Author Topic: Earthworker Can Build Pavement  (Read 8052 times)

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Earthworker Can Build Pavement
« on: March 19, 2006, 05:46:48 PM »
Earthworker can build pavement

Originally proposed by Freeza-CII

Related ideas:

- Advanced Terrain Modification

Description:

Earthworkers can build pavement that increases vehicle speed more than dozed land.
Maybe road materials from extra factory required.

This is a good idea, because:

- roads where also available in op1.

EDIT (leeor_net): fixing links
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 12:17:26 AM by leeor_net »

Offline Isolocis

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 02:53:00 AM »
It reminds me of concrete slabs from Dune 2000.  Buildings that were not built on slabs suffered climate and weather damage.  They were also destructible.  I'm not sure what to say about the idea though.  I'm neutral on this idea.

Offline omagaalpha

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 09:35:21 AM »
sound like cool idea to me and make so there more stuff to destroy at enemy base to hurt them :P
Sorry if my grammar and spelling is bad, but I have disablity with it.
Yes, English is the first and only language that I know.

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 08:25:00 PM »
I don't really like the idea of concrete roads.... maybe a synthetic material made out of materials in the dirt?
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline omagaalpha

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 08:52:52 PM »
yea it would not be concrete, in fact I never got a impression that in outpost 1 the roads were made out synthetic material.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 10:23:09 AM by omagaalpha »

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 10:59:56 PM »
Concrete slab or some thing simular in strength is what i see not any thing like black top with yellow and white lines.

This idea comes from when me and a friend play and we build these highways all over the around the world map and then drive down them and battle it out lol.  fortifications all over the side of the roads.

Btw way the highway we built is (cross section)  wall, dozed ground, tube, dozed ground, wall.  having pavement instead of dozed ground would make it better.  plus think if you had to use paved ground instead of dozed ground.  could mean faster ore or a road way to your enemy so you can blitzgrieg them.

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2006, 08:53:07 AM »
this is a good idea but there wouldnt be that many places that roads would actualy be built. maybe between colonies for trade routes and maybe form factorys to the front of the base.

but in real games people would use em for all sorts. maybe units could auto go to them and drive on them if they are there.

Offline omagaalpha

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2006, 10:26:51 AM »
lev that is good a point the unit should program to automatical if save time units to use road take them to destination.
(could use automatical if save time units to make less effieciet without robot command center existing too)

Offline Stormy

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2006, 11:43:10 AM »
Eh, I like the idea, i just don't want something ugly whiteish concrete colored... besides, it would be colored differently because of Cythera's different soil color.

stormy

Edit, here is what I have in mind for Cythera if this were to be implemented.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 12:36:28 PM by Stormy »

Offline Tramis

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2006, 02:20:33 PM »
I like this idea, it would simply be like bulldozed ground (vecs move faster, stucs build faster etc) but more so.

Offline Chandler

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2006, 09:50:59 PM »
Q - How would you put both tubes and pavement down. Would you have to tube first then pave?
Chandler

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2006, 02:46:12 AM »
Well you wouldnt need pavement between buildings,  and you woudlnt be able to have pavement and tube on the same square.

Offline Tramis

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2006, 03:24:22 AM »
The tube would protrude up from the pavement.  I'd say it could go either order, as the pavement would be built around the tube, and the pavement could be torn out to make room for a tube.  Building a tube on top of pavement though, would thus take longer.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 01:21:54 PM by Tramis »

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2006, 10:53:58 PM »
And that would provide a bit of a counterbalance

I like the idea, would be great for arena games...I loved those ones, lol
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Stormy

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2006, 11:55:50 PM »
In fact, we may not even have tubes above the ground. We may have a display mode that lets you change from a surface view, to a underground view of sorts showing the tube complex.

Offline Tramis

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2006, 02:45:43 AM »
That would be cool
Perhaps in addition to the underground tubes, you could expand your structures underground to increase their storage capacity...

But that is a suggestion for another thread *goes off to make said thread* :)

Offline Skydock Command

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2006, 03:33:00 PM »
I like the idea of roads. I dont realy care what they look like as long as it doesnt look like concerete or cement or simmaller materials.
Savant Computer: Communications link established.
Skydock: This is Skydock Command. We have received your message.

