Author Topic: Esg Model  (Read 6973 times)

Offline Tramis

Esg Model
« on: August 03, 2006, 02:19:19 PM »
Related ideas:
-Explosive Guard Posts, Proximity mines, etc

The ESG in OP2 just plain looks wierd.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this.  It doesn't even look like a weapon.  This idea would affect gameplay in no way whatsoever - but I want a cooler looking ESG turret!  The mines too - the little blinky things are just kinda wierd looking, and don't resemble mines at all.

Now for the part that effects gameplay - the fact that it makes a solid block of mines is kinda wierd too.  Suppose it fired fewer mines, that scattered out randomly over a larger area.  Also they might last longer, and you might lower the ROF a bit.  I hate how the ESG has to be on-site to keep a minefield in place, making removing said minefield a simple matter - kill the ESG, and you're free to go.  Perhaps make a way to kill the mines, as well, with a minesweeper unit/weapon?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 02:19:41 PM by Tramis »

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Esg Model
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 05:17:36 AM »
ESG has always been a powerful weapon in op2 and is used by many good players. I fail to see why you want to change it.

I also personally think that the ESG turret is one of the coolest looking in op2.
Well, everyone has his/her own opinion. But still, we want to keep op3 consistent with op2.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Esg Model
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 05:52:51 PM »
from the back it looks weard, but if you see the frount of it you can see that its filled with many small missles, so its basicly a very large missle type launcher

very cool in my book
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Tramis

Esg Model
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 07:37:24 PM »
hmm iono i always just see a big clunky...thing.  Doesn't look much like a missile launcher in game.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Esg Model
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 08:01:36 PM »
its not a missile launcher its a Mine spreader the big box "toaster" that is has as a turret is just where all the tubes and fireing componets of the weapon are.  How many does it fire in a single shot like 9 or 12?

Offline Tramis

Esg Model
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 12:51:10 AM »
its not a missile launcher its a Mine spreader the big box "toaster" that is has as a turret is just where all the tubes and fireing componets of the weapon are.  How many does it fire in a single shot like 9 or 12?
*counts* 13 from one grenade

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Esg Model
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 01:59:17 AM »
Yes but remember some of the limittaions that OP2 had.  With OP3 I believe it would be possible to make it look like it fires multipul instead of the generic contrail that is used by EMP ESG Acid Sticky RPG

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Esg Model
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2006, 02:27:17 PM »
they should hav just had a bigger trail for the esg, all the smoke collecting into a single mass
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Esg Model
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006, 04:10:51 PM »
or if its possible, have each mine launch seperately, but only miliseconds from eachother, so it becomes almost like a rapid fireing wep

(it would have a long reload time, shoot 13 shots in about a second or so, and than have another long reload time)
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Esg Model
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2006, 04:17:53 PM »
The projectiles the ESG shoots out split into the actual electrostatic mines. In OP2, the mines were ridiculously huge due to Gameplay™, and it didn't look like it was firing as if it were a... box rocket launcher thingy.

Hmm, I just had another idea... ESW. Electrostatic Wall. A wall that hurts enemy units that travel alongside it.

Offline Tramis

Esg Model
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2006, 04:33:03 PM »
I dunno about a ESW.

Anyways, I'll make a concept idea for the ESG consisting of the mines, the projectile and the launcher, and maybe make a poll to decide whether you guys prefer the OP2 version
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 04:34:17 PM by Tramis »

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Esg Model
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2006, 04:35:03 PM »
a wall i dont think so

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
Esg Model
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2006, 04:36:25 PM »
*Traps Freeza in an ESCage with ESChickens*

But yeah, a ESW would only be effective alongside Really Bad Pathfinding™, which is more a part of Gameplay™ than Realism™ and would just be Infuriatingly Irritating™.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 07:19:14 PM by Arklon »

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Esg Model
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2006, 12:11:11 AM »
There you go A ESG Turret that resembles the OP2 turret only not so plain looking like a toaster from the 70's.  Oh ya I mounted in on my Lynx Mark 2.

Offline Tramis

Esg Model
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2006, 04:26:28 PM »
Pretty kewl - combine that with my new mine and projectile, and we're in business!

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Esg Model
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2006, 04:59:23 PM »
if interested that one thing is a Radar range finder and that other thing is a tube to fill up the space hehehe lets say that is the ummmmm heat disapation unit lol.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Esg Model
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2006, 09:01:30 PM »
makes sense, especially if it has a liquid cooling system.  It would go through the pipe and cool off in the atmosphere around it.  Granted, with a thinner atmosphere, it would need to be a liquid with a very low vaporization point
CK9 in outpost
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Esg Model
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2006, 10:00:59 PM »
well lets not be to technical about that lol i could just say its liquid oxygen or nitrogen

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Esg Model
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2006, 03:12:46 PM »
that'll work :)
CK9 in outpost

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Esg Model
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2006, 06:32:34 PM »
I do like this idea, should it be considered further?

`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Esg Model
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2006, 06:44:14 PM »
well sense esg is a launching wep and not an energy wep I dont see how any upgrades like heat dissapation systems would work, its already got that upgrade for the launcher

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Esg Model
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2006, 09:20:19 PM »
any thing that launches creates heat.  The heat dissapation isnt to make the weapon fire faster like a laser or a micro its just there to keep the weapon normal.  you launch a rocket from a tube and the tube gets hot.  Plus really that tu be is just there to fill up some empty space.  It doesnt have to be heat disapation i was only joking when i said that.

Offline Tiedyeguy

Esg Model
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2006, 07:59:12 AM »
I personally think the MLRS (http://www.army-technology.com/projects/mlrs/) system for ESG/mine deployment is a good idea. It fits well with Freeza's model displayed above, as well as the model used in OP2. This could be used for longer range deployment of mines, does not have LOS restrictions, and could provide a range of deployment patterns from concentrated point firing to wide area suppression fire. In a minute or so I will post another topic on a possible multi-purpose MLRS system that could also be used as a platform for deploying mines.
Brian
PS: Maybe a Bouncing Mine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bounding_mine) style model would be nice.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 08:04:21 AM by Tiedyeguy »