Author Topic: Space Elevators  (Read 3424 times)

Offline Skydock Command

Space Elevators
« on: October 09, 2006, 04:39:31 PM »
I think we could have Space Elevators in OP3. They Could be a cheaper, faster, larger RLV and SLV.  
Savant Computer: Communications link established.
Skydock: This is Skydock Command. We have received your message.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Space Elevators
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 05:27:07 PM »
They Could be a cheaper, faster, larger RLV and SLV.
I think on the contrary, it would be very expensive to build one.

Building a structure to go 10+ miles up is not going to be cheap compared with an RLV.

Besides, would they really know how to do that effectively? The game doesn't take place that far in the future.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Space Elevators
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 06:06:16 PM »
agree, they would be to much of a risk for a colony, they would be extremely vulnerable to disasters and weapons fire, and if it fails, a huge section of cable could come slapping down destroying any buildings and vecs in the way

I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Brazilian Fan

Space Elevators
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 06:21:42 PM »
The time beetween the arrival of the Conestoga on New Terra and the planet evacuation would take 150 years (maximum), no time to develop this kind of tecnology in a harsh world (survival is priority). A lot of technology was lost in the Conestoga crash and the quiquly evacuation of the planet. The colonists have suffered (a lot) for build a simple SLV and RLV.

Want more?  :yawn:

To build a kind of elevator that reaches the outer atmosphere (100Km on Earth, I think), the elevator base showld have by 10Km diameter, it showld be made of a very strong and light compound (something like polystirene reinforced with nano carbon tubes, but a lot more light and strong). A lot of power to run the facility and a ultra-fast pressurized elevator with a minimum speed of 1Km/s.

It has a lot of technical difficulties. No nation on Earth has the resorces to build and run such thing, the colonists certanly can't do it either.

Offline Kalshion

Space Elevators
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 07:17:06 PM »
I think the main problem is not really disasters and such, but location.

If you've read books or watched movies, then you would most likely realize that most orbital elevators are located on the equator of the planet. The reason's are:
  • Lack of Disasters, or very very few.
  • Stable Land
  • Stable Climb - meaning that the equator and the area directly above it are in perfect sync, which means that the planet and the station will orbit at the same speed.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Space Elevators
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 08:05:16 PM »
I dont think some people know exactly how tall a space elevator has to be.  Were talking some thing that might have to be 5 miles high.  The materials and the time it would take to make just one is ridiculous.  I know it would be cheaper in the long run But if any thing Multipul lanches is more reliable and cost effective and a hell of a lot faster.

If this thing fell down it would easily take out a whole colony because it would suffer the domino effect and the whole lenth of it would fall.  

Space elevators need to stay in anime and sci fi moives

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Space Elevators
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 08:26:48 PM »
Not to mention that op3 will take place on a very dangerous planet, where just being exposed to the atmosphere could start to eat away at the elevator.

Offline lordly_dragon

Space Elevators
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 10:21:08 AM »
all in all this is not such a good idea.... for all the said reason above...there is really nothing more to add...this topic should be concluded unless someone have any revelant thing to add =)

Running, scrambling, flying
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. Aces high.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Space Elevators
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 01:24:01 PM »
closed
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode