Author Topic: Spore  (Read 11903 times)

Offline Galactic

• Administrator
    • http://www.konker.net
Spore
« on: May 02, 2006, 03:37:12 PM »
There is a new video game coming out, somewhere I found later this year, but not sure. The game is called Spore. You start from a single cell organism and slowly evolve into a species and then civilizations.

This movie tells and shows a lot about this. Very cool game.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=83...0559198&q=spore
Take me to your leader! I bare the claws of a corndog.

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Spore
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 03:48:27 PM »
That was posted on here before, but in a thread named something that would make it seem that it was not there.

Anyway: http://www.spore.com/

Offline Sl0vi

Spore
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 09:12:13 PM »
The other thread was actually about procedural programming, which is used very much in this game. And I must say, damn this game looks impressive, game companies really should use procedural programming a lot more!
!!!YAY!!!

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Spore
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 10:35:47 PM »
yea I love that game

take over the universe with carebears with mechs!!

but can you imigine how much computeing power that game requires? thats why most games arnt procedural, unless you have a freking uber computer it will run as slow as snot
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

I just hope they don't explode

Offline memesad

Spore
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 01:24:18 PM »
spore is a awesome game im going to get it when it comes out. ive been looking for a game were you creat everything practically.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2006, 01:24:51 PM by memesad »

Offline Mcshay

• Administrator
Spore
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2006, 02:10:54 PM »
the spore website seems to have been updated for E3. There's a trailer there too.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Spore
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 08:20:42 AM »
Interesting... doubt my computer will be able to run it though.

Oh well, OP2 is great :) :op2:

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Spore
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 05:52:25 PM »
lol, how many more people after me do you think will post about this game?  :P

I'd love to get teh game, but I'd have to fix up my desktop before I could get it.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Spore
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006, 10:41:38 PM »
im getting a new computer for the game

Im gona make a 2 headed dragon, baby!!!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 10:41:55 PM by Betaray »
I am the nincompoop, I eat atomic bombs for breakfest, fusion bombs for lunch, and anti-matter bombs for dinner

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Spore
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 02:52:57 PM »
lol, two brains = much argument

I'm going to try making this first:

http://www.deviantart.com/view/17206781/

then make something else :P
CK9 in outpost
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Spore
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2006, 06:16:55 AM »
ive been following spore for about a year back when i stumbled upon the official site for it while looking up flash animations. i didnt know wtf spore was at the time but when game details were released i learned more.

im actually writing a small series of articles related to spore on my site. one about procedural (content) generation and another about spore itself. it really looks like it will be the best game ever made and dedicates at least one phase of gameplay to every gametype (fps, rts, rpg) there is. im looking forward to being one of the first to get it and start populating the servers with my creations. ive been thinking up a list of creatures id like to design since everything you create in game is used to populate the planets of other players. awesome.

the game itself shouldnt require a bunch of extra upgrades. if you can run sims 2 you could run spore. the procedural generation itself is carried out at load time (except in certain situations) but as wil wright has said, each creature can be described in as little as 1 kilobyte and no more than 10kb. if you have a modern processor it shouldnt be a problem in that regard. but the level of immersement would depend entirely upon your gfx card and memory.

for those looking to upgrade, if you have a CPU of at least 1.5ghz and a gfx card at least on par with a nvidia 5500, all you will need to do is buy a 512mb or 1gb stick of ram. ram determines performance more than the gfx card and ESPECIALLY more than the CPU.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 06:22:05 AM by dm-horus »

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Spore
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2006, 11:05:06 AM »
um...yeah, the desktop I have hasn't been upgraded since Windows 95 was in it's prime...the motherboard itself is out of date.

Anyone know of a stie I can get amazing deals on computer parts at?
CK9 in outpost

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Spore
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2006, 08:30:53 PM »
yea I love that game

take over the universe with carebears with mechs!!

but can you imigine how much computeing power that game requires? thats why most games arnt procedural, unless you have a freking uber computer it will run as slow as snot
This is why you'd have a LOD (level of detail) generator,

as you move ___ far away from the planet, things aren't rendered, IE:

Clouds, roads, the like.

