Author Topic: How About This?  (Read 1847 times)

Offline TKO

How About This?
« on: September 19, 2006, 11:18:27 AM »
Alright, first of all; hello! Yes, I'm new here. I mainly joined because I've been to the IRC chat a few times and have been unable to play because no one ever is. Thus, I came up with this thought...

Since no one wants this game to die. I mean, come on, it's awesome, right?! When you get that itch to play...you just have to play! I don't know if this was that of before (I'm sure it has) or has even been done already (which it may be), but how about making it possible (for one) to make/join a game only needing one person and be able to play an AI within that map. This would eliminate the need to try and scrape up people to play and if people just want to brush up on the game, they can.

Getting the AI to work wouldn't be hard at all. In fact, they already did it in some of the maps in the orginal game, just kept them on defense (you all know what map I'm talking about). The hardest, obviously, would be to start a game needing only one person. I guess a flip side to this would be a bot that you can make join a game and therefore they would stay motionless while you play the AI.

So, what do you think???

Offline Sl0vi

How About This?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 11:52:01 AM »
Welcome! :D

Are you on the correct IRC server? Because there is always someone online, atleast some idlers ;)

Eddy-B is already working on an AI for the game. The original AI isn't really an AI, as it's simply controlled by a bunch of triggers and the bases are always the same. Eddy-B's is going to be very advanced, if he ever finishes it.

If you want more maps with AI players, you could download the SDK, learn mission coding and make some yourself :D
!!!YAY!!!

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
How About This?
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 01:01:40 PM »
hey again welcome to opu

Offline Tellaris

How About This?
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 01:34:27 PM »
Depends when your on.   The vast majority of people for me are on about 3-6 PM Mountain time (GMT-6 I think).   If you're on in the very early morning, (As in European players usually are) you won't find really ANYONE to play.   Most people here either work or go to school or both, and so arn't going to be up all night.
It usually does pick up quite a bit over summer.

Also,
Welcome to OPU!    Hope to play ya :P
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 01:34:49 PM by Baikon »
Spell Checker!   The PoWeR tOoL
Click Here For Coolness
Self Proclaimed OPU Help desk.

Offline Leviathan

How About This?
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 03:34:30 AM »
Welcome :D

Hope to see you on IRC.

Hopefully one day we will have skirmish based games with AI. And yea, sorry - not a new suggestion or idea ;)

I think more of a idea for geting a game on IRC would be a game waiting system (we have had one before) so that you know if other people want to play etc.

Offline TKO

How About This?
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 09:45:12 PM »
Yeah, I knew that this was something that many people more than likely thought of, but the biggest thing is playing, really. Obviously, there will be times where people aren't on to play or other reasons why. So, I guess my suggestion/question is that can/will be there a way to 'enter' in a game without another player and then the solo player could be on a map where there was an AI type or controlled by triggers, or no comp at all.

First thing that really triggered this is the fact that playing 'skirmish' or 'tutorial' pretty much can't happen unless you can get ahold of the manual (for tutorial) and such.

If this completely confuses you, I'm sorry...

Offline Sl0vi

How About This?
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 06:41:37 AM »
both the online manual and the tutorials can be found in the wiki.

Tutorials:
http://wiki.outpostuniverse.net/Category:Tutorials

Manual:
http://wiki.outpostuniverse.net/Category:Manual

Anyway, your pretty much stuck with the campaign and colony games for solo play at the moment.

Edit - If you want to solo play on a multiplayer map, open OP2 twice, then host with one and join with the other.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 06:44:11 AM by Sl0vi »
!!!YAY!!!