagaalpha »

Offline Mez

Mass Locking Of Topic
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 06:55:24 AM »
I go through and lock old topics for a reason!

Because they are old!

Topics that have had no reply for 3 months get locked.

If you feel that there is something worth adding to a topic, then start a new one, and provide the link to the old one.

If we feel that it is worth reopening the old topic and combining the new posts with it then we will.

Often it is better to leave it as a separate topic.

The reason for locking old topics is to stop people who browse the old topics from leaving stupid non sensual replies, which don't have any relevance anymore (As I said above if you have something you feel it worth adding open a new one and link to it.)

This helps with the moderation of the boards and for archiving at a later date.

Yes I know ordinary members still can't view the archive, but thats a separate issues and if you want to view the archive you need to bug hacker until it gets done (As he is the only one who can, or maybe Leviathan as well, not sure if he knows how to though.  And Galactic, but He leaves our database alone.)

P.S. Thank you for reminding me to check for old topics again, haven't done it in 2 months

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Mass Locking Of Topic
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 08:17:35 AM »
Yes it was getting insane having people bringing up topics that were started years ago about subjects that were long dead, involving people that have long since left the community. This is called necro. It was irritating having a New Posts list full of moot topics. Locking and archiving them effectively makes them read only, a good reference but nothing that can become active again.

Like Mez said if you need the topic for something, create a new thread and link to it. If you feel its important enough to unlock, talk to one of us - but it is unlikely anything will be opened back up.

Also my thanks goes out to Mez for getting on top of the old topic situation. Great job!

Offline Savant 231-A

• https://www.outpost2.net
Mass Locking Of Topic
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 11:00:18 AM »
Why do you all mind having old topics (real, real, real) opened?
Are they doing some harm?
Gordon Freeman, and mr. Crowbar would own Master Chief in any part of the day.
"Come here citizen."

"From the ashes of the collapse we seek to build a better world for all."

Offline Leviathan

Mass Locking Of Topic
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 12:48:55 PM »
Yes I know ordinary members still can't view the archive, but thats a separate issues and if you want to view the archive you need to bug hacker until it gets done (As he is the only one who can, or maybe Leviathan as well, not sure if he knows how to though.  And Galactic, but He leaves our database alone.)
All members should be able to view the archive imo.

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Mass Locking Of Topic
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 12:57:50 PM »
Since you are not an admin you dont know the amount of upkeep and management it takes to maintain ACTIVE (keyword there) forum topics that go back 3, 4, or 5 years.

Our main argument is why would you want to open an old topic that has been dead for a long time, has run its course and is done and may have pages and pages of replies? Just start a new, fresh, clean thread discussing only the points of the topic you need to talk about. Otherwise people would have to read the entire old thread and all replies to know what youre talking about. Its just a hassle for all parties involved.

Think of it like having a discussion in the middle of a cafe with a group of strangers and then coming back to the same place years later and picking up the convo mid-sentance even though nobody around you was there or knows what youre talking about. If you happen to be discussion a long-winded thread with 2 or more pages, it creates alot of reading material for people.

Make it easy for everyone in the community and keep the forums clean by linking to old threads or starting a new one.

The issue about people not being able to view the archive is something hacker is working on. By default IPB hides archives from regular users, but it is not our desire to do so.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 01:00:41 PM by dm-horus »

Offline omagaalpha

Mass Locking Of Topic
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 01:46:24 PM »
Forum lock topics it seem that 1 months is the cutoff date from last replies when you lock it, that seem kind of short to me but that just what I think like 3 months seem better cut off.

Assume in time that all lock will be move into archives so they do not such eye full of lock topics then?

To me that does not look like good reputation for mod and admins to have is forums full lock topics.

At least like to have topic lock for it be known reason.  Which require add option to put when lock topic to which reason it been lock.
So old one it would say if some people have constructive they feel need be said to start a new one.
For those go too off topic it would say this topic got out of control.
Etc.
(seen script that put person to lock name of mod or admin that doing it at end topic automatically for invisionfree board. )

Offline White Claw

Mass Locking Of Topic
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 05:42:10 PM »
...stop people who browse the old topics from leaving stupid non sensual replies...

Sensual topics? I thought those were against the forum rules?  :P  

Offline Chandler

Mass Locking Of Topic
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 08:11:43 PM »
Maybe Mez should change his title from "The n00b crusher" to "Forum Anti-Necromancer"
Chandler

Offline White Claw

Mass Locking Of Topic
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2007, 08:37:38 PM »
They're still admins. They can do what they want in terms of management. If you think a topic is worthing of not being locked, then it needs to get posted in more often.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 08:38:14 PM by White Claw »

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Mass Locking Of Topic
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2007, 01:22:57 AM »
Well let me just say this we thought we would help out the genesis team with there section but if you all think we are doing such a bad bad job we can hand it over to them and not do any admin work in there section again.  What say you?

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Mass Locking Of Topic
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2007, 05:07:58 AM »
The topics are locked for a reason. we are working on making it SAFELY accessible for everyone but we have priorities and this is not high up on the list. Mez was careful to lock and archive topics that were obviously long dead. Hacker is working on fixing the forum so anyone can safely view the archive (in terms of security) and Mez is the one behind the locking and archiving. We are all in agreement that he is doing a great job and the work he has done has made forum operation much smoother. This is a regular part of administering a forum so this should come as no surprise. It will be happening in the future.

Since you obviously know the topic you want to discuss, why not just start a new thread? Nobody is being kept from any information but as admins we have other things that demand our attention. We are working on it and we will let you know when we have any development on the issue.

... and about genesis, I honestly wonder how much longer they can keep their forums without keeping up on their responsibilities. there are certain priorities required in order to keep their little section of the forum.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 05:17:59 AM by dm-horus »

Offline omagaalpha

Mass Locking Of Topic
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2007, 07:23:56 AM »
Well done good job explained why but  think what you doing it might cause less to people comes forums and member to want be active by have so many lock topics. It give some people fell why do post if going lock my topic anyway.
 Your approach to this very unique because all years see forums no admin and mods ever gone to extreme of locking topics just protect incase some newbie post useless reply to topic.

If topic were not lock it be actual less work then by lock all topic to stop it. Not mention contribute more to idea in gennis forum that after long period seem better. So has new topic which now created 2 posts for same thing and now after done mod yet lock topic again. Kindly seem like process could add lot more work for you guys.

Some topic like that year old or more and no relvence now could be deleted and no one would care about which then should be deleted.

I feel that by doing this you cause lot more harm outpost forums then good that what first thought so mass locking of topic.

If think want stat tell me that this forums made no different in term number post be created and people joining forums before start this and afterword. Otherwise it just my feeling about this against yours.  All big decision made you must always evaluate effects by doing it to see if really helping or hindering the forums

Offline White Claw

Mass Locking Of Topic
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2007, 08:03:33 AM »
So you'd rather see a topic deleted than locked?

I agree that dredging up a topic that has been dead for a year just makes it painful. You're better off leaving that topic archived (which is done right now by locking) and posting a new thread. That way, all of the fresh ideas you're talking about get posted instead of reading through the old thread. The old thread would tend to sway the topic right off the bat.

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Mass Locking Of Topic
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2007, 08:10:59 AM »
Every forum I have ever been a part of has simply deleted threads older than 2 years. RDN (Relic Developers Network), which contained massive amounts of valuable data on LUA file systems, coding, game engines and content was simply "reset" losing all data. Considering the value of such information and how most other forums treat old threads, I would say locking and archiving is substantially better than what we *could* be doing. Not to say that OPU does not have data worth saving, but precisely the opposite. We have archived it so that users may determine what is worth using. The threads will be viewable (once the IPB issues are resolved) and will be usable as a reference. JUST LINK TO THE OLD THREAD. Its an archive, thats what happens to old data -- it becomes archived lol.

This is a natural process that occurs in all forums everywhere (at least the ones that are managed well) and if we are an active community this will happen on a regular basis. It will not affect how people view this forum or what new users will think since (again) all the old threads will still be viewable and useful. The rate at which new threads are added will quickly bury any evidence of an "empty" forum when archiving rounds come. However, the first archiving was something that should have been done a long time ago and much accumulation was locked and archived. Since Mez is going a good job in this regard, old threads will be archived as they age meaning large groups of threads wont simply disappear as they did this last time around. They will be stored in the archive one at a time and each will be taken on a case by case basis. I trust Mez's judgment in this matter.

I understand your concerns, omagaalpha but this is a necessary function of maintaining an active forum and it will be a regular happening from now on. This is nothing to cause concern as the threads will not be lost to anyone. This will in fact help OPU by allowing users to create new, fresh threads with greater focus by having the benefit of the archive as a reference. I believe in time this will be a resource you will make good use of. Pruning the old threads will create room for fresh ideas to surface.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 08:15:08 AM by dm-horus »

Offline Mez

Mass Locking Of Topic
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2007, 10:54:41 AM »
I lock topics that have had no reply for around 2-3 months, depending on the topic.

Topics that have been closed before that will have been done for another reason. either if the discussion is over, or a mod decides that locking the topic is necessary e.g. spam.

Genesis topics get's locked fairly more frequently due to most of it being an ideas forum, the game makers or mod's will close topics that have had the idea posted and then talked about and the discussion seems to have finished. Mainly to make it easier for the game makers to process all the information available.

All old topics will be locked

If you don't want your topic locked, don't start a topic, which would be really unfortunate if you have something to discus!

Topics older than about 8 months usually end up in the archive depending on which section they come from etc.  I don't read every post in the thread I read the title, then lock the topics.

I don't distinguish between content in threads, if its more than 3 months old it gets locked, if its more than 2 months old and the title doesn't hint at anything important (sometimes I check these) I lock it.

If the topic is pinned I tend to leave them open.

Theres my process for locking topics.

Once the archive section has been sorted then posts will get moved into it.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Mass Locking Of Topic
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2007, 11:50:05 AM »
If a topic is locked, there is more than likey a good reson for it.  If another mod doesn't see the reson, they will ask the locking mod why they did it and act based on weter it made sense to do or not
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Mez

Mass Locking Of Topic
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2007, 07:41:52 PM »
I think, just for irony sake, you should lock this topic since a poll was started.  :P
Erm....Okay.

Since I started the poll as you obviously noticed... I fail to realise the Irony in your suggestion