The animation processes... I can nearly guarantee you that they ran their meshes (legs and hands.. etc) through a pre-built engine to animate them... It's too complex to animate them by hand. This way, all the  game is doing is playing different animations, and for facial features (if any), using something similar to shape keys. They will probably use static particles for grass, having textures with alpha channels in it ... phew, that's a mouthful.

Either that, or they just attach a "leg bone" (the skeleton of a leg or arm) to the main body bone, and poof. It acts normally.

For the meshes to be customizable, they would have seperate skeletons for the upper body, lower body... legs... arms.... tentacles? Lol, similar to what we plan on doing with vehicles in OP3.
There will be a lynx chassis, and when a vehicle spawns, the correct turret is placed ontop of the chasis, and attached to the chassis skeleton. There you go, somewhat customizable vehicles in a way.... it's just you don't customize them :P . You reuse parts ^^.

Spore looks like a very interesting game. I'm debating whether or not to buy it when it comes out... :lol:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 08:32:35 PM by Stormy »
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Spore
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2006, 06:31:32 AM »
like i said, everything is procedurally generated meaning that the computer decides how to make everything move. the computer builds the animations at run time depending upon what parts the animal has. if you watch the video, it will make more sense.

very little in the game is hand made and nothing is hand animated. it would be impossible for a person to hand animate every possible combination of body part types since they are built by the person playing. thats why the game is so fantastic, everything is unique and custom designed by the player. if you make one leg longer than the other, the computer comes up with how a creature like that should move. the controls are even procedural. if you tell your creature to move just after you ordered it to eat, it will DRAG the carcass because it sees EAT+MOVE=DRAG WITH MOUTH

so stormy, i suggest you download the video on google video. just search for "spore" on google video and youve got it.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Spore
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2006, 10:49:08 AM »
You start in pacman mode, and end in space invaders mode, lol
CK9 in outpost

Offline james239

Spore
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2006, 05:38:37 PM »
hmmm, I wonder if when you get to the starship, there are computer controlled starships flying around too? you could have a space-battle sort of thing...

Offline Sl0vi

Spore
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2006, 06:02:30 PM »
I don't know if you can have space ship battle's, but if you attack another races colonies they will strike back.
Read a review on IGN if I remember correctly, where they got to play test the game a little bit. They tried to blow up another races colony, only to shortly after receive a message about their own homeworld being attacked. They didn't say much about how counter attacks work tho.
!!!YAY!!!

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Spore
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2006, 10:26:13 PM »
well you know since this is from the same guy who made the sims, free downloadible content will be availble for the game after its releaced (game features, we already know about the creature content)

im sure it will be inculded though, I mean, who dosnt love a huge space battle?

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Spore
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2006, 10:25:36 AM »
*raises hand*

It's a bit overused of an idea
CK9 in outpost

Offline omagaalpha

Spore
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2006, 12:11:30 PM »
Spores looks like very cool game. Can't wait come out to buy it.
Sorry if my grammar and spelling is bad, but I have disablity with it.
Yes, English is the first and only language that I know.

Offline james239

Spore
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2006, 05:48:54 PM »
Yeah, space battles are a bit overused... but I think it'd look cool in 3D, especially if you could have little miniature ships that you could attack with, aircraft carrier style.

Offline Sl0vi

Spore
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2006, 06:00:29 PM »
Space battles never get old!
!!!YAY!!!

Offline Betaray

• Administrator
Spore
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2006, 06:45:07 PM »
This sounds like an offshoot debate thread!!

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Spore
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2006, 09:26:50 PM »
When was the last time we actually used that section?
CK9 in outpost

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Spore
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2006, 02:29:47 PM »
Long long ago :P