Author Topic: Microbe Idea  (Read 4608 times)

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Microbe Idea
« on: October 04, 2006, 10:58:54 PM »
now, since its been basically confirmed that the blight is at least semi sentient, and that it would be cool to be made into a colony, there are some fundamental problems it would have game play wise, most notable of which would be, why doesn't it just melt everything it doesn't like?, well I am proposing an idea of my take on the microbe that should solve some of the problems and introduce balance to an inherently powerful concept

OK my take on it is, that, the blight, being engineered as a terraforming agent, would most likely have a system built in that once the planet is terraformed it would die off, since there is no more need of its existence

the savants not having direct control over the metabolic reactions, might have some control of the mutations and evolution of the blight (it would be the DNA of it)

to override the auto destruct system put in by Eden, they mutate the blight into a form where the metabolic reactions are much less vigorous, making it virtually harmless to buildings and vecs, but also decreasing its reproduction rate significantly

with this new form, the blight would be able to interface with buildings and units and control them, rather than melting them, but it would require a certain amount of cells to achieve complete control over a building, and since the reproduction rate of the new cells is so low, it would effectively make an equivalent to the population

that solves the problem of the microbe being able to melt everything it doesn't like, and makes a population equivalent so the blight wouldn't be overpowered game play wise

this is just a concept idea, of course it needs evaluated, but I believe it holds merit, comment away
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Microbe Idea
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 12:06:20 PM »
I could see the Savant computers able to manipulate DNA because they would some how have to store information.  I would take a guess they did this with proteint strands or DNA codes TGAC.   This give you how they are able to manipulate the blight microbe in such a way as you suggest.

I would say They made a retro virus and introduced it into the blight using there methods of data storage and then the change began to happen slow and then expodentially faster.

Offline Sirbomber

Microbe Idea
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 04:12:43 PM »
I might as well be the first to say that they thought of this months ago (maybe more, they don't tell me much).
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Microbe Idea
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 04:32:02 PM »
whos they? the genisis team? I origionally made this idea for gp's version, so each one can have its own story
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Microbe Idea
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 07:32:28 PM »
We thought of this at the very start of genesis lol.... well something quite similar

It was virturally the same thing the origonal OP3 team had in mind when they did theirs and never finished...
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Microbe Idea
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 09:52:31 PM »
you should post the story the origional op3 team had, with new haven and such, i remember reading it at kevs forums, but that was so many years ago

Offline Sirbomber

Microbe Idea
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 02:05:51 PM »
Personally, I don't like the "evil Blight" scenario, because:
1) The infected vehicles (E/P 4) basically patrolled and shot you on sight. In other words, they're probably just repeating their last orders (before they were infected) indefinately. (And they'd probably be busy blowing the crap out of each other, but that would make the mission incredibly easy.)

2) Darn, I forgot the second reason.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 02:06:13 PM by Sirbomber »
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Microbe Idea
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 06:39:36 PM »
The second reason is probablysomething like the blight is boring, lets do something else thats original.

Offline lordly_dragon

Microbe Idea
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 10:51:17 PM »
how about adding some quantum phys related problem such as black hole appearance, part of a ship is abosrbed in a wormhole (thus making the landing quite harsh) or I dunno a supernova that will blow soon...

Running, scrambling, flying
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. Aces high.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Microbe Idea
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2006, 10:54:27 PM »
all scifi cliches

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Microbe Idea
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2006, 01:47:37 AM »
1 if a black hole shows up every one is f***ed and there is no escape remember not even light escapes its gravity.

2 Wormholes are for stargate and and startrek.  If you want a part of the ship to go off line.  Play it up to a human going insane from space madness (hehe ya i know) going insane from the long flight and cabin fever.  There would be some one at the helm or a wake to take care of things.  Say he jetisons a part or a modual.  Or you can have a meteor impact.  Even if they do exsist these two things are more likely to happen then a worehole.

3 No one would land on a planet that has a star that would go super nova or white dwarf.

The blight is boring but it ties into the op2 story.  the Idea that the blight is changed by the savants also means they would have the means to produce new vecs instead of having the crazed vecs running all over blasting any thing they see.

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Microbe Idea
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2006, 09:56:50 AM »
Another thing to consider: because of its form, the Blight is dependent on machinery to do anything other than reproduce (the microbe itself, that is) and think.

Offline Sirbomber

Microbe Idea
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2006, 10:18:08 AM »
The second reason is probablysomething like the blight is boring, lets do something else thats original.
BLASPHEMER!
The Blight owns you and everything you stand for.