Author Topic: Geforce 8  (Read 6044 times)

Offline Oprime

• http://Moogleforest.net
Geforce 8
« on: November 12, 2006, 10:12:13 PM »
I was reading up on this new graphics card and I notice them mention that this new vid card has the potiential to support 3 card SLI. WIth 6 GPU cores doesn't this open up Hexa Sli 0o? Got Damn You guys think its getting a little nutz?
CPU: AMD Phenom II 940BE
RAM: Patriot Viper 4GB (2GB x2) DDR2 1066Mhz
Motherboard: MSI K9A2 Platinum
Case: Thermaltake Armor Plus+
Power Supply: Themermatake ToughPower 1200Watt PSU
Hard Drive: Fujitsu 15k SAS SCSI 74GB/148GB Raid 0 @ 189MBps
Moniter: LG Flatron 20.1in Widescreen LCD 8ms 1400:1 Contrast ratio w/ F engine
GFX Card: 4 ATI Radeon 4870 1GB GDDR5 CrossFireX
DVD Burners: 2x SONY DVD-RW
Speakers[/b] Logitech Z-5500 505Watt 5.1 Surround
CPU Heatsink[/b]ZeroTerm NV120
OS[/b]Windows Vista Home Premium x64
:P I'm a Hardware freak ><

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Geforce 8
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 12:32:58 AM »
This card was also recalled recently due to a GPU defect. Only problem with this card is that no mobos support 3 card SLI yet.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Geforce 8
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 02:24:37 PM »
Well, at this point in computer technology it's the only realistic way to get faster computing speeds, is to switch to Parallel processing.

That's the reason you are seeing dual-core CPU's as well, it's just not economical (or possible) to do any larger-scale integration than is currently done in computer chips. (at least not without high defect rates).

Basically this means, Moore's Law has reached the ceiling and no longer holds true.

So the answer? use multiple CPU cores (or GPU's in the case of nVidia SLi / ATI Crossfire). No need to really change the manufacturing process that much, just use the existing CPU core design and place more than one on a single chip, or just link multiple chips together in an efficient manner.

So getting a bit nuts? Well, it's just what has to be done if processing units are to be made any more powerful.

Btw, I think in many cases SLi can utilize some sort of connector on the cards themselves (in other words the chipset on the motherboard doesn't need to support SLi itself), at least with special / hacked drivers.. not sure / can't test this though because I don't have any cards that support SLi.

Oh btw, just read on Wikipedia that Gigabyte makes a Quad SLI mobo, the GA-8N SLI Quad Royal. Not sure if it's actually being produced / available for reasonable cost?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 02:27:23 PM by op2hacker »

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Geforce 8
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 03:21:29 PM »
It has the potential for more than 3, actually.

Offline Mez

Geforce 8
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 03:52:16 PM »
You just need to manufactor a board, and perhaps some custom drivers depending on how  you want to use the card cluster.  You might want a custom bus, RAM and CPU cache to support it though.  As well as a more advanced instruction set to utilise the power available.  Your monitor(s) might set you back a few thousand (each) as well

the new Nvidia cards are already more powerful than the PS3's, imagine the power of 6!