Author Topic: Looking For Wine Users  (Read 1755 times)

Offline Anm

Looking For Wine Users
« on: April 18, 2006, 12:25:12 PM »
Hey all,

I'm very surprised to see an active community surrounding these games.  Way to go, keeping an aging game alive.

But I came on a very specifc quest.  I'm wondering if anyone has any hints on running it under Linux via Wine.  You see, what I really want to do is get it running on my MacBook Pro.  Being just another intel machine, and seeing Darwine with an x86 release, I'm mildly hopeful.  My biggest concern is that Outpost 1.5 is Win16.

I'd love any pointers to success stories and how-to files.

Thanks.

Anm

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
Looking For Wine Users
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 02:45:43 PM »
Well, as for running OP2, I believe it is possible. The best person to ask would be TH300, as he uses Linux for his main system (I'm pretty sure).
I don't think he has gotten much success under WINE.

(I have a linux system of my own, but I don't do any OP2 related development on it, and certainly don't try to play OP2 on it)

As for myself, I have tried running it under WINE on Slackware Linux 9.1 (this was quite a while ago). It did seem to work, however it ran too slow to be unplayable. (I did have a 333mhz PII so that was probably part of the problem).

I don't believe sound worked either. (My sound config was sort of screwed up, I don't think any sound coming from WINE worked at all, even though ALSA worked with other apps fine)

Also, the menu didn't work quite right, but you can get around that by editing Outpost2.ini and setting SpiffyDraw=0. (The menus won't look nice like they are supposed to, but the game will work fine)

Someone else might have gotten it to run under WineX / Cedega (it's by Linspire, you can get its source off of CVS) but I can't remember any details about it.

As for Darwine, results could be better or worse. I don't know if it's based off of the same codebase as WINE (though I would like to think so).

I am assuming that you are running on Mac OS X, correct?

If none of this works, a last option would be to install a whole PC emulator and install windows onto it to play OP2 that way. Bochs, QEMU, plex86 are a few freeware emulators I can think of, VMware is a commercial one (runs on Linux host, I don't know about OS X). I use VMware myself (to run linux on this winxp system I have) and its speed is quite impressive. (Should be good enough for multiplayer if you have a decent system). I think one of our members (I believe it was neutrino) runs OP2 on NetBSD this way (using vmware or something similar).

---

Anyway, hope that helps.

Welcome to the community! hopefully see you on IRC sometime! :)
-- op2hacker

Offline zigzagjoe

Looking For Wine Users
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 03:49:22 PM »
i've also dabbled with this. no sound -- its not implemented, no cursors, selection is wonkey at times. Menu was fixed. It was fast enough to be playable, though. Your best ticket is a emu, IMO.

Offline Sirbomber

Looking For Wine Users
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 10:17:50 PM »
He seems to be asking about Outpost 1.5 though, not OP2.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Looking For Wine Users
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 10:34:25 PM »
the biggest problem with outpost2 under WINE was that multi didn't work. And you have to start Outpost2.exe in a maximized window or it will freeze at startup. Sound works fine, cursors and menu decoration not.