Offline Rags

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2006, 08:00:59 AM »
I disagree with the idea of roads. This is not a city or a town, its an outpost of the last surviving humans. unless the new planet has a breatheable atmosphere where the colonists can go for a stroll in the evenings the idea of pavements seems a bit unneccesary. there is a robodozer to create paths for the vehicles.

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2006, 12:17:10 PM »
lol well i wasnt thinking about colonist strolling about i ws thinking it would improve productivity by speeding some things up like ore routes and getting to buildings that need to be repaired faster.  But it has its down side people and run to your CC faster and other such buildings.

Offline White Claw

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2006, 10:50:34 PM »
I think that's the idea behind bulldozing anyhow. Stripping off the top layer of loose material to expose hardend bedrock below. (Results in a surface like concrete.)

(New thread coming)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 10:56:14 PM by White Claw »

Offline Savant 231-A

• https://www.outpost2.net
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2006, 01:21:13 PM »
hmm pavement will be a good idea if there is a little quake, and i should lower the damage caused by quakes.
Gordon Freeman, and mr. Crowbar would own Master Chief in any part of the day.
"Come here citizen."

"From the ashes of the collapse we seek to build a better world for all."

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2006, 02:03:17 PM »
Yes, when I saw the title the first thing I thought of was Dune 2000. (I hate having to build concrete in that game).

It seems pointless to me, at least for speeding up ore routes and such, because isn't that what the Robo-Dozer is for?

Unless you wanted to get rid of the robo dozer and replace it with concrete. However to balance that out, you would need to make the concrete free (bulldozing doesn't cost anything, it just takes a long time).

Oh, by the way, if the atmosphere is like that of Venus, no concrete is going to last very long. (The acid would damage it)

Offline Stormy

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2006, 09:48:06 AM »
Well you wouldnt need pavement between buildings,  and you woudlnt be able to have pavement and tube on the same square. you WOULD however, have to most likely build the tube before the pavement. Otherwise, it would take 2x as long to build the tube. The tube would be built using a tubing machine (I saw a TV show about one in China), with debris pumped down the colony's tube system. I personally think that this would be a better way to do tubes.
I think we decided that tubes are underground. The only reason that the Op2 developers put them "above ground" in a sense, is to allow the player to know where the tubes are. Simply put, in OP3, we would have an "underground, or tube" mode, that would turn the terrain to a wireframe, and possibly the buildings, or have a lower opacity with the buildings themselves (I'm unsure how that should work from a UI standpoint).

Offline Freeza-CII

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2006, 12:21:32 PM »
Sorry but I have never played any of the dune games.

Offline BlackBox

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2006, 02:11:42 PM »
I think we decided that tubes are underground. The only reason that the Op2 developers put them "above ground" in a sense, is to allow the player to know where the tubes are. Simply put, in OP3, we would have an "underground, or tube" mode, that would turn the terrain to a wireframe, and possibly the buildings, or have a lower opacity with the buildings themselves (I'm unsure how that should work from a UI standpoint).
This makes the most sense, considering that tubes must be driven on top of (and a huge cargo truck isn't going to drive over any tube that is sticking out of the ground without doing major damage to it)

Another option (if you've played the Moon Project you should know what I'm talking about, they do this with the 'power range' which shows little lightning bolts on the map when you push F9) is to have a mode where it just draws lines on the map indicating where tubes are.

The other thing would be to have 'posts' or some other type of object sticking out of the ground where the tubes are (and just place them in such a way that units would be able to drive past / around these posts without hitting them).

Think of things like poles to indicate where snow removal equipment should not go (if you live in a region that gets heavy amounts of snow), or those markers that are used to indicate the position of natural gas, water, or telephone system lines (where I live, large yellow tubular poles are used to show where a natural gas line is buried, you've most likely seen the smaller flags / signs to indicate fiber optic and telephone lines).

---

As for the pavement, if you are to use pavement it shouldn't be a prerequisite to building (nor should it make buildings fall apart if theyre not built on it).

If it does anything it should just be like a "super bulldozing" where units go even faster and structures build faster.