Author Topic: Green World, Now With Water!  (Read 8345 times)

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Green World, Now With Water!
« on: June 16, 2006, 07:44:52 PM »
Two months ago, I started working on an addition to the greenworld tileset. Over the next month I created shoreline, water, sea ice, and bridges all to make the best world map(s) greenworld could provide (and possibly the first player created world map). Once I had filled all the unused tiles in wells 11 and 12, I made a small map as a demo; as seen here:

Bridge Defence LoS, 4P:
Files:

In a RAR file
BridgeDefence.rar

Separate
ml4_brd.dll
BridgeDefence.map

Notes:
Starting locations are fixed, where player slots 1 and 3 are on the left, and 2 and 4 are on the right. It's highly recommended to play left vs. right, and only have one eden and one plymouth on each team (rare ore is designed for this).

Also, each bridge has some code I wrote to force all tubes placed to the top of the bridges, and walls are destroyed. This is done for two reasons, 1) digging tubes all over a bridge would ruin it's structural integreity, and 2) it uses less tiles in the tileset.

Anyway, I got tired of waiting for it to be officaly released with a new version of greenworld  :P, and decided to make a version of the current greenworld maps04.vol available with the new tiles. You can download it here:

maps04.vol

However, this only has the tileset and .map files of greenworld. If you don't currently have greenworld, get it off the wiki, then download this file. In any case, it should work with other non-water maps.

Files:

In a RAR file
TheGreenWorld.rar

Separate
mu6_tgw.dll
TheGreenWorld.map

You might notice that the bridges are absent on the map. This is because the code I use to manage bridges also creates them. This is also true for mines, I'm going to have the game draw the metal clumps on mines, so there arn't any clumps that hold no mines (since mines will be random from an array of possible mines).

Here's a version of the map with starting locations (yellow dots) furamoles (red dots) and mines (white dots).

The globe view with day and night. Notice how ice glows blue at night  :blink:
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 06:05:43 PM by Mcshay »

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 07:49:14 PM »
well I have to say

awesome lol
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 02:17:28 PM »
Updated with a picture of BridgeDefence. I also updated the world map I'm making. It might look at bit off because it's in the mapper, and some tiles don't look right in hte mapper's minimaps.

I should be done with my map between this weekend and next weekend.

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 02:45:56 PM »
Very nice.

I absolutely like it.

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 09:34:28 AM »
Updated again, only a few more islands to go, then I just have to add hills.

I also put up a screenshot from op2 in globe mode (plus some distortion from compression). I recently learned while mapping that op2 paint the polar globe areas not created in the map file using the upper row of tiles. Not just for the top part, but the bottom too. I spent awhile trying to figure out why there was water below my ice on the southern hemisphere when I still hadn't drawn the northern ice  <_<.

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 02:26:38 PM »
Totaly great work!

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 02:42:35 PM »
can you say gp gauntlet lol
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 04:03:16 PM »
can you say gp gauntlet lol
Or how about op2 Risk? I might just do it  :P  

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006, 07:17:47 PM »
Whooo! Time to test the LR version. Topic updated with pictures and progress.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2006, 07:02:19 AM »
I really like it.

And yes, you can claim the credit that you were the first person to make a world map from scratch :) I don't know of any others.

One question about the starting locations. I noticed that some of them are kind of close together (or so it seems). Does the DLL include code to ensure that a player won't start up, for example, on the same island as another player? (Or in other words, are they distributed evenly across the map?)

I suppose it is LR so it doesn't matter that much, but if they happen to use initial vehicles or something they could be in range to start fighting.

EDIT: I would like to add this. You don't have to use maps04.vol anymore for the name of the VOL file which the tilesets are stored.

As of 1.3.4, you can name it anything (for example grnwld.vol) and place it inside a folder named Addon inside the op2 dir. The game will load all the VOL's that it detects inside the Addon folder (this is basically so you can have extra tilesets, etc without them having to be merged into one VOL or otherwise screwing up the rest of the game).

That way you can leave maps04.vol empty (for that matter, we could probably get rid of maps04 next release).
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 07:06:54 AM by op2hacker »

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2006, 07:45:09 AM »
The starting locations are just randomly picked, like in Dynamix's maps, starting close to your enemies adds a challenge to the game.

Here's a list of bugs/problems found so far in the beta version (for your enjoyment):

-The 'Bottom Tube' Terrain mapping was wrong, it had set it to lava wall on grey ground :P - Fixed
-There was one spot where I skipped a tile when I was making the shore impassible, letting Betaray's tigers loose on the ocean. - Fixed
-Bridges were way too small, any attack was pure suicide... I'll make them wider and up the crossing speed a bit (does z12 sound nice :o) - Fixed

It would be neat to have a separate .vol for greenworld hacker, but I was waiting for Levi to do that, since it is his project. But, if there was a way to convert a map from one tileset to another, I probably would reorganize the tileset (to remove repeat tiles such as walls and tubes, and to put things where they should be {I don't really need a rock in the middle of my shore tiles! :P})and convert all existing maps (there are less than 10, no big deal).

