Author Topic: Windows In Tubes  (Read 2199 times)

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Windows In Tubes
« on: March 19, 2006, 06:10:54 PM »
Windows in tubes

Originally proposed by Betaray

Related ideas:

- Colonists walking around outside

Description:

Colonists can be seen through those windows.
Good for morale.

This is a good idea, because:

- not impossible to make those windows stable enough. even with todays technologies.
- if structures have windows - why not tubes?

This is a bad idea, because:

- windows could be structural weaknesses.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 06:36:12 PM by TH300 »

Offline Jgamer

Windows In Tubes
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 09:40:17 AM »
Erm... If i'm not wrong... Aren't tubes already semi-tranparent? Well, anyway, windows in tubes may not even be needed to built, just after some minor research is done (Improved Transparent Materials) every few spaces or so would have windows, i'd give a minor morale bonus

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
Windows In Tubes
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 09:24:49 AM »
i always thought that the tubes were more or less a "representation" of underground tunnels but due to game limitations or perhaps by design, only the very top of the tube sticking out from under the surface is shown. tubes can be driven over so having windows sort of defeats that ability.

if you want to get really specific about it, if tubes had windows they would now be vulnerable to blight. if tubes have windows they now need seals around the windows which are exposed to the surface. blight gets in, spreads thru the tubes to the structures and youre dead.

my main point was the first. we arent even living on other planets and yet even WE (at this point in history) know that the safest way to get from place to place on a hostile world is through the use of underground, concrete tunnels. the colonists in op2 would of course know this and building a tube with the top sticking out is just as difficult as burying the whole thing so it cant be ruled out as 'more efficient'. we see tubes on the surface because it was easier than having an underground view that had to be switched on. i havent played op1 but isnt their tube system like this? anyway, i consider underground tubes canon and their surface visibility merely an aid for players. tubes having windows doesnt work because tubes arent 'really' on the surface and they would only provide another system to fail or be exploited.

Offline Sirbomber

Windows In Tubes
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 01:18:47 PM »
Underground tubes were underground in OP1, and surface tubes were not underground. But they did have windows above ground.

But yeah, several story/help file excerpts seem to conclude that the tubes are underground.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Vexhare

Windows In Tubes
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2006, 10:08:44 PM »
I just see it as a safety risk... scout rolling by, knocks up a rock and SWOOOSH, 20 kids on the way to class out the window.

Offline Jgamer

Windows In Tubes
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 08:52:16 PM »
Remeber the Tiger "Tales of New Terra"? It has a Tiger crashing through a tube and then the human controller sparing the life of the man tryeing to save the children. Tubes ARE above ground, how does vehicles go through them (ramps) is above me

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
Windows In Tubes
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 11:12:21 PM »
hmm, now that I think about it, this isn't such a good idea.... it's cool though ^^, it just doesn't fit well, and it's not very practical.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline Sirbomber

Windows In Tubes
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 07:09:46 AM »
Remeber the Tiger "Tales of New Terra"? It has a Tiger crashing through a tube and then the human controller sparing the life of the man tryeing to save the children. Tubes ARE above ground, how does vehicles go through them (ramps) is above me
I will now proceed to use that against you!
He was pelted with rock and thrown against the far wall.  He looked up, and the service cart appeared to be okay.  Then he looked back to see what had happened.

A good 50 meters of tunnel had caved in, forming a ramp of debris from the surface down to the tunnel floor, a ramp that was occupied by a fast-moving enemy Tiger.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Jgamer

Windows In Tubes
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 10:57:44 AM »
Amen, Sirbomber. Thanks for clarifying that for me then.