Author Topic: Unit Missions  (Read 3866 times)

Offline Tramis

Unit Missions
« on: July 18, 2006, 03:11:33 PM »
Automated Unit Missions

A group of units could, depending on what units are in the group, be sent on an automated mission.  This would make micromanagement a lot easier, freeing you up to stress about your colony.
 IE
If you got together a group of say, 5 spiders, 3 EMP lynx, and 3 RPG lynx, then you could tell them "Capture & secure" then click on an area, and they would move to that area, destroying all combat units and capturing all noncombat units they pass by.

If you got together a group of 4 Microwave Lynx and some Convecs with Guard Posts, you could tell them "Take & hold area" and they would move in, destroy enemies, and build guard posts to defend the area.

A list of mission ideas:
Capture&Secure (available to groups with Spiders, EMP and combat units
Take&Hold Area (available to groups with combat units and/or ConVecs carrying Guard Posts)
Destroy Light, capture Heavy (attack enemy light tanks, capture their Tigers, available to groups with Spiders, EMP and combat units)
Lay Siege Framework (Build a small siege camp, available to groups with combat units and ConVecs with Command Center and Vehicle Factory and some Guard Posts)
Destroy Base (Go to enemy CC, destroying Guard Posts as you go along, avalable to groups with combat units)
Intercept (Cut off enemy units and attack them, available to groups with Lynx)
Flank (Split up and attack enemies from both sides, available to groups with Combat Units)
Repair Area (Repair all damaged structures in the area, available to groups with Spiders, Convecs or Repair Vehicles)

Offline Sirbomber

Unit Missions
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 03:19:59 PM »
I would only trust the AI to auto-repair my Toks.
It'd make a mess out of everything else. I'd tell it to set up GPs and it would be raping my ally's Adv Lab or something.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline croxis

• http://croxis.net
Unit Missions
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 04:47:48 PM »
Its a big problem with automation in practically every game.  If the human can do something better then they will do so, even if there is an AI there to make it more easy for the player.  Complex things like destroy base would probably fail most the time, especally againced a human player.  Some of the options, like secure an area, I think would be far more useful as it would be a extended version of guard, build, and repair.
David - Proud to be saving the universe sense 1984
Open Outpost developer.  Project Page | Forum Thread

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Unit Missions
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 08:50:54 PM »
I think that this is an interesting idea.  The fact that the AI can't do these things as effectively as the player could do them on his/her [<--in rememberace of some of our greatests players, such as Falcon] own makes it balance itself out well.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Axalon

Unit Missions
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 03:34:21 PM »
Hmm...gives ideas for complex build orders, like "set up base", which would require a convec with a CC, an earthworker, and any number of convecs with whatever structure(s) you want. It would then set up a CC and the respective buildings with an earthworker connecting them all by tubes. Or perhaps something more basic, like "set up mining colony" (CC + smelter) or "set up fort" (CC + network of guard posts).

My 2 cents.

Offline Tramis

Unit Missions
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 02:07:59 AM »
CK9's hit the nail right on the head.  Of course its less effective, or theyd do it all game long.  If you want it done right, do it yourself - but unless you feel like going through 2 mice a day like most ppl on OP2 do, you can only do one thing at a time.

Salvage would be on the list, so Cargo Trucks would salvage whatever they could find and Lynx would defend them as they go back and forth to the GORF.

And "set up mining colony" would probably see a lot of use, seeing as people do it so often and its a difficult thing to mess up - you build, you start mining.  It would cause quite a few less headaches.

Offline croxis

Unit Missions
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 01:03:27 PM »
*nods* Ok I agree - a lot of things could be automated like that.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Unit Missions
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 03:54:50 AM »
if 9 or 10 of my military vecs got up and ran away on some damn mission i would be pissed

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Unit Missions
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006, 06:26:59 AM »
i thought the savants were so occupied with simply running the colony that they could only afford to operate a few units. the purpose of the vehicle command center was to take that load off the savants and let them take care of the colonists, etc. and not combat. and the AI still requires orders and monitoring to know what to do. going to the trouble of selecting a group and ordering them to "attack base" is only a couple clicks behind simply ordering them all individually. so whats the difference?

having large groups of units suicide themselves everytime you turn your back would be very annoying.

Offline croxis

Unit Missions
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2006, 11:53:14 AM »
Mission is probably the wrong choice of word for this.

Advanced order would probably be better.

Although only having them avalable after the RCC is built would be fine.

Offline Skydock Command

Unit Missions
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2006, 05:20:30 PM »
I think this is a great idea. Mabey we should have a build farmland or somthing like that. Avalible to units with convec carring CC, 3 agidomes and a tokamak

Savant Computer: Communications link established.
Skydock: This is Skydock Command. We have received your message.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Unit Missions
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2006, 10:28:45 PM »
farm land..... this aint a place for farms.

Short cuts to short cuts is this game being made by microsoft or some thing to many short cuts to make things easier is a bit ridiculous

Offline Skydock Command

Unit Missions
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2006, 06:45:42 AM »
I know, but it would be cool. Allthough now im kind of more opposed to this.
Savant Computer: Communications link established.
Skydock: This is Skydock Command. We have received your message.