Perhaps if the new mapper has these two changes to the tileset and terrain windows, it would be easier:

The window where you add wells to your map would be mostly the same, but if you replaced a well with a new well that is too small, or if you delete a well that is used in the map, you are given the option to convert existing tiles into tiles from a different well. This way you could replace grnwld01 with stuffs01 which has many more tiles, but delete grnwld02 and assign used tiles from it to tiles from stuffs01.

It would also be nice if the terrain window could save terrains, so you could just load one file into your map and not mess with all the tiles that need transformations.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 04:47:04 PM by Mcshay »

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2006, 09:33:23 AM »
As it turns out, walls and possibly tubes are created differently in op2, causing invincible invisible walls to be created on bridges. I can't seem to find a way to fix this currently. Also I recently caught some kind of sickness, and can't concentrate enough to work on this bug. The map will have to be put on hold untill I get better.

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2006, 11:38:10 AM »
it must be because the tiles u used for the brige dont have wall tiles assigned to them. the main grass overwrires the main sand and the main sand changes to the wall tiles when u build wall on them. im not sure if everytile will work this way. some tiles r not meant to be built on, like the impassable ones, the clifs.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2006, 11:57:14 AM »
As it turns out, walls and possibly tubes are created differently in op2, causing invincible invisible walls to be created on bridges. I can't seem to find a way to fix this currently. Also I recently caught some kind of sickness, and can't concentrate enough to work on this bug. The map will have to be put on hold untill I get better.
Does it have to do with the destruction of the walls to make them go on one part of the bridge?

When a wall is created, 3 things happen to the tile that its on:

1. Cell type is changed to the Wall celltype for the type of wall that it is
2. The graphics are changed to that of a wall
3. The wallOrBuilding bit is set, which makes the tile impassable.

My guess is that your destruction code (If this is part of it) is leaving the wallOrBuilding bit set, so the tile may look normal but in effect it's treated like a wall.

Use that hack I showed you guys with the blight (that allowed you to retrieve all the data fields for a tile instead of just the graphics / celltype) and set wallOrBuilding = 0 to remove this bit.

Perhaps that will clear up the problem.

--

As for the sand thing, I don't think thats the problem since he created the map from scratch and used the terrain editor to set all the images to use for tubes / walls manually. And that in itself won't cause it to mark it as impassable or anything, it just changes the graphics.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 11:58:47 AM by op2hacker »

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2006, 02:20:24 PM »
Yeah, I did make a Terrain that covers the entire tileset for my map, so thats not the problem.

However, I didn't know about that bit. I'll look at it when I start feeling better.

Offline thablkpanda

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2006, 07:03:57 PM »
I haven't gotten to play this one yet. However I'm insanely intrigued by it's promise.

Congratulations on your work however McShay; and I also congratulate you being the first OPU resident to be crazy enough to devise your own world map.

I can't wait to see your future work, because I'm sure this is just a sliver of your incredible skill.

-Chris
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 07:04:18 PM by thablkpanda »

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2006, 01:01:29 PM »
Thanks panda, I'll try to get the bridge code fixed today, initial tests have simply not worked.. so I'm going to try rewriting the bridge code to read much better, and simply work better.

So far, the map seems to be for long games (longer than mark 1000) unless you can rush the enemy before they get their bridges secured. Tiger attacks take for ever, but lynx attacks are resonable. It gives attackers a challenge to coordinate their attacks against a single player of the other team, while trying to keep the rest of the other team out. So don't complain if you are 2v1'd, it's actualy fair considering the poor position the attackers are put in. I haven't played it with six people yet, but it looks like it would be great.

Overall, if you like long games and bottle necks, you'll love this map. If you rush people as often as you breath... you might not like this map  :P.

I'll start on the map these tile were actualy created for later... it might take a while too.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 01:04:24 PM by Mcshay »

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2006, 11:18:49 AM »
I just finished fixing the bugs with the bridges. Making walls disapear is harder than it seems, so I did what hacker said, and made the whole bridge tubed. I also changed the bridge graphics, so everyone who wants to play BridgeDefence or TheGreenWorld needs to redownload maps04.vol too.

I also updated some small things in BridgeDefence.

Offline FeazOfEden

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2006, 10:35:48 AM »
I like that island map. Colony game possibility I see...

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2006, 06:43:43 PM »
Now, you do realize that the greenworld tileset is from Total Annihilation, right? Your shoreline tiles look pretty good but I like the shoreline tiles from TA better. Why not get some screenshots and base the shore tiles off them?

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2006, 07:13:53 PM »
Because this has been done for quite awhile and he has more important things to do.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2006, 02:45:57 PM »
Now, you do realize that the greenworld tileset is from Total Annihilation, right? Your shoreline tiles look pretty good but I like the shoreline tiles from TA better. Why not get some screenshots and base the shore tiles off them?
Because i don't like to steal other people's tiles.

Offline Arklon

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2006, 03:30:32 PM »
Because i don't like to steal other people's tiles.
Well, the tileset you added on to uses stolen tiles.

Offline Sirbomber

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2006, 03:30:48 PM »
Not his department.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Slaughter (PhodoX)

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2006, 12:43:51 PM »
Funny enough, I remember myself playing on this map. When I played with (Aldair or Starfox), I was atacked through the sea! His vehicles passed through the water! Can you imagine that!
Here comes the SUPERNOVA SWARM!

<Upload the photo to the OPU servers please!!!!>