Great!
7 (53.8%)
Good
4 (30.8%)
Alright
1 (7.7%)
Needs Improvement
0 (0%)
Eww, I think something splattered on my monitor...
1 (7.7%)
No Comment
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Tokamak  (Read 6003 times)

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Tokamak
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2006, 02:16:43 PM »
I agree, now that ive seen the proper angle that it will be viewed at it looks remarkably like the tokamok, it dosnt have to be exact, it is an entirely new game after all

but one thing I was wondering, you said it would be angles we would never see in game, why wouldnt we be able to change the viewing angle? isnt that the entire point of a 3d RTS?, I thought you would be able to change the angle with the mouse wheel like you do with WC3
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline Tellaris

Tokamak
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2006, 04:59:09 PM »
The only time excessive detail becomes necessary is when you decide to have a zoom in feature, but thats a whole different story.   (You can have the game draw what is only visible, so the extra detail isn't even included anyway)
Spell Checker!   The PoWeR tOoL
Click Here For Coolness
Self Proclaimed OPU Help desk.

Offline omagaalpha

Tokamak
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2006, 05:17:20 PM »
I posted it so people could see it, comment on it, and give constructive criticism... Not so they could tell me it looks like crap that I made in a day and to redo the entire thing. (Unless that happened to be the general consensus.)

And as hacker (and others) have pointed out, you're judging it based off of angles you'll never see it from, nor have you seen how it will look all shiny with the blue lines and all.
1st off I would hold too same level critizem I my own models.  Never said yours was crap because to me it is not but feel it could impoved. Also, I never said to redo model for all the problems can be easly fix in no time.

Also notice that base is also T - shaped too.

To me thought it was constructive criticism. So if it came out other wise to you I am sorry came out that way.

As for second part it better not be a lock camera to it for that why you use 3d model over outpost 2 system to be able move camera around with easy.

And Sirbomber don't want cause you to stop help make 3d models ethier.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 05:21:44 PM by omagaalpha »
Sorry if my grammar and spelling is bad, but I have disablity with it.
Yes, English is the first and only language that I know.

Offline Isolocis

Tokamak
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2006, 05:49:05 PM »
Apparently you people have misunderstood what he meant.  Let's read that part again:

you're judging it based off of angles you'll never see it from

In Outpost 2, you could not see the back of the buildings.  Why?  Obviously because that the whole game's camera was fixed at one camera angle.  You can only see the front of the buildings.

Then try looking at the "Screenshots/Images" on their website, not the "Developer Screenshots" by the way.  You will see screenshots of a Plymouth Agridome.  See how every angle of that building is shown?

So when Sirbomber said "based off of angles you'll never see it from", he meant the angles that view the back of Outpost 2 buildings, or angles that view anything else that was not visible in the front of the structure.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 05:54:28 PM by Isolocis »

Offline Sirbomber

Tokamak
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2006, 05:55:39 PM »
Iso is right. I guess I should've said you've, not you'll.

And yes, I know I got the base "wrong". But it's better this way. THe framerate will be faster this way.
And for all of those saying "it won't make much of a difference," you're wrong. It will make quite a bit of difference when you have an entire colony on screen at once.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline omagaalpha

Tokamak
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2006, 06:13:02 PM »
Since when does 2 polygon make big difference even if have huge coloney.
1. Assuming not rendering what not visible to camera
2. don't have mega zoom out.
3. for impression I get from you the terrian must serously take out fps.
4.  personaly opion is that should not be so worry fps that change design.

ok even if you do not excepted that then take two outside ribs put against bottom base top edges so it look better. For building design wise, why heck would have corner like that.

Or you could add 4th ribs anyway but consider how worry you are polycount prombly won't.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 07:23:18 PM by omagaalpha »

Offline Sirbomber

Tokamak
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2006, 07:31:09 PM »
It renders everything, even if you can't see it.
And for the last time:
We are aiming for high speeds/FPS rather than perfection and excessive detail.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline omagaalpha

Tokamak
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2006, 07:38:47 PM »
My goodness if render everything then I can see thats all things geting verry horrible with fps.  If start talk about outpost 2 map and if were 3d , you would be get very bad results.  Kindy detail see in land formation will kill fps alone.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 07:42:07 PM by omagaalpha »

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
Tokamak
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2006, 09:47:55 AM »
I believe it would only render things that are in the viewable radius not just the whole damn thing.  To have every thing rendered would be very bad indeed.  But that is another topic for discussion.

The Tokamak looks fine There doesnt need to be railing and vents on the model the vents can be on the skin.  High detail isnt much needed because it would make it suck.  If your one of those people that think you need that detail go buy your self a Quad processor server and a damn good vid card and lots of memory.  

Offline Sirbomber

Tokamak
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2006, 09:50:31 AM »
I believe it would only render things that are in the viewable radius not just the whole damn thing.
Yeah, that's what I meant...